New Compton Street, WC2H

Buildings in this area date from the nineteenth century or before

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
34.207.152.62 
Adam and Eve Court · Adam Street · Adelphi Terrace · Air Street · Aldwych · Aldwych · Aldwych · Alfred Mews · All Souls CofE Primary School · Archer Street · Arundel Street · Babmaes Street · Bainbridge Street · Bainbridge Street · Beak Street · Bear Street · Berners Street · Birkbeck College · Blackmoore Street (1902) · Bloomsbury Square · Bloomsbury Street · Boswell Street · Brewer Street · British Museum · British Museum · Broadwick Street · BT Tower · Burlington Gardens · Burlington Gardens · Buses outside the National Gallery · Cambridge Circus · Carlisle Walk · Carnaby Street · Carting Lane · Catherine Street · CATS College London · Cecil Court · Centre Point House · Charing Cross · Charlotte Street · City Lit · Clare Market · Clement’s Inn · Cleveland Street · Cleveland Street · Clipstone Mews · Conduit Avenue · Conduit Street · Cosmo Place · Courtauld Institute of Art · Courtauld Institute of Art · Covent Garden · Coventry Street · Cranbourn Street · Denmark Place · Denmark Street · Dombey Street · Eagle Street · Eastcastle Street · Ecole Jeannine Manuel · Embankment · Endell Street · Evelyn Yard · Exeter Street · Falconberg Mews · Fashion Retail Academy · Fitzrovia · Flaxman Court · Flichcroft Street · Flitcroft Street · Foubert’s Place · Garrick Yard · George Court · Goodge Street · Goslett Yard · Grape Street · Great Castle Street · Great Court · Great Marlborough Street · Great Russell Street · Great Russell Street · Great Turnstile · Great Windmill Street · Greek Court · Greek Street · Heddon Street · High Holborn · High Holborn · High Holborn · Hobhouse Court · Holborn · Hopkins Street · Horse and Dolphin Yard · Houghton Square · Houghton Street (1906) · Houghton Street · Howard Street · Irving Street · Ivybridge Lane · Jermyn Street · John Adam Street · John Street · John’s Mews · Kemble Street · Kemp’s Court · Kingsgate Street · Kingsway · Lamb’s Conduit Passage · Lamb’s Conduit Street · Lamb’s Mews · Leicester Square · Leicester Square · Les Cousins · Lincoln’s Inn Fields · Lincoln’s Inn Fields · Lisle’s Tennis Court · Little Titchfield Street · London Hippodrome · London School of Economics and Political Science · London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine · Manette Street · Maple Leaf Walk · Martlett Court · May’s Court · Melbourne Place · Montague Place · Montreal Place · Morwell Street · Neals Yard · New Burlington Street · New Inn Passage (1901) · New Oxford Street · New Square Passage · Newport Court · Norfolk Street · Old Bond Street · Old Compton Street · Orange Street · Orange Street · Orange Street · Ormond Close · Oxendon Street · Oxford Circus Avenue · Oxford Street · Oxford Street · Peabody Trust Estate · Peabody Trust Estate · Phoenix Street · Piccadilly Circus · Piccadilly Circus · Piccadilly Theatre · Piccadilly · Piccadilly · Queen Annes Square · Queen's Arms (1890) · Rathbone Place · Regent Square · Regent Street · River Terrace · Robert Street · Royal Academy of Dramatic Art · Royal Opera House · Rupert Court · Rupert Street · Russell Square · Russell Street · Saint Giles High Street · Saint Martin’s Lane · Saint Martin’s Court · Saint Martin’s Place · Sardinia Street · Savile Row · Savoy Hill · Savoy Way · Scala Theatre · School of Oriental and African Studies · Serle Street · Shaftesbury Avenue · Shelton Street · Shipley's Drawing School · Soho · Soho Parish CofE Primary School · Soho Square · Sounding Alley · Southampton Row · St Anne’s Court · St Clement Danes CofE Primary School · St Clement’s Passage · St Giles · St Giles High Street · St Josephs Catholic Primary School · Stacey Street · Strand (1890s) · Strand Lane · Strand Underpass · Strand · Suffolk Place · Sutton Row · Tavistock Street · Temple · The Adelphi · The Edmund J. Safra Fountain Court · The Gallery · The Mary Ward Centre (AE Centre) · The Royal Ballet School · Theobald’s Road · Thomas Neal’s shopping centre · Tottenham Court Road · Tottenham Court Road (1927) · Tottenham Court Road · University of London · University of the Arts London · Upper John Street · Upper Saint Martin’s Lane · Upper St Martin’s Lane · Victoria Embankment · Villiers Street · Walker’s Court · Wardour Mews · Wardour Street · Watergate Walk · Waterloo Bridge · Wells Mews · Wells Street · West End Children’s Centre · Whetstone Park · Wild Street (1902) · Wilder Walk · William IV Street · Willoughby Street · Winsley Street · Wych Street · Wyld’s Great Globe · York Place · Yorkshire Grey Yard
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · St Giles · WC2H · Contributed by The Underground Map
JANUARY
1
2000

New Compton Street is one of the streets of London in the WC2H postal area.


VIEW THE ST GILES AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE ST GILES AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE ST GILES AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE ST GILES AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE ST GILES AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

St Giles

St Giles is a district of London, at the southern tip of the London Borough of Camden.

There has been a church at St Giles since Saxon times, located beside a major highway. The hospital of St Giles, recorded c. 1120 as Hospitali Sancti Egidii extra Londonium was founded, together with a monastery and a chapel, by Queen Matilda, wife of Henry I. St Giles (c. 650 – c. 710) was the patron saint of lepers and the hospital was home to a leper colony, the site chosen for its surrounding fields and marshes separating contagion from nearby London.

A village grew up to cater to the brethren and patients. The crossroads which is now St Giles Circus, where Oxford Street, Charing Cross Road, Tottenham Court Road and New Oxford St meet, was the site of a gallows until the fifteenth century. Grape Street, in the heart of the St Giles district, runs beside the site of the hospital's vineyard.

The monastery was dissolved during the Reformation and a parish church created from the chapel. The hospital continued to care for lepers until the mid sixteenth century, when the disease abated and the hospital instead began to care for indigents. The parish was known as St Giles in the Fields and it is recorded in 1563 as Seynt Gyles in the Field.

The first post-Catholic parish church was built in 1631 and from the mid-seventeenth century church wardens note "a great influx of poor people into this parish".

The 1665 Great Plague started in St Giles and the first victims were buried in the St Giles churchyard. By September 1665, 8000 people were dying a week in London. By the end of the plague year there were 3216 listed plague deaths in St Giles parish, which had fewer than 2000 households. After the Restoration, the area was populated by Huguenot refugees who had fled persecution and established themselves as tradesmen and artisans, particularly in weaving and the silk trade.

The southern area of the parish, around present day Shaftesbury Avenue, was a wasteland named Cock and Pye Fields. Houses were not built there until 1666, after the Great Fire, and not fully developed until 1693, becoming known as Seven Dials. Thomas Neale built much of the area, giving his name to Neal Street and Neal's Yard. St Giles and Seven Dials became known for their astrologers and alchemists, an association which lasts to this day. The village of St Giles stood on the main road from Holborn to Tyburn, a place of local execution. Convicted criminals were often allowed, in tradition, to stop at St Giles en route to Tyburn for a final drink - a St Giles Bowl - before hanging.

The ancient parish of St Giles in the Fields formed part of the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. The parish of St George Bloomsbury was split off in 1731, but the parishes were combined for civil purposes in 1774 and used for the administration of the Poor Law after the Poor Law Amendment Act 1834.

As London grew in the 18th and 19th centuries, so did the parish's population, rising to 30 000 by 1831. The Rookery stood between the church and Great Russell Street, and Seven Dials near where Centre Point stands today, now home to the Centrepoint homeless charity. It was of one of the worst slums within Britain, a site of overcrowding and squalor, a semi-derelict warren. From Georgian affluence in the 18th century, the area declined rapidly, as houses were divided up, many families sharing a single room. Irish Catholic immigrants seeking to escape desperate poverty took up residence and the slum was nicknamed 'Little Ireland' or 'The Holy Land'. The expression "a St Giles cellar" passed into common parlance, describing the worst conditions of poverty. Open sewers often ran through rooms and cesspits were left untended. Residents complained to the Times in 1849 : "We live in muck and filth. We aint got no priviz, no dust bins, no drains, no water-splies, and no drain or suer in the hole place." The rookery was a maze of gin shops, prostitutes' hovels and secret alleyways that police had little of hope navigating. William Hogarth, Thomas Rowlandson and Gustav Dore, among others, have drawn the area, novelists Henry Fielding and Charles Dickens have written about it extensively. Peter Ackroyd writes "The Rookeries embodied the worst living conditions in all of London's history; this was the lowest point which human beings could reach".

From the 1830s to the 1870s plans were developed to demolish the slum as part of London wide clearances for improved transport routes, sanitation and the expansion of the railways. New Oxford Street was driven through the area to join the areas of Oxford Street and Holborn. The Rookery dwellers were not re-housed by the authorities. 5000 were evicted and many just moved into near by slums, such Devil's Acre and Church Lane making those more overcrowded still. The unchanging character of the area, failing investment schemes and inability to sell new properties ensured that plans for wholesale clearance were stymied until the end of the century.

Upon the creation of the Metropolitan Board of Works in 1855 the combined parishes became the St Giles District and were transferred to the County of London in 1889.

The local government of London was reorganised in 1900 and St Giles became part of the Metropolitan Borough of Holborn.

The Central London Railway opened Tottenham Court Tube Station, between the Church of St Giles in the Fields and St Giles Circus on 30 July 1900. Tottenham Court Road underwent improvements in the early 1930s to replace lifts with escalators.

In 2009, Transport for London began a major reconstruction of large parts of the station. Much of the St Giles area alongside St Giles High Street was cleared to make way for the new development including Crossrail expansion.

Since 1965. St Giles has been part of the London Borough of Camden.
Print-friendly version of this page

Links

Shaftesbury Avenue | British History Online
Warren Street
Facebook Page
Leicester Square
Facebook Page
Holborn
Facebook Page
Tottenham Court Road
Facebook Page
Goodge Street
Facebook Page
Euston Square
Facebook Page
Embankment
Facebook Page
Covent Garden
Facebook Page
Charing Cross
Facebook Page
Piccadilly Circus
Facebook Page
Russell Square
Facebook Page

Maps


Cruchley's New Plan of London (1848) FREE DOWNLOAD
Cruchley's New Plan of London Shewing all the new and intended improvements to the Present Time. - Cruchley's Superior Map of London, with references to upwards of 500 Streets, Squares, Public Places & C. improved to 1848: with a compendium of all Place of Public Amusements also shewing the Railways & Stations.
G. F. Cruchley

Cary's New And Accurate Plan of London and Westminster (1818) FREE DOWNLOAD
Cary's map provides a detailed view of London. With print date of 1 January 1818, Cary's map has 27 panels arranged in 3 rows of 9 panels, each measuring approximately 6 1/2 by 10 5/8 inches. The complete map measures 32 1/8 by 59 1/2 inches. Digitising this map has involved aligning the panels into one contiguous map.
John Cary

John Rocque Map of London (1762) FREE DOWNLOAD
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map covers central London at a reduced level of detail compared with his 1745-6 map.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1843) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured.
Chapman and Hall, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1836) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Insets: A view of the Tower from London Bridge -- A view of London from Copenhagen Fields. Includes views of facades of 25 structures "A comparison of the principal buildings of London."
Chapman and Hall, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.