Brent Street

Hamlet in Hendon, existing until 1930

 HOME  ARTICLE  MAP  FULLSCREEN  EDIT  STREETS  RECENT  BLOG  HELP 
Click here to log in on Facebook Advanced
MAPPING:1750180018301860190019302017Fullscreen map
Hamlet · Hendon · NW4 · Contributed by The Underground Map
April
25
2017
Click to enlarge image.


The largest hamlet of Hendon parish was Brent Street. It retained its identity until the late 19th, when building linked it with Church End and the Burroughs.

Brent Street was noted for its large houses, the largest of which was Hendon House. Many cottages and shops clustered about the junction of Brent Street and Bell Lane, including the Bell, mentioned in 1751 and considerably altered by 1970. Villas built between Bell Lane and Parson Street in the early 19th century, almost linking the hamlet of Brent Street with Church End, have all been demolished.

At the foot of Brent Street another group of substantial houses included, on the north bank, Brent Bridge House, an 18th-century stuccoed building, later the seat of the Whishaws, part of which survives as the Brent Bridge hotel. Brook Lodge, south of the river, was an 18th-century farm-house converted by Charles Whishaw into a gentleman’s residence shortly before 1828 and demolished in 1935, after serving as an annexe to the hotel. Among other houses near Brent Bridge in 1754 were those later known as Bridge House, Holmebush, and Decoy House (so named after a decoy on the Brent).

Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence

VIEW THE HENDON AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE HENDON AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE HENDON AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE HENDON AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE HENDON AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

 
 Upload an image
You can add an image to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 Add new information to this location
You can add text to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 
 Log on via Facebook
You can use a Facebook id to add material to this website.

Go to Hendon Central

Hendon Central

Hendon Central tube station is on the Edgware branch of the Northern Line, between Colindale and Brent Cross stations, and is on the boundary between Travelcard Zone 3 and Zone 4.

Hendon Central, like all stations north from Golders Green, is a surface station (although the tracks enter twin tunnels a short distance further north on the way to Colindale). When it was built it stood in lonely glory amid fields, as one writer puts it, south of the old village of Hendon, which has since been swallowed up by London's suburbs.

The station is a Grade II listed building, designed in a neo-Georgian style by Stanley Heaps, who also designed Brent Cross tube station in a similar style, with a prominent portico featuring a Doric colonnade.

The fact that the area was largely undeveloped allowed a hitherto unusual degree of coordination between the station and the surrounding buildings that were constructed over the next few years. The station was intended to be the centre and a key architectural feature of a new suburban town; it faces a circus 73 metres in diameter that is intersected by four approach roads which provide access to all parts of Hendon and the surrounding areas beyond. For many years this was a roundabout known as 'Central Circus'; however it is now a crossroads controlled by traffic signals.

Writing in 1932, William Passingham commended the integrated approach taken at Hendon Central as an outstanding example of the co-ordination of road-planning with passenger station requirements. He noted, only nine years after the station opened, that it had already become the centre of an ever-widening cluster of new houses.


LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Foster House:   Foster House and Brent Lodge were two 18th-century brick houses at the corner of Butcher's Lane and Brent Street. Butcher's Lane later became Queen’s Road
Hendon:   Hendon railway station is a National Rail station situated to the west of Hendon, in the London Borough of Barnet.
Hendon House:   Hendon House was a gabled building built probably in the 16th century.
Hendon Park:   Hendon Park, totalling 30 acres, between Queens Road (formerly Butchers Lane) and Shire Hall Lane was created by Hendon Urban District Council in 1903.


NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Admiral Court, NW4 · Albert Road, NW4 · Alexandra Road, NW4 · Algernon Road, NW4 · Aprey Gardens, NW4 · Ashley Lane, NW4 · Audley Road, NW4 · Babington Road, NW4 · Bell Lane, NW4 · Bertram Road, NW4 · Boyne Avenue, NW4 · Brampton Grove, NW4 · Brampton Lane, NW4 · Breasy Place, NW4 · Brent Green, NW4 · Brent Park Road, NW4 · Brent Street, NW4 · Brinsdale Road, NW4 · Buckingham Court, NW4 · Burroughs Gardens, NW4 · Burroughs Parade, NW4 · Cedars Close, NW4 · Chatsworth Avenue, NW4 · Christchurch Hall, NW4 · Church End, NW4 · Church Road, NW4 · Church Terrace, NW4 · Colindeep Gardens, NW4 · Courtney House, NW4 · Danescroft Avenue, NW4 · Downage, NW4 · Edgeworth Close, NW4 · Edinburgh House, NW4 · Egerton Gardens, NW4 · Endersleigh Gardens, NW4 · Finchley Lane, NW4 · Florence Street, NW4 · Foster Street, NW4 · Fuller Street, NW4 · Golders Rise, NW4 · Green Lane, NW4 · Green Walk, NW4 · Greenbank Crescent, NW4 · Greyhound Hill, NW4 · Hall Lane, NW4 · Harmony Way, NW4 · Hendale Avenue, NW4 · Hendon, NW4 · Heriot Road, NW4 · Hillview Gardens, NW4 · Holmbrook Drive, NW4 · Johns Avenue, NW4 · Kings Close, NW4 · Layfield Road, NW4 · Lea Wood, NW4 · Lisselton House, NW4 · Lodge Road, NW4 · Lower Ground Sentinel Square, NW4 · Montagu Road, NW4 · Mount Road, NW4 · Neeld Cresent, NW4 · New Brent Street, NW4 · Newark Parade, NW4 · Park View Gardens, NW4 · Parson Street, NW4 · Queens Parade, NW4 · Queens Road, NW4 · Queens Way, NW4 · Raleigh Close, NW4 · Ravenshurst Avenue, NW4 · Rickard Close, NW4 · Rockfield House, NW4 · Rowsley Avenue, NW4 · Second Avenue, NW4 · Selborne Gardens, NW4 · Sentinel Square, NW4 · Sherrock Gardens, NW4 · Southfields, NW4 · St Davids Place, NW4 · St Josephs Grove, NW4 · Station Road, NW4 · Sturgess Avenue, NW4 · Sunningfields Road, NW4 · Sunny Gardens Parade, NW4 · Sunny Gardens Road, NW4 · Sunny Hill, NW4 · Sunny Place, NW4 · Sutton Parade, NW4 · Talbot Crescent, NW4 · Tenterden Drive, NW4 · Tenterden Gardens, NW4 · Tenterden Grove, NW4 · The Approach, NW4 · The Burroughs, NW4 · The Crest, NW4 · The Garage, NW4 · Vaughan Avenue, NW4 · Vicarage Road, NW4 · Victoria Road, NW4 · Watford Way, NW4 · West Avenue, NW4 · Westhorpe Gardens, NW4 · Woodward Avenue, NW4 ·


USING THIS MATERIAL IN OTHER ARTICLES


COMMENTS

Print-friendly version of this page

Links

Hendon Central
Facebook Page
Brent Cross
Facebook Page
Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
Londonist
All-encompassing website
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Time Out
Listings magazine

Maps


Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 


COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or – from the available evidence – are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.