Shepherd’s Bush Market

Underground station, existing between 1864 and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
3.234.245.125 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302020Fullscreen map
Underground station · Shepherd's Bush Market · W12 ·
July
1
2017

Shepherd’s Bush Market is a station on both the Hammersmith & City and Circle lines.


The Metropolitan Railway (MR) opened the original station on 13 June 1864 as Shepherd’s Bush on its new extension to Hammersmith. From 1 October 1877 until 31 December 1906 the MR also ran direct services along this line to Richmond via Hammersmith (Grove Road).

The original Shepherd’s Bush station closed in 1914 to be replaced by two new stations which opened on 1 April 1914: the new Shepherd’s Bush station resited a short distance north across the Uxbridge Road, and Goldhawk Road about half a kilometre to the south. Those stations remain in those locations but nothing exists of the former station buildings in the marketplace.

In 1900 the Central London Railway (CLR) opened its Shepherd’s Bush station, now the Central line station, at the other end of Shepherd’s Bush Green. For 108 years there were two Tube stations of the same name a third of a mile apart.

In 2008 the new London Overground Shepherd’s Bush railway station was opened on the West London Line. To avoid the confusion of three stations named Shepherd’s Bush, the Hammersmith & City line station was renamed Shepherd’s Bush Market on 12 October 2008. The other two on the Central line and the West London line are next to each other.


Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence

xxx

User unknown/public domain

THE STREETS OF SHEPHERD’S BUSH MARKET
Hopgood Street, W12 Hopgood Street is a road in the W12 postcode area
Macfarlane Road, W12 Macfarlane Road is a road in the W12 postcode area



 

Shepherd's Bush Market

Shepherd’s Bush Market is a station on both the Hammersmith & City and Circle lines.

The Metropolitan Railway (MR) opened the original station on 13 June 1864 as Shepherd’s Bush on its new extension to Hammersmith. From 1 October 1877 until 31 December 1906 the MR also ran direct services along this line to Richmond via Hammersmith (Grove Road).

The original Shepherd’s Bush station closed in 1914 to be replaced by two new stations which opened on 1 April 1914: the new Shepherd’s Bush station resited a short distance north across the Uxbridge Road, and Goldhawk Road about half a kilometre to the south. Those stations remain in those locations but nothing exists of the former station buildings in the marketplace.

In 1900 the Central London Railway (CLR) opened its Shepherd’s Bush station, now the Central line station, at the other end of Shepherd’s Bush Green. For 108 years there were two Tube stations of the same name a third of a mile apart.

In 2008 the new London Overground Shepherd’s Bush railway station was opened on the West London Line. To avoid the confusion of three stations named Shepherd’s Bush, the Hammersmith & City line station was renamed Shepherd’s Bush Market on 12 October 2008. The other two on the Central line and the West London line are next to each other.
Print-friendly version of this page