North End Road, NW11

Road in/near Golders Green, existing until now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
35.170.76.39 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Golders Green · NW11 ·
APRIL
23
2017

North End Road ultimately links Hampstead with Hendon.


It has for centuries been a thoroughfare which diverted from the Hampstead to Highgate Road (Spaniard’s Road) at the highest point in north London, beside Jack Straw’s Castle.

Then it ran towards Hendon - long ago the major settlement in this part of Middlesex.

It was called North End Road because it ran past North End - part of Hampstead beside the old Bull and Bush Pub. The name was interchangeable with Golders Green Road.

East of what become the Finchley Road when that road was laid out in the 1830s, North End Road was often called Golders Green Road.

West of that junction, Golders Green Road has similarly been North End Road at times.

A little known fact is that one single road under multiple names runs north from Trafalgar Square and only reaches its conclusion at a T junction in Mill Hill village at a pub called the Rising Sun. (South to north: Charing Cross Road, Tottenham Court Road, Hampstead Road, Camden High Street, Chalk Farm Road, Haverstock Hill, Hampstead High Street, Heath Street, North End Way, North End Road, Golders Green Road, Brent Street, Parson Street, Holders Hill Road, Bittacy Hill, The Ridgeway and Highwood Hill).

xxx

User unknown/public domain


 

Golders Green

Golders Green was a rural hamlet at the crossroads of Finchley Road and North End Road until the arrival of the tube in 1907.

Golders Green station was opened by the Charing Cross, Euston & Hampstead Railway (CCE&HR, now part of the Northern Line) on 22 June 1907. It was one of the railway's two northern terminals (the other being at Archway) and was also the site of the railway's depot.

Before World War I plans were made to extend the CCE&HR north from Golders Green to Hendon and Edgware to open up new areas of the Middlesex countryside to development and to create a source of new passengers. The war postponed the construction of the extension and work did not begin until 12 June 1922. The first section of the extension, as far as Hendon Central opened on 19 November 1923.
Print-friendly version of this page


COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.