North End Way, NW3

Road in/near North End, existing until now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  FULLSCREEN  STREETS  RECENT  BLOG  HELP  CONTACT 
54.234.228.185 Advanced
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302018Fullscreen map
Road · North End · NW3 · Contributed by The Underground Map
December
4
2017



North End Way is the name for the southernmost section of North End Road - running from Hampstead to Golders Green.

North End Way runs through an area once known as Littleworth.

The advertisement for Old Court House in 1839, a detached residence with extensive views, suitable for a ’family of respectability’, could have applied to any of the houses along North End Way. Old Court House was used as an estate office during the 1850s and 1860s although there is no evidence that courts were held there but the other houses continued as substantial family homes.

In 1841 the inhabitants of the former Littleworth in other houses included merchants at Fern and Heath lodges, a banker at Hill House, a clergyman at Camelford Cottage, a solicitor at Crewe Cottage, and several described as ’independent’. A major-general lived in Fern Lodge in 1851 and his widow and daughter were still there in 1890.

From 1872 until 1890 or later Heathlands was the home of Hugh M. Matheson, the Far Eastern merchant.

By 1890 Sir Richard Temple, Bt., had built Heath Brow on the site of Crewe Cottage.

The elder Samuel Hoare’s widow Hannah lived in Heath House which remained with the family until c. 1911 but was leased by 1876. It was occupied from 1888 by Sir Algernon Borthwick, later Baron Glenesk (1830-1908), the newspaper proprietor, and by 1911 by Edward C. Guinness, Viscount and later earl of Iveagh (1847- 1927), the philanthropist. When he left for Kenwood in 1919, Guinness was succeeded by his third son the statesman Walter Edward Guinness, later Baron Moyne (1880-1944).

The second residence of the Hoares, Hill House, was occupied after the younger Samuel’s death successively by his sons John Gurney (d. 1876) and Francis until 1895. In 1896 Sir Samuel Hoare, Bt., John Gurney’s son, sold it to George Fisher, who rebuilt the house. He sold it in 1904 to William H. Lever, later Viscount Leverhulme (1851-1925), the soap manufacturer, who made further additions, including a ballroom and art gallery, and acquired the neighbouring Heath Lodge in 1911 and Cedar Lawn in 1914. Heath Lodge was demolished and Thomas Mawson designed grounds for the combined estate.

Cedar Lawn, which served as a hospital during the First World War and subsequently as a maternity home, was demolished in 1922. In 1925 the whole estate was bought by Lord Inverforth (1865-1955), the shipowner, and the new house named Inverforth House.

In 1941 a land-mine destroyed Heathlands and Heath Brow and damaged Jack Straw’s Castle and Heath House. Jack Straw’s Castle was rebuilt in 1962.

Heath House was repaired, occupied from 1971 by Peter King, the publisher, and, despite its sale in 1977 to a property developer, survived as a ’large, square, somewhat grim-looking Georgian house of brown brick’.

In 1948 the Hampstead Heath Protection society bought the site of Fern Lodge and presented it to the LCC, which itself compulsorily purchased the site of Heathlands in 1951, the combined ground being opened to the public as part of the heath in 1955. The L.C.C. bought the site of Heath Brow in 1953 as a car park for visitors to the heath, and in 1955 part of the former garden of Heath Lodge, which it opened to the public in 1963. Lord Inverforth left his estate in 1955 to Manor House hospital. Old Court House survived, a square building with a central portico and wings, dating from the early 18th century and refaced later in the century; it was converted to old people’s flats in the 1960s.

Source: British History Online



ADD A STORY TO NORTH END WAY

Do you come from North End Way, NW3, or know it well? Tell your story here.
Ensure that contributions are kept civilised and are not abusive.
We store your comment's IP address and reserve the right to apply bans where community standards are violated.
Please enter your name:
Enter the information you wish to add to North End Way, NW3:
Please prove that you are a human by typing the text that you see in the picture below.
CAPTCHA Image
Refresh Image
You can completely dispense with this CAPTCHA palava by logging onto our Facebook app.
Contribution type:
 

If you authorise our The Undeground Map Facebook app by clicking the Facebook logo at the top right of the screen, you can add stories, photos and more to this location.
Note that the Undeground Map Facebook app does not post to Facebook on your behalf.
ndhEmuts
ndhEmuts   
Added: 19 Nov 2018 04:53 GMT   
IP: 178.159.37.97
2:1:25082
Post by ndhEmuts: Hampstead Parochial Church of England Primary School

buy tadalafil buy cialis online cialis pill buy cialis online

bdginema
bdginema   
Added: 18 Nov 2018 21:35 GMT   
IP: 178.159.37.93
2:2:25082
Post by bdginema: Frognall Grove

cialis daily buy cialis online cialis without prescription cialis generic online

nfhSloto
nfhSloto   
Added: 17 Nov 2018 16:58 GMT   
IP: 178.159.37.39
2:3:25082
Post by nfhSloto: Frognall Grove

cialis online pharmacy cialis cheap order cialis online ?»?cialis

nehEmuts
nehEmuts   
Added: 17 Nov 2018 14:16 GMT   
IP: 178.159.37.97
2:4:25082
Post by nehEmuts: Frognall Grove

generic cialis online cialis cialis prescription buy cialis online

nwtSloto
nwtSloto   
Added: 16 Nov 2018 02:13 GMT   
IP: 178.159.37.39
2:5:25082
Post by nwtSloto: Hampstead Parochial Church of England Primary School

cheapest cialis generic cialis cialis online pharmacy buy cialis

bafSloto
bafSloto   
Added: 16 Nov 2018 02:05 GMT   
IP: 178.159.37.39
2:6:25082
Post by bafSloto: Hampstead Parochial Church of England Primary School

tadalafil generic ?»?cialis cialis generic cialis

nfhinema
nfhinema   
Added: 15 Nov 2018 03:09 GMT   
IP: 178.159.37.93
2:7:25082
Post by nfhinema: Frognall Grove

cialis pills buy cialis online cialis for sale cialis

fujinema
fujinema   
Added: 14 Nov 2018 23:31 GMT   
IP: 178.159.37.93
2:8:25082
Post by fujinema: Hampstead Parochial Church of England Primary School

discount cialis cialis cialis pills ?»?cialis online

bshEmuts
bshEmuts   
Added: 14 Nov 2018 21:57 GMT   
IP: 178.159.37.97
2:9:25082
Post by bshEmuts: Frognall Grove

buy cheap cialis buy cialis online cialis daily online cialis

bafSloto
bafSloto   
Added: 14 Nov 2018 11:51 GMT   
IP: 178.159.37.39
2:10:25082
Post by bafSloto: Frognall Grove

cheap cialis online cialis buy tadalafil ?»?cialis

nwtSloto
nwtSloto   
Added: 13 Nov 2018 20:47 GMT   
IP: 178.159.37.39
2:11:25082
Post by nwtSloto: Frognall Grove

generic cialis online cialis cialis canada buy cialis

xhjEmuts
xhjEmuts   
Added: 13 Nov 2018 17:49 GMT   
IP: 178.159.37.97
2:12:25082
Post by xhjEmuts: Frognall Grove

cialis soft cialis buy do you need a prescription for cialis ?»?cialis online

xhjEmuts
xhjEmuts   
Added: 13 Nov 2018 15:01 GMT   
IP: 178.159.37.97
2:13:25082
Post by xhjEmuts: Hampstead Parochial Church of England Primary School

cialis pills ?»?cialis online buy cialis without prescription cialis buy

nfhKaree
nfhKaree   
Added: 13 Nov 2018 02:19 GMT   
IP: 46.119.127.157
2:14:25082
Post by nfhKaree: Hampstead Parochial Church of England Primary School

order cialis online cialis buy cialis tadalafil online cialis

bfgGluby
bfgGluby   
Added: 12 Nov 2018 20:40 GMT   
IP: 46.118.127.109
2:15:25082
Post by bfgGluby: Hampstead Parochial Church of England Primary School

cialis professional ?»?cialis online cialis reviews generic cialis online

LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 18 Nov 2018 12:40 GMT   
IP:
3:16:25082
Post by LDNnews: Belsize Park
One rebel, one villain, two heroes and a hate figure: the stars at Elstree Studios in 1960
This week we go back 58 years to Elstree Studios and it is 1960 when film production still reigned supreme on the sound stages. The stars were a mixture of home grown talent and Hollywood imports.

https://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/news/17217773.1960-the-year-tony-hancock-george-sanders-jeff-chandler-richard-todd-and-laurence-harvey-were-on-set-at-elstree-studios/?ref=rss

VIEW THE NORTH END AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE NORTH END AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE NORTH END AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE NORTH END AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE NORTH END AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

North End

North End is a village-like area between Hampstead and Golders Green.

North End was the site of an Anglo-Saxon boundary points: Sandgate.

A wood, Wildwood, part of Eton College’s Wyldes estate in Hendon, probably originally extended across to the northern slopes of Hampstead Heath and by 1632 it marked the parish boundary. Until c. 1730 the ancient route across the heath to Hendon took a sharp westward turn, before turning north again. Its twists were presumably imposed by obstacles, probably dense woodland, at the location marked as Wildwood Corner c. 1672. About 1730 a cutting was made through the heath west of the old route, creating the modern North End Way (formerly Road), a more direct route to Hendon.

North End was the home of William Pitt the Elder in 1766–67. Wylde’s Farm has played host to William Blake and the ubiquitous Dickens. Some of its lands were bought in 1905 to become the Heath Extension. From 1906 to 1940 the farmhouse belonged to Raymond Unwin, architect of Hampstead Garden Suburb. In 1912 the dancer Anna Pavlova bought Ivy House, and lived here until she died in 1931.

North End was to have had the deepest tube station in London – at the Bull and Bush – but residents’ objections prevented it from ever opening. In the 1950s the partially built lower level was converted into an under­ground control centre for ‘floodgates’ on the deep tubes around central London. In case these gates should ever need to be used in a war situation the control room is allegedly ‘blast-​​protected’ – even against sustained nuclear attack.

Recent years have seen a growing number of ‘futur­ist­ically’ styled properties inserted into North End – to the distress of some residents who want to preserve its rural charm.


LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
6 Ellerdale Road:   6 Ellerdale Road is a house built by the Arts and Crafts movement architect Richard Norman Shaw for himself in the period 1874 to 1876.
An introduction to Hampstead by G.E. Mitton (1902):   This text originates from "The Fascination of Hampstead" by Geraldine Edith Mitton (published 1902)
Branch Hill Pond:   Branch Hill Pond which was fed from a spring which was also the main source of the Westbourne.
Bull and Bush:   The Old Bull and Bush is a Grade II listed public house near Hampstead Heath in London which gave its name to the music hall song ’Down at the old Bull and Bush’.
Camden Arts Centre:   Camden Arts Centre is a place for world-class contemporary art exhibitions and education.
Christ Church Primary School, Hampstead:   Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 4 and 11.
Devonshire House Preparatory School:   Devonshire House preparatory school is based in four large Victorian houses in Hampstead.
Devonshire House Preparatory School:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 2 and 13.
Everyman Cinema:   The Everyman, in Heath Street, Hampstead, opened as a cinema on 26 December 1933.
Fitzjohn’s Primary School:   Community school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 4 and 11.
Fitzjohn’s Primary School:   Fitzjohn’s Primary School is a community primary school, established in 1953.
Golders Hill Park Deer Enclosure:   
Great Hollow Elm:   The Great Hollow Elm stood at the top of Hampstead Heath.
Hampstead:   Hampstead though now considered an integral part of London, has retained much of its village charm.
Hampstead Heath Extension:   
Hampstead Parochial Church of England Primary School:   Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 4 and 11.
Hampstead Town:   This article first appeared in ’A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 9, Hampstead, Paddington’.
Hampstead tunnel:   Hampstead Tunnel, 1166 yards long, was built as part of the Hampstead Junction Railway, and opened on 2 January 1860.
Hare and Hounds:   The Hare and Hounds was the northernmost public house in Hampstead.
Heathside Preparatory School:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 2 and 14. Admissions policy: Non-selective.
Hill Garden and Pergola, Hampstead Heath:   
New End Primary School:   Community school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
North Bridge House Senior School:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 11 and 16. Admissions policy: Non-selective.
North End:   North End is a village-like area between Hampstead and Golders Green.
Pentameters Theatre:   The Pentameters Theatre was founded in 1968 and is 60-seat venue and is a fringe theatre, located above the Three Horseshoes public house in Hampstead.
Piecemeal building:   The infant River Westbourne crossed, what in 1900, was still a boggy field.
Rosslyn House:   Rosslyn (Roslyn) House, which stood between Wedderburn and Lyndhurst Roads, was one of the last of the famous old Hampstead houses to be destroyed.
Shepherd’s Well:   Shepherd’s Well, whose flow was thought to be nearly as pure as distilled water, is the source of the River Tyburn.
Source of the Kilbourne:   The easternmost branch of the River Westbourne rises just south of the centre of Hampstead,
Spaniards Inn:   The Spaniards Inn lies in Hampstead Lane on the way from Hampstead to Highgate and on the edge of Hampstead Heath.
St Anthony’s Preparatory School:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 4 and 13.
St Anthony’s School for Girls:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 4 and 11. Admissions policy: Selective (grammar).
St John, Hampstead:   St John-at-Hampstead is a Church of England parish church dedicated to St John the Evangelist.
St Mary’s Church:   St Mary’s Chapel, now known as St Mary’s Church, is a Grade II* listed Roman Catholic church.
The King Alfred School:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 5 and 18. Admissions policy: Non-selective.
The Royal School, Hampstead:   The Royal School, Hampstead, was an independent girls’ day and boarding school. The school educated girls aged 3-16.
University College School:   University College School, generally known as UCS, is an independent school charity situated in northwest London.
University College School:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 7 and 18.
Whitestone Pond:   Whitestone Pond is the source of one of London’s lost rivers, the River Westbourne.
Wyldes Farm:   Wyldes Farm - where Dickens stayed and Hampstead Garden Suburb was realised.


PHOTOS OF THE AREA
Hampstead station (1907):   Hampstead station pictured at its opening in 1907
Jack Straw's Castle (1907):   Jack Straw’s Castle Hotel, photographed in 1907.


NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Admiral’s Walk, NW3 · Alvanley Gardens, NW6 · Arkwright Road, NW3 · Back Lane, NW3 · Back Lane, NW9 · Birchwood Drive, NW3 · Branch Hill, NW3 · Britten Close, NW11 · Bunkers Hill, NW11 · Cannon Lane, NW3 · Cannon Place, NW3 · Carnegie House, NW3 · Chandos Way, NW11 · Chesterford Gardens, NW3 · Christ Church, NW3 · Christchurch Hill, NW3 · Church Row, NW3 · Coach House Yard, NW3 · Columbas Drive, NW3 · Ellerdale Close, NW3 · Ellerdale Road, NW3 · Elm Row, NW3 · Emmott Close, NW11 · Fairway Close, NW11 · Falcon Lodge, NW3 · Finchley Road, NW6 · Firecrest Drive, NW3 · Fitzjohn's Avenue, NW3 · Flask Cottages, NW3 · Flask Walk, NW3 · Frognal Close, NW3 · Frognal Gardens, NW3 · Frognal Lane, NW3 · Frognal Rise, NW3 · Frognal Way, NW3 · Frognal, NW3 · Gardnor Road, NW3 · Gayton Crescent, NW3 · Gayton Road, NW3 · Grange Gardens, NW3 · Green Close, NW11 · Greenaway Gardens, NW3 · Greenhill, NW3 · Grove Place, NW3 · Hampstead Grove, NW3 · Hampstead High Street, NW3 · Hampstead Square, NW3 · Heath Brow, NW3 · Heath Street, NW3 · Heath Villas, NW3 · Heysham Lane, NW3 · Holford Road, NW3 · Holly Berry Lane, NW3 · Holly Bush Vale, NW3 · Holly Hill, NW3 · Holly Mount, NW3 · Holly Walk, NW3 · Ingram Avenue, N2 · Ingram Avenue, NW11 · Inverforth Close, NW3 · Judges’ Walk, NW3 · Kenwood Close, NW3 · Lakis Close, NW3 · Langland Gardens, NW3 · Lindfield Gardens, NW3 · Lower Terrace, NW3 · Lyndhurst Road, NW3 · Lyndhurst Terrace, NW3 · Mansion Gardens, NW3 · Morland Close, NW11 · Mount Vernon, NW3 · Mountview Close, NW11 · Neville Drive, N2 · Neville Drive, NW11 · New End Square, NW3 · New End, NW3 · North End Avenue, NW3 · North End Road, NW3 · North End Way, NW3 · North End, NW3 · Oak Hill Park Mews, NW3 · Oak Hill Park Mews, NW3 · Oak Hill Park, NW3 · Oak Hill Way, NW3 · Old Brewery Mews, NW3 · Oriel Court, NW3 · Oriel Place, NW3 · Perrin’s Lane, NW3 · Perrins Court, NW3 · Perrins Walk, NW3 · Prince Arthur Mews, NW3 · Prince Arthur Road, NW3 · Redington Gardens, NW3 · Reynolds Close, NW11 · Romney Close, NW11 · Rudall Crescent, NW3 · Sandy Road, NW11 · Sandy Road, NW3 · Spaniards Close, NW11 · Spaniards End, NW3 · Spaniards Road, NW3 · Spedan Close, NW3 · Streatley Place, NW3 · Templewood Avenue, NW3 · Templewood Gardens, NW3 · The Gables, NW3 · The Limes, NW3 · The Mount, NW3 · The Village, NW3 · The Wells House, NW3 · Thurlby Road, HA0 · Turner Close, NW11 · Turner Drive, NW11 · Turners Wood, NW11 · Upper Terrace, NW3 · Vale of Health, NW3 · Vane Close, NW3 · Village Mount, NW3 · Well Road, NW3 · Well Walk, NW3 · Wellgarth Road, NW11 · Whitestone Lane, NW3 · Wildwood Grove, NW3 · Wildwood Rise, NW11 · Wildwood Road, NW11 · Wildwood Road, NW3 · Windmill Hill, NW3 · Winnington Road, NW11 · Wyldes Close, NW3 · Yorkshire Grey Place, NW3 ·
Print-friendly version of this page

What is North End Way, NW3 like as a place to live?

TRANSPORTATION
Good
DAILY LIFE
Good
SAFETY
Average
HEALTH
Average
SPORTS AND LEISURE
Good
ENTERTAINMENT
Good
DEMOGRAPHICS
Good
Data from placeilive.com/

Links

The Fascination of Hampstead
By G. E. Mitton (1902)
Hampstead
Facebook Page
Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
Londonist
All-encompassing website
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Time Out
Listings magazine

Maps


John Rocque Map of Hampstead (1762).
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map of Hampstead covers an area stretching from the edge in the northwest of present-day Dollis Hill to Islington in the southeast.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.