Roe Green

Suburb in Kingsbury, existing until now

 HOME  ARTICLE  MAP  FULLSCREEN  EDIT  STREETS  RECENT  BLOG  HELP 
Click here to log in on Facebook Advanced
MAPPING:1750180018301860190019302017Fullscreen map
Suburb · Kingsbury · NW9 · Contributed by The Underground Map
June
14
2013
Click to enlarge image.


Roe Green was an original garden village.

In 1915, the Aircraft Manufacturing Company occupied over 100,000 square feet of factory employing 600 people and was producing 20 machines per month. In 1916, the Office of Works commissioned its principal architect, Sir Francis Baines to design an estate of cottages for the aircraft workers. This was done along garden village lines at Roe Green.

The term garden village represented an important concept of estate design. British Town Planning was in its infancy and there were few controls on building form save the local bye-laws. In this regard, the work of Baines should be judged in the context of the Garden City movement inspired by Ebenezer Howard. Baines' concept of estate design was refined with practice. Roe Green itself was based on his office's design for Woolwich Garden Suburb (the Well Hall Estate) which was built for the Arsenal (the Ordnance factory not the football club) in 1915.

The buildings at Roe Green were deliberately designed in a combination of brick or rendered walls and slate roofs sweeping down to first floor level or a combination of similar materials with tiled roofs and vertical tile hanging.

A contemporary issue of 'The Builder' described the plan in detail:-

The site is almost level, its chief natural features being some fine trees in the two main hedges which run parallel to the sides of the site. These have determined the main line of the roads which follow the hedges, and it has been found possible to preserve every tree with one exception, and that one which could only have lasted for a time. A clump of trees with hedges cutting it at right angles has been made the nucleus of the village green, where the inn will be built. With the exception of this inn the six shops placed in Stag Lane and a doctor's house, the whole of the accommodation provided is residential, consisting of 250 houses the tenements, divided into different classes of accommodation.

There were five classes altogether. In classes 1 and 2, of which there were 110, the accommodation on the ground floor consisted of a living room, parlour, scullery and offices/coal cupboard. Three bedrooms and a combined bathroom and WC were provided on the first floor of class 1 cottages with one less bedroom on the first floor of cottage type No-2. Of class 3, there were 40 cottages built containing a large living room, scullery with bath under the kitchen table, coal cupboard and WC and on the first floor three bedrooms. Classes 4 and 5, of which about 100 were built, were two-bedroom flats with living room, scullery with bath under the kitchen table, WC and coal cupboard. Nowadays the old scullery, copper and coal cupboard are less familiar features and a variety of internal alterations have occurred in many of the properties to improve the living and bathroom arrangements.

Of the external environment 'The Builder' commented:- Houses are generally arranged in groups of four, an economical division enabling access to the back gardens to be obtained with a minimum amount of inconvenience. To obtain direct access to all gardens it would have been necessary to provide a passage in the centre of each block, or a system of pathways between the ends of the gardens. In the first case, land and also walling would be wasted; in the second, land and fencing and in this and other points of this careful and wisely considered scheme a reasonable means has been attained. Vistas have been carefully considered, and small practical points, such as the arrangement of dustbins for convenient collection, have been attended to.

Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence

VIEW THE KINGSBURY AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE KINGSBURY AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE KINGSBURY AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE KINGSBURY AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE KINGSBURY AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

 
 Upload an image
You can add an image to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 Add new information to this location
You can add text to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 
 Log on via Facebook
You can use a Facebook id to add material to this website.

Go to Kingsbury

Kingsbury

Kingsbury station was opened on 10 December 1932 as part of the Stanmore branch of the Metropolitan Railway and served by that company’s electric trains.

After the formation of London Transport in 1933 this branch became part of the Metropolitan line and was later transferred to the Bakerloo line in 1939 then to the Jubilee line in 1979. The design style is similar to that of other Metropolitan Railway buildings of the same period rather than to the concrete and glass style used at the same time by the LER group.

In common with other nearby Metropolitan Railway stations (e.g. Harrow-on-the-Hill, Neasden, Queensbury) there is an element of fiction in the station name; the area is properly within the eastern extent of Kenton (Kingsbury Road at this point was originally part of the eastern end of Kenton Lane) and Kingsbury proper is actually closer to Neasden station.

Although now only served by deep-level tube trains, the section of line serving the station is built to surface gauge, and trains to that larger LU loading gauge occasionally pass through.


LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Kingsbury:   Kingsbury station was opened on 10 December 1932 as part of the Stanmore branch of the Metropolitan Railway and served by that company’s electric trains.
Uxendon Farm:   Uxendon was once more important than Wembley.
Uxendon Shooting Grounds:   Uxendon Shooting Grounds was the location of the clay pigeon shooting for the 1908 Olympics.


NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Adams Close, NW9 · Alington Crescent, NW9 · Alpha House, NW9 · Barn Hill, HA9 · Barn Rise, HA9 · Barn Way, HA9 · Barnhill Cottages, HA9 · Berkeley Road, NW9 · Beverley Gardens, HA9 · Birchen Close, NW9 · Birchen Grove, NW9 · Blackbird Hill, NW9 · Bowater Road, HA9 · Bowman Trading Estate, NW9 · Brampton Road, NW9 · Burgess Avenue, NW9 · Capitol Way, NW9 · Chalkhill Road, HA9 · Church Drive, NW9 · Church Lane, NW9 · Colin Crescent, NW9 · Colin Gardens, NW9 · Colin Parade, NW9 · Colin Park Road, NW9 · Colindeep Lane, NW9 · Corringham Road, HA9 · Court Way, NW9 · Crossway, NW9 · Crundale Avenue, NW9 · Deanscroft Avenue, NW9 · Dunster Drive, NW9 · Edgware Road, NW9 · Elmcroft Gardens, NW9 · Elmwood Crescent, NW9 · Elthorne Road, NW9 · Eton Grove, NW9 · Eversley Avenue, HA9 · Fairway Avenue, NW9 · Forty Avenue Grand Parade, HA9 · Fryent Way, NW9 · Garrick Road, NW9 · Girton Avenue, NW9 · Goldsmith Lane, NW9 · Grand Parade, HA9 · Grendon Gardens, HA9 · Halt Parade, NW9 · Holden Avenue, NW9 · Holly Grove, NW9 · Hyde Estate Road, NW9 · Hyde House, NW9 · Irving Way, NW9 · Jubilee Close, NW9 · Kings Court, HA9 · Kingsbury Arcade, NW9 · Kingsbury Trading Estate, NW9 · Kingsbury, NW9 · Laburnum Grove, NW9 · Langdon Drive, NW9 · Ledway Drive, HA9 · Leith Close, NW9 · Lewgars Avenue, NW9 · Lynton Avenue, NW9 · Mallard Way, NW9 · Manor Close, NW9 · Maple Grove, NW9 · Mersham Drive, NW9 · Mount Drive, HA9 · New Way Road, NW9 · Old Church Lane, NW9 · Old Kenton Lane, NW9 · Oxenpark Avenue, HA9 · Park Gardens, NW9 · Poolsford Road, NW9 · Poplar Grove, HA9 · Princes Avenue, NW9 · Ravenscroft Avenue, HA9 · Reeves Avenue, NW9 · Rook Close, HA9 · Rookery Way, NW9 · Rossdale Drive, NW9 · Runbury Circle, NW9 · Rushgrove Avenue, NW9 · Rushgrove Parade, NW9 · Russell Road, NW9 · Salmon Street, NW9 · Scottwell Drive, NW9 · Sheaveshill Avenue, NW9 · Sheaveshill Parade, NW9 · Slough Lane, NW9 · St Andrews Road, NW9 · St Matthias Close, NW9 · Stag Lane, NW9 · Stag Lane, NW9 · Stewart Close, NW9 · Sunnymead Road, NW9 · Technology Park, NW9 · Tewkesbury Gardens, NW9 · The Avenue, HA9 · The Crossways, HA9 · The Drive, HA9 · The Hyde Industrial Estate, NW9 · The Hyde, NW9 · The Paddocks, HA9 · Townsend Lane, NW9 · Tudor Gardens, NW9 · Uxendon Hill, HA9 · Valley Drive, NW9 · Varley Parade, NW9 · Waltham Avenue, NW9 · Wentworth Hill, HA9 · West Close, HA9 · West Hill, HA9 · Westmoreland Road, NW9 · Wilberforce Road, NW9 · Wimborne Drive, NW9 · Winchester Avenue, NW9 · Windsor Crescent, HA9 · Woodland Close, NW9 · Wykeham Hill, HA9 ·


USING THIS MATERIAL IN OTHER ARTICLES


COMMENTS

Print-friendly version of this page

Links

Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
Londonist
All-encompassing website
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Time Out
Listings magazine

Maps


Northwest Middlesex (1932) FREE DOWNLOAD
From Harrow Weald in the northwest to West Hendon in the southeast, and from Stirling Corner in the northeast to Harrow in the southwest.
George Philip & Son, Ltd./London Geographical Society, 1932

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 


COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or – from the available evidence – are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.