Orange Hill Road, HA8

Road in Burnt Oak, existing between 1927 and now

 HOME  ARTICLE  MAP  FULLSCREEN  STREETS  RECENT  BLOG  HELP  CONTACT 
Click here to log in on Facebook Advanced
MAPPING:1750180018301860190019302017Fullscreen map
Road · Burnt Oak · HA8 · Contributed by The Underground Map
May
18
2016



Orange Hill House was rebuilt in 1912 and became the home of the famous aviator Claude Grahame-White, before becoming a Roman Catholic School, St. Roses Convent (Orange Hill House), in 1930.

The land directly to the east of Orange Hill Road, including parts of Watling Park, was called Shevesfield, a series of what were called common fields.

Common fields were fields divided into strips and rented out to a number of different tenants. These fields existed from medieval times right into the 1860s, with 33 acres divided between 46 different tenants, a bit like allotments.

Source: Barnet Council - barnet.gov.uk

VIEW THE BURNT OAK AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE BURNT OAK AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE BURNT OAK AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE BURNT OAK AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE BURNT OAK AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

 
 Upload an image
You can add an image to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 Add new information to this location
You can add text to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 
 Log on via Facebook
You can use a Facebook id to add material to this website.

Address not listed? Add it here...
Go to Burnt Oak

Burnt Oak

Burnt Oak tube station is a London Underground station in on the Edgware branch of the Northern Line, between Edgware and Colindale stations.

The name Burnt Oak was first used in 1754 and from then until the 1850s referred to no more than a field on the eastern side of the Edgware Road (Watling Street). Nor is there evidence that the name implies anything except that the field had once contained a burnt oak tree.

In May 1844 Burnt Oak field was sold to a Mr Essex, and by the 1860s plans were in place to build three residential streets: North Street, East Street, and South Street. The application of the field name to the area seems to have followed from this new estate and was in use by the end of the 19th century.

However, the area was generally known as Red Hill until the opening of Burnt Oak tube station.

The station was designed by architect Stanley Heaps and opened as Burnt Oak (Watling) on the 27 October 1924, two months after the extension of the Hampstead & Highgate Line from Hendon Central to Edgware had opened. The station was originally provided with a temporary structure before the final ticket office building was constructed in 1925. The suffix was dropped from the name about 1950.


LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Bald Faced Stag:   The Baldfaced Stag was an inn on the Edgware Road as early as the 18th century when hay carters from Middlesex and Hertfordhire would meet there on May Day.
Burnt Oak:   Burnt Oak tube station is a London Underground station in on the Edgware branch of the Northern Line, between Edgware and Colindale stations.
Edgware Hospital:   Edgware General Hospital was located on Burnt Oak Broadway.
Stag Lane Aerodrome:   Stag Lane Aerodrome was a private aerodrome between 1915 and 1934.


PHOTOS OF THE AREA
Burnt Oak footpath:   Burnt Oak was a suburb which went up suddenly in 1924.
Burnt Oak footpath (1926):   Burnt Oak Underground station platform, Hampstead and Highgate line (now Northern line).


NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Abbots Road, HA8 · Albany Crescent, HA8 · Albany Cresent, HA8 · Axholme Avenue, HA8 · Back Lane, HA8 · Banstock Road, HA8 · Barnfield Road, HA8 · Bernhart Close, HA8 · Birchwood Court, HA8 · Blessbury Road, HA8 · Brearley Close, HA8 · Briar Walk, HA8 · Briary Grove, HA8 · Brinkburn Close, HA8 · Brinkburn Gardens, HA8 · Brook Walk, HA8 · Broomgrove Gardens, HA8 · Burnt Oak Broadway, HA8 · Burnt Oak Fields, HA8 · Calder Gardens, HA8 · Cameron Crescent, HA8 · Canada Park Parade, HA8 · Cardinal Close, HA8 · Chelsea Close, HA8 · Clare House, HA8 · Cobham Close, HA8 · Colchester Road, HA8 · Collier Drive, HA8 · Columbia Avenue, HA8 · Compton Close, HA8 · Constable Gardens, HA8 · Cotman Gardens, HA8 · Cressingham Road, HA8 · Crispin Road, HA8 · De Havilland Road, HA8 · Deans Close, HA8 · East Road, HA8 · Edrick Walk, HA8 · Edwin Road, HA8 · Fortescue Road, HA8 · Fortune Avenue, HA8 · Gaskarth Road, HA8 · Gervase Road, HA8 · Gilbert Grove, HA8 · Gloucester Grove, HA8 · Goldbeaters Grove, HA8 · Gordon Gardens, HA8 · Greencourt Avenue, HA8 · Halford Close, HA8 · Hanshaw Drive, HA8 · Holyrood Gardens, HA8 · Homefield Road, HA8 · Hook Walk, HA8 · Hutton Row, HA8 · Islip Gardens, HA8 · Landseer Close, HA8 · Langham Gardens, HA8 · Langham Road, HA8 · Lawrence Crescent, HA8 · Leighton Close, HA8 · Limesdale Gardens, HA8 · Littlefield Road, HA8 · Lynford Close, HA8 · Market Lane, HA8 · Melrose Gardens, HA8 · Millais Gardens, HA8 · Millfield Road, HA8 · Mollison Way, HA8 · Newton Walk, HA8 · North Parade, HA8 · North Road, HA8 · Northolme Gardens, HA8 · Norwich Walk, HA8 · Nurse Close, HA8 · Oak Gardens, HA8 · Oakleigh Avenue, HA8 · Oakleigh Court, HA8 · Orange Hill Road, HA8 · Orchard Grove, HA8 · Park Way, HA8 · Pavilion Way, HA8 · Playfield Road, HA8 · Raeburn Road, HA8 · Redhill Drive, HA8 · Rembrandt Road, HA8 · Roscoff Close, HA8 · Silkstream Parade, HA8 · Silkstream Road, HA8 · South Parade, HA8 · South Road, HA8 · St Alphage Walk, HA8 · Stag Close, HA8 · Strathmore Gardens, HA8 · Symphony Close, HA8 · The Chase, HA8 · The Croft, HA8 · The Highlands, HA8 · Thirleby Road, HA8 · Trevor Gardens, HA8 · Trevor Road, HA8 · Vancouver Road, HA8 · Walter Walk, HA8 · Waltham Drive, HA8 · Warren Way, HA8 · Watling Avenue, HA8 · Wenlock Road, HA8 · Westleigh Gardens, HA8 · Whistler Gardens, HA8 ·


USING THIS MATERIAL IN OTHER ARTICLES


COMMENTS

Print-friendly version of this page

What is Orange Hill Road, HA8 like as a place to live?

Data from placeilive.com/

Links

Burnt Oak
Facebook Page
Edgware
Facebook Page
Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
Londonist
All-encompassing website
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Time Out
Listings magazine

Maps


Northwest Middlesex (1932) FREE DOWNLOAD
From Harrow Weald in the northwest to West Hendon in the southeast, and from Stirling Corner in the northeast to Harrow in the southwest.
George Philip & Son, Ltd./London Geographical Society, 1932

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 


COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or – from the available evidence – are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.