gets its name from William III, Prince of Orange - the reigning king when the street was built.
The western section between Haymarket
and St Martin’s Street was formerly called James Street
, after James II.
The original Orange Street
comprised only that section of the present street which extends from St. Martin’s Street to Charing Cross
Road, the sections between Whitcomb Street
and St. Martin’s Street, formerly called Blue Cross Street, and between the Haymarket
and Whitcomb Street
, formerly James Street
, having been included in Orange Street
in 1905. A brief history of each section is given here:—
was built up at the same time as Panton Street
and Oxendon Street
. On the wall of the tennis court there was formerly a tablet with the inscription "Iames Street, 1673." The street first appears in the ratebook for 1675. Though no absolute proof is available it seems fairly certain that it was built by Colonel Panton on the southern part of the grounds of Shaver’s Hall, and that the Tennis Court on the south side of the street which survived until 1866 was that built by Simon Osbaldeston, circa 1634.
The site of Orange Street
was formerly covered by the Duke of Monmouth’s stables. The street was formed circa 1696, in which year building leases of the ground on either side were granted by Ann, Duchess of Buccleuch, and her son, James, Earl of Dalkeith, to various purchasers.
In 1720 Orange Street
was described as "fair" with "good built houses."