Oriel Court, NW3

Buildings in this area date from the nineteenth century or before

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
54.144.24.41 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Hampstead · NW3 · Contributed by The Underground Map
JANUARY
1
2015


Oriel Court is a street in Hampstead.



ADD A STORY TO ORIEL COURT
VIEW THE HAMPSTEAD AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE HAMPSTEAD AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE HAMPSTEAD AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE HAMPSTEAD AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE HAMPSTEAD AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Hampstead

Hampstead though now considered an integral part of London, has retained much of its village charm.

Hampstead is on a steep hill and the tube station platforms are the deepest on the London Underground network, at 58.5 metres below ground level. It has the deepest lift shaft on the Underground.

Although early records of Hampstead itself can be found in a grant by King Ethelred the Unready to the monastery of St. Peter's at Westminster (AD 986) and it is referred to in the Domesday Book (1086), the history of Hampstead is generally traced back to the 17th century.

Trustees of the Well started advertising the medicinal qualities of the chalybeate waters (water impregnated with iron) in 1700. Although Hampstead Wells was initially successful, its popularity declined in the 1800s due to competition with other London spas. The spa was demolished in 1882, although a water fountain was left behind.

Hampstead started to expand following the opening of the North London Railway in the 1860s (now on the London Overground), and expanded further after the tube station opened in 1907.

OTHER UNDERGROUND MAP LOCATIONS NEAR HERE
6 Ellerdale Road · Admiral’s Walk · Akenside Road · An introduction to Hampstead by G.E. Mitton (1902) · Anna Freud Centre · Arkwright Road · Avenue Mansions · Back Lane · Back Lane · Bracknell Gardens · Bracknell Way · Bracknell Way · Branch Hill Pond · Cannon Lane · Cannon Place · Carlingford Road · Chesterford Gardens · Christ Church Primary School · Church Row · Coach House Yard · Columbas Drive · Croftway · Denning Road · Devonshire House Preparatory School · Devonshire House Preparatory School · Downshire Hill · East Heath Road · Ellerdale Close · Ellerdale Road · Elm Row · Everyman Cinema · Finchley Road · Firecrest Drive · Fitzjohn’s Avenue · Fitzjohn’s Primary School · Fitzjohn's Avenue · Fitzjohns Avenue · Fitzjohn’s Avenue · Fitzjohn’s Primary School · Flask Walk · Freud Museum · Frognal Close · Frognal Gardens · Frognal Lane · Frognal Rise · Frognal Way · Frognal · Frognal · Gainsborough Gardens · Gayton Road · Grange Gardens · Great Hollow Elm · Greenaway Gardens · Greenhill · Hampstead · Hampstead Grove · Hampstead High Street · Hampstead Hill Gardens · Hampstead Parochial Church of England Primary School · Hampstead station (1907) · Hampstead Town · Hampstead tunnel · Heath Brow · Heath Drive · Heath Hurst Road · Heath Side · Heath Villas · Heathside Preparatory School · Heysham Lane · Holford Road · Holly Bush Vale · Holly Walk · Jack Straw's Castle (1907) · Judges’ Walk · Keats Grove · Keats House · Kemplay Road · Langland Gardens · Lindfield Gardens · Lower Terrace · Lyndhurst Road · Lyndhurst Terrace · Mansion Gardens · Maresfield Gardens · Mount Vernon · Netherhall Gardens · Netherhall House · Netherhall Way · New End Primary School · New West End · North Bridge House Pre-Prep School · North Bridge House Senior School · Nutley Terrace · Oakhill Avenue · Old Brewery Mews · Oriel Place · Palace Court · Pentameters Theatre · Perrin’s Lane · Perrins Court · Perrins Walk · Piecemeal building · Pilgrim’s Lane · Pilgrim’s Place · Pilgrims Lane · Pilgrims Place · Prince Arthur Mews · Prince Arthur Road · Redington Gardens · Redington Road · Rosslyn Hill Unitarian Chapel · Rosslyn Hill · Rosslyn House · Rosslyn Mews · Rudall Crescent · Shepherd’s Path · Shepherd’s Well · Shepherd's Path · Shepherds Walk · Source of the Kilbourne · Southbank International School · Spedan Close · St Anthony’s Preparatory School · St John · St Luke’s Church of England Primary · St Margaret’s School · St Mary’s Church · Studholme Court · Telegraph Hill · Templewood Avenue · Templewood Gardens · The Academy School · The Academy School · The Gables · The Mount · The Royal School · Thurlow Road · Two streams meet · University College School · University College School · Upper Terrace · Vale of Health · Vane Close · Village Mount · Whitestone Lane · Whitestone Pond · Willoughby Road · Yorkshire Grey Place ·
Articles in grey above need some care and attention
Roads are red; buildings are green
Other entries in blue above are featured articles
Print-friendly version of this page

Links

The Fascination of Hampstead
By G. E. Mitton (1902)
Hampstead
Facebook Page
Finchley Road
Facebook Page
Swiss Cottage
Facebook Page
Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
Londonist
All-encompassing website
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Time Out
Listings magazine

Maps


John Rocque Map of Hampstead (1762).
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map of Hampstead covers an area stretching from the edge in the northwest of present-day Dollis Hill to Islington in the southeast.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.