at its north end to the Bayswater Road at its south end.
Ossington Street was originally laid out from the then Uxbridge Road to Moscow Road
on part of Gravel Pit field in the 1830s. It was known at the time as Victoria Grove
, and was renamed to Ossington Street in 1837 and transferred to Kensington. It is possible that the street was named after Viscount Ossington.
The buildings to the west side were in the form of terraced cottages of two storeys and basement, with a mews behind. Victoria Grove
Mews retains its name to this day.
Several of the terraced houses to the south were leased to William Ward, a Marylebone builder, who also filled a space along the Uxbridge Road between Victoria Grove
and the then boundary of Paddington with an inn and five shops, nos. 1 to 6 Wellington Terrace, around 1840.
By 1865, almost all of Bayswater had been built up and the only sites for infilling were south of Moscow Road
and in particular along the east side of Victoria Grove
. This was built up as Palace Court
, whose west side backs on Ossington Street and offers some of the most interesting late Victorian domestic architecture in the area.
Ossington Street now forms part of the border between the boroughs City of Westminster and the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, with the east side of the street belonging to Westminster and the west side to Kensington.