Marylebone - so good they named it once but pronounced it seven different ways.
Paddington Street was once a country track leading towards Paddington.
As Paddington Lane, the track followed a course between Upper and Lower Church Fields. Lower Church Field was separated from it by a hedgerow and by the early 1730s the ‘New Burial Ground’ took up much of the west side of Lower Church Field.
In the mid-to-late 1720s houses were built along the northern part of this field edge and both the New Burial Ground and the Grotto encouraged the street’s development. The western part was begun in 1772.
User unknown/public domain
Marylebone is an area in the City of Westminster North of Oxford Street and South of Regents Park. Edgware Road forms the Western boundary. Portland Place forms the eastern boundary with the area known as Fitzrovia.
Marylebone gets its name from a church, called St Mary's
, that was built on the bank of a small stream or bourne
called the Tyburn. The church and the surrounding area later became known as St Mary at the bourne
, which over time became shortened to its present form Marylebone.
Today the area is mostly residential with a stylish High Street. It is also notable for its Arab population on its far western border around Edgware Road.
Marylebone station, opened in 1899, is the youngest of London's mainline terminal stations, and also one of the smallest, having opened with half the number of platforms originally planned.
Originally the London terminus of the ill-fated Great Central Main Line, it now serves as the terminus of the Chiltern Main Line route.
The underground station is served by the Bakerloo Line, opening on 27 March 1907 by the Baker Street and Waterloo Railway under the name Great Central (following a change from the originally-intended name Lisson Grove). It was renamed Marylebone in 1917.