Palmerston Road was previously a tree-lined avenue.
In 1850 the owner of Bowes Manor, Sir Thomas Wilde, was created Baron Truro of Bowes. Bowes Manor was situated between what are now Kelvin Road and Melbourne Roads.
When Wilde died in 1855, the estate was purchased by Alderman Sidney. Having been a successful tea merchant, he became an alderman of the City of London in a position he held for 36 years. We was Lord Mayor in 1853-4.
Sidney developed the western border of the Bowes estate, building Palmerston Road in 1870 on what previously had been a tree lined private road with a gateway at either end.
Sidney built 13 large houses backing onto the New River, between Whittington Road
and Bowes Road
As well as his City of London duties, Sidney was also Liberal MP for Stafford in separate spells. This is the reason for the Whig politicians celebrated in local street names: Grenville, Kelvin, Melbourne, Palmerston, Russell and Spencer.
Sidney died in 1889 and the estate and farm were divided up for development in 1899. Sidney Avenue
, Melbourne Avenue
, Kelvin Avenue
, Belsize Avenue and Spencer Avenue
were laid out, east to west, across the grounds.