Victoria Coach Station

Bus station in/near Belgravia, existing between 1932 and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
3.233.215.231 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302020Fullscreen map
Bus station · Belgravia · SW1W ·
October
16
2019

Victoria Coach Station is the largest coach station in London.


It serves as a terminus for many medium- and long-distance coach services in the United Kingdom and is also the departure point for many countryside coach tours originating from London.

Victoria Coach Station was opened at its present site in Buckingham Palace Road in 1932, by London Coastal Coaches, a consortium of coach operators. The building is in a distinctive Art Deco style, the architects for which were Wallis, Gilbert and Partners. In 1970 the coach operators’ association which managed the station became a subsidiary of the National Bus Company.

In 1988, ownership of Victoria Coach Station Limited was transferred to London Transport. In 2000, Transport for London was formed and took over the station.

The freeholder of the site, Grosvenor Group, announced in 2013 that it wishes to redevelop the site and relocate the station elsewhere in London. However, the building was listed at Grade II by English Heritage in 2014.


Main source: Wikipedia
Further citations and sources


xxx



 

Belgravia




Print-friendly version of this page