Parry Street, SW8

Road is in an area which may have existed since the nineteenth century or before with housing mainly dating from the 1970s

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
54.226.4.91 
Too much info? Click here to declutter the page
Albert Embankment · Albert Embankment · Andrew Place · Archbishop Tenison’s School · Arden Street · Ascalon House · Ascalon Street · Atterbury Street · Auckland Street · Aveline Street · Avro House · Balvaird Place · Battersea Park Road · Battersea Power Station · Beaufoy Walk · Belmore Street · Bessborough Gardens · Blore Close · Bondway · Bonnington Square · Bradfield House · Bradmead · Bridgefoot · Brixton Road · Brocket House · Brooklands Passage · Brooks Court · Brough Close · Carey Gardens · Charles Clowes Walk · Charlwood Place · Cherwell Street · Christchurch Vicarage · City Racing · Claverton Street · Clyston Street · Cobbett Street · Condell Road · Corunna Road · Cottingham Road · Cowthorpe Road · Crewdson Road · Crimsworth Road · Cringle Street · Cringle Street · Cringle Street · Crown Reach Riverside Walk · Davidson Gardens · Deeley Road · Dolland House · Dolphin Square East Side · Dolphin Square West Side · Dolphin Square West · Duchy Arms · Durham Street · Eagle London South Central · Ebbisham Drive · Estrela Bar · Farnham Royal · Fentiman Road · Flower Market · Fount Street · Fruit And Vegetable Market · Fruit Vegetable Market · Glyn Street · Goding Street · Goldsboro Road · Goldsborough House Springfield Estate · Grosvenor Road · Haines Street · Handforth Road · Hanover Gardens · Hanover Gardens · Harleyford Road · Hartington Road · Havelock Terrace Arches · Havelock Terrace · Hemans Street · Hewlett House · Heyford Avenue · Hookham Court · Hotspur Street · Imex Business Centre · Imex Centre · Kenchester Close · Kennington Lane · Kennington Oval · Kibworth Street · Kirtling Street · Knight’s Walk · Langley Lane · Laud Street · Lawn Lane · Lawrence Mews · Lindsay Square · Linford Street · Link House · Lockington Road · Magee Street · Malthouse Road · Market Towers · Miles Street · Moreton Place · Moreton Terrace Mews North · New Covent Garden Centre · New Mill Road · New Union Square · Nine Elms · Nine Elms Lane · Nolan’s Freehouse · Old Red Cow · Orsett Street · Oval · Oval Place · Oval Way · Ovalhouse · Pagden Street · Palmerston Way · Park Place · Patmore Street · Pimlico · Pimlico Academy · Ponton Road · Ponton Road · Postal area SW8 · Postal zone SW8 4** · Pulford Street · Richborne Terrace · Riverlight 4 Riverlight Quay · Riverlight Quay 8Ea · Riverlight Quay · Riverside Walk East · Riverside Walk · Riverside Walk · Rootstein Hopkins Parade Ground: Chelsea College of Art and Desi · Rudolf Place · Saint Stephen’s Terrace · Savona Street · Simpson House · Sleaford Industrial Estate · South Lambeth Place · South Lambeth Road · Southville · Spencer House · St George Wharf · St George’s Square · St James the Less · St Oswalds Place · St. Georges Close · St. Stephen’s Terrace · Stanley Close · Statham House · Stewart Court · Stewart’s Road · Stewarts Road · Street cricket (1953) · Studios · Tate Britain · Tent City · Terrace Walk · The Beehive · The Black Dog · The Black Prince · The Brown Derby · The Oval · The Pavilion · The Vauxhall Griffin · Thessaly Road · Thorndike Street · Thorparch Road · Tideway Walk · Trenchold Street · Tun Yard · Tyers Terrace · Vauxhall · Vauxhall Bridge · Vauxhall Bridge · Vauxhall Bridge · Vauxhall Cross · Vauxhall Gardens · Vauxhall Grove · Vauxhall Station early 1900s. · Vauxhall Street · Viaduct Gardens · Wadhurst Road · Walton Close · Wenham House · West Bridge · Westminster Business Square · Wheatsheaf Lane · Wickham Street · Wynyard Terrace · Wyvil Estate
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Vauxhall · SW8 ·
JANUARY
1
2000

Parry Street is one of the streets of London in the SW8 postal area.



VIEW THE VAUXHALL AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE VAUXHALL AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE VAUXHALL AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE VAUXHALL AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE VAUXHALL AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Vauxhall

Vauxhall is an inner city area of Central London in the London Borough of Lambeth.

It is generally accepted that the etymology of Vauxhall is from the name of Falkes de Breauté, the head of King John's mercenaries, who owned a large house in the area, which was referred to as Faulke's Hall, later Foxhall, and eventually Vauxhall.

There is no mention of Vauxhall in the 1086 Domesday Book. The area formed part of the extensive Manor of South Lambeth. From various accounts three local roads, the South Lambeth Road, Clapham Road (previously called Merton Road) and Wandsworth Road (previously called Kingston Road) were ancient and well known routes to and from London. The area was flat and marshy with parts poorly drained by ditches. The area only started to be developed in the mid 18th century. Prior to this it provided market garden produce for the nearby City of London.

The area only became generally known by this name when the Vauxhall Pleasure Gardens opened as a public attraction. Initially most visitors would have approached by river, but crowds of Londoners of all classes came to know the area after the construction of Westminster Bridge in the 1740s.

There are competing theories as to why the Russian word for a central railway station is vokzal, which coincides with the 19th-century transliteration of Vauxhall. It has long been suggested that a Russian delegation visited the area to inspect the construction of the London and South Western Railway in 1840, and mistook the name of the station for the generic name of the building type. The locality of the L&SWR's original railway terminus, Nine Elms Station, was shown boldly and simply as Vauxhall in the 1841 Bradshaw timetable.

Another likely explanation is that the first Russian railway, constructed in 1837, ran from Saint Petersburg via Tsarskoye Selo to Pavlovsk Palace, where extensive Pleasure Gardens had earlier been established. In 1838 a music and entertainment pavilion was constructed at the railway terminus. This pavilion was called the Vokzal in homage to the Vauxhall Pleasure Gardens in London. The name soon came to be applied to the station itself, which was the gateway that most visitors used to enter the gardens. It later came to mean any substantial railway station building.

It has also given its name to the Vauxhall Motors car manufacturer, which originated in the area.

Vauxhall station was opened by the London and South Western Railway (LSWR) as 'Vauxhall Bridge Station' on 11 July 1848 when the main line was extended from Nine Elms to Waterloo, then 'Waterloo Bridge Station'. It is on a viaduct with eight platforms. The deep tube London Underground station is on the Victoria line, and opened on 23 July 1971.

Vauxhall was located next to a major creamery and milk bottling plant for United Dairies. Milk trains from all over the West Country would stop at Clapham Junction in the evening, and reduce their length by half so that they did not block Vauxhall station while unloading. They would then proceed to Vauxhall, and pull into the down side platform, where a discharge pipe was provided to the creamery on the other side of the road. There was also pedestrian access from below the station, under the road to the depot, in the tunnel where the pipeline ran. Unloaded trains would then proceed to Waterloo, where they would reverse and return to Clapham Junction to pick up the other half of the train. The procedure was then repeated, so that the entire milk train was unloaded between the end of evening peak traffic and the start of the following morning.
Print-friendly version of this page

Maps


Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1843) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured.
Chapman and Hall, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1836) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Insets: A view of the Tower from London Bridge -- A view of London from Copenhagen Fields. Includes views of facades of 25 structures "A comparison of the principal buildings of London."
Chapman and Hall, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.