Pembridge Road, W11
Road in/near Bayswater, existing between the 1750s and now
Print-friendly version of this page Pembridge RoadBayswater is one of London's most cosmopolitan areas - also one of London's biggest concentration of hotels.
is the former southern end of Portobello Lane.
A turnpike tollgate was constructed on the Uxbridge Road (now Notting Hill Gate
) around the year 1801.
The ‘Kensington Gravel Pit Gate’ at the start of Portobello Lane (now Pembridge Road
) was "enlivened every hour by the passage of mail-coaches, stages and wagons."
In the early 19th century the Gravel Pits roadside hamlet became a commuter village sprawling between Stormont House and the Trews’ Sun brewery to the east and the Plough and Coach and Horses
inns to the west.
The brewery area, on the site of the ‘Cromwell’s Gift’ field (now Clanricarde Gardens
), hosted the first Notting Hill slum in the Anderson’s and Pitt’s Cottages side alleys of Campden Place, described as "a notorious rookery known as Little Hell."
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Notting Hill tollgate across Pembridge Road.
H Oakes Jones
Notably, there is a significant Arab population, a large number of Americans, a substantial Greek community attracted by London's Greek Orthodox Cathedral and the area is also a centre of London's Brazilian community.
Architecturally, the biggest part of the area is made up of Victorian mansion blocks, mostly, although not exclusively, divided up into flats. There are also purpose built apartment blocks dating from the inter-war period as well as more recent developments, and a there is large Council Estate, the 800 flat Hallfield Estate
, designed by Sir Denys Lasdun and now largely sold off. There are some garden squares in the area.
and Westbourne Grove
are busy High Streets, with a very large number of ethnic restaurants.
Bayswater tube station lies between Notting Hill Gate
The station was opened 1 October 1868, just 5 years after the London Underground started. It was renamed several times: to Bayswater (Queen's Road) & Westbourne Grove
in 1923, to Bayswater (Queen's Road) in 1933.