Perrin Road, HA0

Road in Preston Road

 HOME  ARTICLE  MAP  FULLSCREEN  EDIT  STREETS  RECENT  BLOG  HELP 
Click here to log in on Facebook Advanced
MAPPING:1750180018301860190019302017Fullscreen map
Road · Preston Road · HA0 · Contributed by The Underground Map
JANUARY
1
2000


Perrin Road is one of the streets in the Harrow postal district of Middlesex.

VIEW THE PRESTON ROAD AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE PRESTON ROAD AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE PRESTON ROAD AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE PRESTON ROAD AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE PRESTON ROAD AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

 
 Upload an image
You can add an image to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 Add new information to this location
You can add text to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 
 Log on via Facebook
You can use a Facebook id to add material to this website.

Address not listed? Add it here...
Go to Preston Road

Preston Road

Preston Road - originally just 'Preston' - is situated west along the Metropolitan Line from Wembley Park.

Preston, meaning 'the farm belonging to the priest', began as a small settlement at Preston Green, just south west of the Lidding or Wealdstone Brook, south of Kenton. It was first mentioned in 1220. The name may come from an estate given to Abbot Stidberht by King Offa of Mercia in 767, but any connection with Preston Road as a rural lanethe Church had been lost by 1086. Preston was a township by 1231.

By the mid-15th century Preston consisted of two farms and a few cottages. The northern farm belonged to the Lyon family from the late 14th century and is described as being a beautiful building in 1547. It was probably the birthplace of John Lyon (1534-92), a considerable local landowner who founded Harrow School in 1572. After his death the farm was given as an endowment for the upkeep of the school. It was rebuilt around 1700. The southern farm was originally known as Preston Dicket and later as Preston Farm.

By 1681 five buildings had been built on Preston Green, including a new farmhouse, Hillside Farm. In 1759 there were nine buildings at Preston, including the 'Horseshoe' inn,
which was licensed in 1751.

The district did not change significantly in the 19th century. The agricultural depression after the Napoleonic Wars led to an outbreak of violence in the area around 1828, when desperate agricultural labourers burnt haystacks and threatened local landowners, including the relatively benevolent Lord Northwick.

64 people lived in Preston in 1831 and 57 in 1851.

In 1851 the 'Rose & Crown' beerhouse is mentioned at the top of Preston Hill (beerhouses flourished from 1830 to 1869 and were intended to discourage the sale of spirits). It appears to have been part of Hillside Farm, and is never mentioned again.

Preston House was leased to various professional men during the 19th century, including a surgeon, a cigar importer and a solicitor.

In 1864 two villas replaced the four nearby cottages. Around 1880 Preston House was acquired by George Timms, who turned the grounds into Preston Tea Gardens. The Tea Gardens flourished well into the next century.

The Metropolitan Railway had no effect on development, even after the opening of Wembley Park station in 1894. In 1896 the suggestion that a station should be built serving Preston was rejected because the local population was so small. Indeed even in the early 20th century the area was entirely rural, and the Wealdstone Brook could be described as "one of the most perfect little streams anywhere, abounding in dace and roach."

By 1900 Uxendon Farm had become a shooting ground (the Lancaster Shooting Club). When the Olympic Games were held in London in 1908 the ground was sufficiently important to be
used for Olympic clay pigeon shooting. Pressure from the shooting club, which was a two mile walk from the nearest station, played a part in the opening of Preston Road Halt on 21 May 1908.

The station was a halt (a request stop) and initially many trains failed to slow down enough to enable the driver to notice passengers waiting on the platform. Preston Road Halt triggered the first commuter development in the district. Some large Edwardian houses were built along Preston Road after 1910 and Harrow Golf Club opened near the station in 1912. Wembley Golf Club had already existed on the southern slopes of Barn Hill from about 1895. Both these golf courses would disappear under housing between the wars.

Further development in Preston came after the 1924-5 British Empire Exhibition. Roads in the area were prone to flooding, and the Exhibition led to significant and much needed improvements.

Many of the country lanes in the area were however not improved until 1931-2, under Wembley's Town Planning Scheme. Preston Road indeed remained a country lane until the late 1930s, which may account for its considerable charm.Improved communications brought suburban development. Christ Church College, Oxford, and Harrow School sold their Preston
estates in the period 1921-33. Forty Green began being built over as early as 1923-4 and housing spread along Preston Road and Preston Hill in the three years that followed.

Shops appeared in 1927-8 and a pub, the 'Preston Park Hotel' was opened in the late 1920s.

Preston Road was converted into a proper station in 1931-2. The line was electrified soon after and the station slightly re-sited. By now it was certain that the heart of Preston would be to the south of the old green. Many more shops appeared around the station in 1931-3 and 1936-8. Most housing developments occurred in the 1930s. By 1936 Preston was being described as "a high class and rapidly growing residential area with a population of between 6000 and 7000 people." A primary school was created to serve this population in 1932 and a secondary school in 1938.

In the 1930s many Jewish people, the majority members of the United Synagogue, moved into the Preston area. There is still a strong Jewish presence today.

By 1951 Preston's population had risen to 12,408, although it declined somewhat thereafter. Post-war housing was built north and east of Preston Road and a number of prefabs, a temporary solution to homelessness, stood at Tenterden Close, Woodcock Hill, until the late 1960s. Proposals for an Anglican church at Preston had been published in 1936, but the war intervened and the Church of the Ascension was not consecrated until 1957.

By the early 1960s all of Preston's old buildings had been lost. Lyon's Farm was demolished in 1960, despite earlier plans to preserve it. Hillside farmhouse went in 1961 and Preston House was demolished in 1962-3. Both of these buildings were replaced by blocks of flats. Despite these losses Preston is a pleasant and prosperous-looking place that has retained its original atmosphere.



LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Hundred Elms Farm:   There was a farm on this site, on the northern edge of Sudbury Common, since at least the time of Queen Elizabeth I in the 16th century.
Preston Road:   Preston Road - originally just 'Preston' - is situated west along the Metropolitan Line from Wembley Park.
Vale Farm:   Vale Farm was probably a mixed farm, growing crops and raising livestock for meat, run by a succession of tenant farmers..


NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Abbeydale Road, HA0 · Abbotts Drive, HA0 · Ambleside Gardens, HA9 · Ashley Gardens, HA9 · Audrey Gardens, HA0 · Balmoral Court, HA9 · Barnhill Road, HA9 · Beechcroft Gardens, HA9 · Bestcare House, HA0 · Blockley Road, HA0 · Brewery Close, HA0 · Camplin Road, HA3 · Carlton Avenue East, HA9 · Carlton Avenue West, HA0 · Carlton Parade, HA9 · Chamberlayne Avenue, HA9 · Chantry Close, HA3 · Charterhouse Avenue, HA0 · Chestnut Grove, HA0 · Clifton Road, HA3 · College Road, HA9 · Compton Avenue, HA0 · Conifer Way, HA0 · Coniston Gardens, HA9 · Court Parade, HA0 · Cowbridge Road, HA3 · Dagmar Avenue, HA9 · Darcy Drive, HA3 · Darcy Gardens, HA3 · Dorchester Way, HA3 · East Lane, HA0 · Ecclestone Place, HA9 · Edwards Yard, HA0 · Elms Lane, HA0 · Elmside Road, HA9 · Empire House, HA9 · Eskdale Close, HA9 · Eton Avenue, HA0 · Eton Court Eton Avenue, HA0 · First Avenue, HA9 · Forty Avenue, HA9 · Forty Close, HA9 · Forty Lane, HA9 · Glendale Gardens, HA9 · Grasmere Avenue, HA9 · Greenrigg Walk, HA9 · Harrow Road, HA0 · Harrow Road, HA9 · Harrowdene Road, HA0 · Harvey Yard, HA0 · Harveys Yard, HA0 · High Road, HA9 · Hinkler Road, HA3 · Holt Road, HA0 · Honeypot Lane, NW9 · Hunters Grove, HA3 · Kenelm Close, HA1 · Kenmore Road, HA3 · Kingswood Road, HA9 · Linden Avenue, HA9 · Lindsay Drive, HA3 · Logan Road, HA9 · Loretto Gardens, HA3 · Lulworth Avenue, HA9 · Manor Drive, HA9 · Montpelier Rise, HA9 · Moorhouse Road, HA3 · Morland Road, HA3 · Mostyn Avenue, HA9 · Nathans Road, HA0 · Norval Road, HA0 · Oakington Avenue, HA9 · Old High Street, HA9 · Oldborough Road, HA0 · Olympic Way, HA9 · Ormesby Way, HA3 · Park Chase, HA9 · Pasture Road, HA0 · Peel Road, HA9 · Perrin Road, HA0 · Pettsgrove Avenue, HA0 · Preston Hill, HA3 · Preston Road, HA9 · Queensbury Circle Parade, HA7 · Repton Avenue, HA0 · Rosebank Avenue, HA0 · Roskild Court, HA9 · Rowland Avenue, HA3 · Rugby Avenue, HA0 · Ruskin Gardens, HA3 · Rydal Gardens, HA9 · Sandy Lane, HA3 · Shakespeare Drive, HA3 · Shelley Gardens, HA0 · Shooters Avenue, HA3 · Shrewsbury Avenue, HA3 · South East Lane, HA0 · Spark House Liberty Centre, HA0 · Spencer Road, HA0 · St Andrews Avenue, HA0 · St Pauls Avenue, HA3 · Stilecroft Gardens, HA0 · Stracthcona Road, HA9 · Strathcona Road, HA9 · Sudbury Avenue, HA0 · Sudbury Cresent, HA0 · Sylvester Road, HA0 · The Broadway, HA9 · The Crescent, HA0 · The Fairway, HA0 · Third Avenue, HA9 · Thirlmere Gardens, HA9 · Toley Avenue, HA9 · Uxendon Cresent, HA9 · Waghorn Road, HA3 · Warneford Road, HA3 · Watford Road, HA0 · Watford Road, HA0 · Wembley Hill Road, HA9 · Wembley Park Drive, HA9 · West Court, HA0 · Westfield Drive, HA3 · Westfield Gardens, HA3 · Westfield Lane, HA3 · Windermere Avenue, HA9 · Windermere Court, HA9 · Winthrop Walk, HA9 · Woodford Place, HA9 ·


USING THIS MATERIAL IN OTHER ARTICLES


COMMENTS

Print-friendly version of this page

What is Perrin Road, HA0 like as a place to live?

Data from placeilive.com/

Links

South Kenton
Facebook Page
Sudbury Town
Facebook Page
Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
Londonist
All-encompassing website
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Time Out
Listings magazine

Maps


John Rocque Map of Wembley, Kingsbury, Willesden and Harlesden (1762)
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map covers an area from Harrow in the northwest to Harlesden in the southeast.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 


COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or – from the available evidence – are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.