Pickwick House, SE16

Residential/commercial block in/near Bermondsey

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
3.80.85.76 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302018Fullscreen map
Residential/commercial block · Bermondsey · SE16 · Contributed by The Underground Map
JANUARY
1
2000


Residential block



ADD A STORY TO PICKWICK HOUSE
VIEW THE BERMONDSEY AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE BERMONDSEY AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE BERMONDSEY AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE BERMONDSEY AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE BERMONDSEY AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Bermondsey

What's in a name?

Though Bermondsey's name may derive from Beornmund's island (whoever the Anglo-Saxon Beornmund was, is another matter), but Bermondsey is likely to have been a higher, drier spot in an otherwise marshy area, rather than a real island.

The area first appears in a letter from Pope Constantine (708-715), in which he grants privileges to a monastery at Vermundesei, then in the hands of the abbot of Medeshamstede, as Peterborough was known at the time.

Bermondsey appears in Domesday Book. It was then held by King William, though a small part was in the hands of Robert, Count of Mortain, the king's half brother, and younger brother of Odo of Bayeux, then Earl of Kent.

Bermondsey Abbey was founded as a Cluniac priory in 1082, and was dedicated to St Saviour. Monks from the abbey began the development of the area, cultivating the land and embanking the riverside. They turned an adjacent tidal inlet at the mouth of the River Neckinger into a dock, named St Saviour's Dock after their abbey. The Knights Templar also owned land here and gave their names to one of the most distinctive streets in London, Shad Thames (a corruption of 'St John at Thames'). Other ecclesiastical properties stood nearby at Tooley (a corruption of 'St Olave's') Street, located in the Archbishop of Canterbury's manor of Southwark, where wealthy citizens and clerics had their houses, including the priors of Lewes and St Augustine's, Canterbury, and the abbot of Battle.

As it developed over the centuries, Bermondsey underwent some striking changes. After the Great Fire of London, it was settled by the well-to-do and took on the character of a garden suburb especially along the lines of Grange Road, as Bermondsey Street became more urbanised. A pleasure garden was founded there in the 17th century, commemorated by the Cherry Garden Pier. Samuel Pepys visited 'Jamaica House' at Cherry Gardens in 1664 and recorded in his diary that he had left it "singing finely".

Though not many buildings survive from this era, one notable exception is the church of St Mary Magdalen in Bermondsey Street, completed in 1690 (although a church has been recorded on this site from the 13th Century). This church came through both 19th-century redevelopment and The Blitz unscathed. It is not just an unusual survivor for Bermondsey; buildings of this era are relative rarities in Inner London in general.

In the 18th century, the discovery of a spring from the river Neckinger in the area led to Bermondsey becoming a spa leisure resort, as the area between Grange and Jamaica Roads called Spa Road commemorates.

It was from the Bermondsey riverside that the painter J.M.W. Turner executed his famous painting of The Fighting Temeraire Tugged to her Last Berth to be Broken Up (1839), depicting the veteran warship being towed to Rotherhithe to be scrapped.

By the mid-19th century parts of Bermondsey, especially along the riverside had become a notorious slum — with the arrival of industrial plants, docks and immigrant housing. The area around St Saviour's Dock, known as Jacob's Island, was one of the worst in London. It was immortalised by Charles Dickens's novel Oliver Twist, in which the principal villain Bill Sikes meets a nasty end in the mud of 'Folly Ditch' an area which was known as Hickmans Folly — the scene of an attack by Spring Heeled Jack in 1845 — surrounding Jacob's Island. Dickens provides a vivid description of what it was like:

<CITE>... crazy wooden galleries common to the backs of half a dozen houses, with holes from which to look upon the slime beneath; windows, broken and patched, with poles thrust out, on which to dry the linen that is never there; rooms so small, so filthy, so confined, that the air would seem to be too tainted even for the dirt and squalor which they shelter; wooden chambers thrusting themselves out above the mud and threatening to fall into it — as some have done; dirt-besmeared walls and decaying foundations, every repulsive lineament of poverty, every loathsome indication of filth, rot, and garbage: all these ornament the banks of Jacob's Island.</CITE>

Bermondsey Town Hall was built on Spa Road in 1881. The area was extensively redeveloped during the 19th century and early 20th century with the expansion of the river trade and the arrival of the railways. London's first passenger railway terminus was built by the London to Greenwich Railway in 1836 at London Bridge. The first section to be used was between the Spa Road Station and Deptford High Street. This local station had closed by 1915.

The industrial boom of the 19th century was an extension of Bermondsey's manufacturing role in earlier eras. As in the East End, industries that were deemed too noisome to be carried on within the narrow confines of the City of London had been located here — one such that came to dominate central Bermondsey, away from the riverfront, was the processing and trading of leather and hides. Many buildings from this era survive around Leathermarket Street including the huge Leather, Hide and Wool Exchange (now residential and small work spaces). Hepburn and Gale's tannery (disused as of early 2007) on Long Lane is also a substantial survivor of the leather trade.

Peek, Frean and Co was established in 1857 at Dockhead, Bermondsey by James Peek and George Hender Frean. They moved to a larger plant in Clements Road in 1866, leading to the nickname 'Biscuit Town' for Bermondsey, where they continued baking until the brand was discontinued in 1989. Wee Willie Harris (usually credited as the first British rock and roll player) came from Bermondsey. He was known as Britain's Wild man of Rock N' Roll). He also worked in Peak Freans.

To the east of Tower Bridge, Bermondsey's 3½ miles of riverside were lined with warehouses and wharves, of which the best known is Butler's Wharf. They suffered severe damage in World War II bombing and became redundant in the 1960s following the collapse of the river trade. After standing derelict for some years, many of the wharves were redeveloped under the aegis of the London Docklands Development Corporation during the 1980s. They have now been converted into a mixture of residential and commercial accommodations and have become some of the most upmarket and expensive properties in London. In 1997, US President Bill Clinton and Prime Minister Tony Blair visited the area to dine at the Pont de la Tour restaurant at Butler's Wharf.

Millwall F.C. moved to a new stadium on Coldblow Lane in 1910, having previously played in Millwall, but have kept their original name despite playing at the opposite side of the River Thames to the Millwall area. They played at The Den until 1993, when they relocated to the New Den nearby. A public sports centre is also included in their stadium.

Reorganisation of lines and closure of stations left Bermondsey's transport links with the rest of London poorer in the late twentieth century. This was remedied in 2000 with the opening of Bermondsey tube station on the London Underground's Jubilee Line Extension and the rebranded East London Line forms part of the new London Overground system reopening direct links with the City and north London.

Bermondsey tube station was designed by Ian Ritchie Architects and was originally intended to have a multi-storey office building sitting on top.


LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Bermondsey:   What's in a name?
Bermondsey Spa Gardens:   
Bosco Centre College:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 14 and 19.
Boutcher Church of England Primary School:   Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 5 and 11.
Cherry Garden School:   Community special school which accepts students between the ages of 2 and 11.
City of London Academy (Southwark):   Academy sponsor led (Secondary) which accepts students between the ages of 11 and 19. Admissions policy: Comprehensive (secondary).
Compass School Southwark:   Free schools (Secondary) which accepts students between the ages of 11 and 18. Admissions policy: Comprehensive (secondary).
English Martyrs Roman Catholic Primary School:   Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Goodman’s Fields Theatre:   Two 18th century theatres bearing the name Goodman’s Fields Theatre were located on Alie Street, Whitechapel.
Harris Academy Bermondsey:   Academy sponsor led (Secondary) which accepts students between the ages of 11 and 18. Admissions policy: Comprehensive (secondary).
Harry Gosling Primary School:   Community school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Hermitage Primary School:   Community school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Holy Trinity, Minories:   Holy Trinity, Minories was a Church of England parish church outside the eastern boundaries of the City of London, but within the Liberties of the Tower of London.
King’s Stairs Gardens:   
Phoenix Primary School:   Community school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Riverside Primary School:   Community school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
South Bermondsey Children and Parents Centre:   This is a children’s centre.
Spa School:   Community special school which accepts students between the ages of 11 and 19.
St James’ Church of England Primary School:   Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 5 and 11.
St Michael’s Catholic College:   Academy converter (Secondary) which accepts students between the ages of 11 and 18. Admissions policy: Comprehensive (secondary).
St Paul’s Whitechapel Church of England Primary School:   Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
The Angel:   The Angel Public House is grade II listed and dates from the 1830s.
Tower Gateway:   Tower Gateway is a Docklands Light Railway station near to the Tower of London.


PHOTOS OF THE AREA
Bridge House:   The building with the canopy is Bridge House, George Row, Bermondsey, in 1926.
John’s Hill:   The corner of Johns Hill and Pennington Street, Wapping, December 1906.


NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Abbey Gardens, SE1 · Abbey Gardens, SE16 · Abercorn Way, SE1 · Achilles Close, SE1 · Adams Gardens Estate, SE16 · Alderman Stairs, E1W · Alderman Stairs, SE1 · Aldgate Bus Garage, EC3N · Alexis Street, SE16 · Alma Grove, SE1 · Alscot Road, SE1 · Alscot Road, SE16 · Argyle Way, SE16 · Artichoke Hill, E1W · Asher Way, E1W · Asher Way, E98 · Avocet Close, SE1 · Avondale Square, SE1 · Back Church Lane, E1 · Back Mews, SE4 · Balaclava Road, SE1 · Beatrice Road, SE1 · Bermondsey Wall East, SE16 · Bermondsey Wall West, SE1 · Bermondsey Wall West, SE16 · Bevington Street, SE16 · Blue Anchor Lane, SE16 · Blue Anchor Yard, E1 · Bombay Street, SE16 · Bowmans Mews, E1 · Boyd Street, E1 · Breezer’s Hill, E1W · Brodie Street, SE1 · Burr Close, E1W · Burslem Street, E1 · Bushwood Drive, SE1 · Butlers Colonial Wharf, SE1 · Buttermere Close, SE1 · Cadbury Way, SE16 · Cadet Drive, SE1 · Camilla Road, SE16 · Cardamom Building, SE1 · Cartwright Street, E1 · Cathay Street, SE16 · Catlin Street, SE16 · Chamber Street, E1 · Chambers Street, SE16 · Chaucer Drive, SE1 · Christian Street, E1 · Cleme, SE16 · Clemence Road, SE16 · Clement, SE16 · Clements Road, SE16 · Clements Rod, SE16 · Clements, SE16 · Collett Road, SE16 · Commercial Pier Wharf, SE16 · Coopers Road, SE1 · Copper Row, SE1 · Cottle Lane, SE16 · Crescent, EC3N · Cresent, EC3N · Crofts Street, E1 · Curlew Street, SE1 · Devon Mansions, SE1 · Dixon’s Alley, SE16 · Dock Street, E1 · Dockhead, SE1 · Dockley Road, SE16 · Drappers Way, SE16 · Dunton Road, SE1 · East Flank, SE18 · East Point, SE1 · East Smithfield, E1W · East Smithfield, EC3N · East Tenter Street, E1 · Enid Street, SE16 · Ensign Street, E1 · Ensign Street, SE3 · Esmeralda Road, SE1 · Fairclough Street, E1 · Farncombe Street, SE16 · Flank Street, E1 · Fletcher Street, E1 · Flockton Street, SE16 · Forbes Street, E1 · Fort Road, SE1 · Fortune Place, SE1 · Fountain Green Square, SE16 · Frean Street, SE16 · Fulford Street, SE16 · Gainsford Street, SE1 · George Row, SE16 · Globe Stairs, SE16 · Golding Street, E1 · Goodman?s Yard, E1 · Goodmans Yard, E1 · Goodwin Close, SE16 · Grange Walk, SE16 · Harmony Place, SE1 · Hatteraick Road, SE16 · Haydon Street, E1 · Haydon Street, EC3N · Hazel Way, SE1 · Henley Drive, SE1 · Henley Drive, SE16 · Hermitage Court, E1W · Hermitage Wall, E1W · Hooper Street, E1 · Humphrey Street, SE1 · Ibex House, EC3N · Ivory House, E1W · Jacob Street, SE1 · Jacob Street, SE16 · Jamaica Road, SE1 · Jamaica Road, SE16 · Janeway Street, SE16 · John Felton Road, SE16 · John Roll Way, SE16 · Kennet Street, E1W · King Stairs Close, SE16 · Kintore Way, SE1 · Knighten Street, E1W · Knighton Street, E1W · Kotree way, SE1 · Lafone Street, SE1 · Langdale Street, E1 · Leman Street, E1 · Linsey Street, SE16 · Little Somerset Street, E1 · Llewellyn Street, SE16 · Lloyds Wharf, SE1 · Lockwood Square, SE16 · Longfellow Way, SE1 · Longley Street, SE1 · Lucey Road, SE16 · Lucey Way, SE16 · Lynton Road, SE1 · Macks Road, SE16 · Maggie Blake’s Cause, SE1 · Maggie Blake’s Cause, SE1 · Maguire Street, SE1 · Maguire, SE1 · Mansell Street, E1 · Mansell Street, EC3N · Maria Close, SE16 · Marigold Street, SE16 · Market Place, SE16 · Marlborough Grove, SE1 · Mayflower Street, SE16 · Mews Street, E1W · Mill Street, SE1 · Mill Yard, E1 · Millpond Estate West Lane, SE16 · Minories, EC3N · Monnow Road, SE1 · National Terrace, SE16 · Neckinger Street, SE1 · Neckinger, SE16 · Nesham Street, E1W · New Concordia Wharf, SE1 · Nile Terrace, SE15 · North Tenter Street, E1 · Oakley Place, SE1 · Old Jamaica Road Business Estate, SE16 · Old Jamaica Road, SE16 · Old Kent Road, SE1 · Orton Street, E1W · Oxley Close, SE1 · Paradise Street, SE16 · Parkers Row, SE1 · Pennington Street, E1W · Perryn Road, SE16 · Philchurch Place, E1 · Phoenix Wharf Road, SE1 · Pier Head, E1W · Pinchin Street, E1 · Ponler Street, E1 · Pope House, SE16 · Portsoken Street, E1 · Pottery Street, SE16 · Prescot Street, E1 · Prospect Street, SE16 · Providence Square, SE1 · Queen Elizabeth Street, SE1 · Raven Wharf, SE1 · Reverdy Road, SE1 · Rock Grove Way, SE16 · Rolls Road, SE1 · Rope Walk, SE1 · Rotherhithe Street, E1W · Rotherhithe Tunnel Approach Road, SE16 · Rotherhithe Tunnel, E1W · Rotherhithe Tunnel, SE16 · Rouel Road, SE16 · Rowcross Street, SE1 · Royal Mint Court, EC3N · Royal Mint Place, E1 · Royal Mint Street, E1 · Rupack Street, SE16 · Ryder Drive, SE16 · Saint Katharine’s Way, E1W · Saint Katherine’s Way, E1W · Saint Marychurch Street, SE16 · Sampson Street, E1W · Scarborough Street, E1 · Scott Lidgett Crescent, SE16 · Scotts Sufferance Wharfmill Street, SE1 · Setchell Road, SE1 · Shad Thames, E1W · Shad Thames, SE1 · Sherwood Gardens, SE16 · Shorter Street, E1 · Shorter Street, EC3N · Simms Road, SE1 · Six Bridges Trading Estate, SE1 · Smeaton Street, E1W · South Tenter Street, E1 · Southwark Park Road, SE16 · Spa Court, SE16 · Spa Road, SE1 · Spa Road, SE16 · Springalls Wharf Apartments, SE16 · St Anthony’s Close, E1W · St Clare House, EC3N · St Clare Street, EC3N · St Jamess Road, SE1 · St Jamess Road, SE16 · St Katharines Way, E1W · St Katharine’s Way, E1W · St Mark Street, E1 · Stanworth Street, SE1 · Star Place, E1W · Stevenson Crescent, SE16 · Stevenson Cresent, SE16 · Stockholm Way, E1W · Stork’s Road, SE16 · Strathnairn Street, SE1 · Studios, N17 · Stutfield Street, E1 · Swedenborg Gardens, E1 · Sweeney Crescent, SE1 · Swift Court, SE1 · Telfords Yard, E1W · Tenda Road, SE16 · The Circle, SE1 · Thomas More Square, E1W · Thomas More Street, E1W · Thorburn Square, SE1 · Three Oak Lane, SE1 · Thurland Road, SE16 · Toussaint Walk, SE16 · Tovy House, SE1 · Tower Bridge Approach, E1W · Tower Bridge Approach, EC3N · Tower Bridge Business Complex, SE16 · Tower Bridge Piazza, SE1 · Tower Bridge, E1W · Tower Walk, E1W · Tranton Road, SE16 · Trothy Road, SE1 · Unity Wharf, SE1 · Vauban Street, SE16 · Vaughan Way, E1W · Verney Way, SE16 · Virginia Street, E1W · Vogans Mill, SE1 · Wade House, SE1 · Wade House, SE16 · Wapping High Street, E1W · Wapping Old Stairs East, E1W · Waterside Close, SE16 · Weald Close, SE16 · Webster Road, SE16 · Wellclose Square, E1 · West Lane, SE16 · West Tenter Street, E1 · Wicker Street, E1 · Wilson Grove, SE16 · Wolseley Street, SE1 · Woodmill Close, SW15 · Woolstaplers Way, SE16 · Yalding Road, SE16 ·
Print-friendly version of this page

Links

Bermondsey
Facebook Page
Tower Hill
Facebook Page
Tower Gateway
Facebook Page
Ideal Homes
A history of South East London's suburbs
Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
Edith’s Streets
A wander through London, street by street
Londonist
All-encompassing website
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Time Out
Listings magazine

Maps


Central London, south east (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Central London, south east.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Cruchley's New Plan of London (1848) FREE DOWNLOAD
Cruchley's New Plan of London Shewing all the new and intended improvements to the Present Time. - Cruchley's Superior Map of London, with references to upwards of 500 Streets, Squares, Public Places & C. improved to 1848: with a compendium of all Place of Public Amusements also shewing the Railways & Stations.
G. F. Cruchley

Cary's New And Accurate Plan of London and Westminster (1818) FREE DOWNLOAD
Cary's map provides a detailed view of London. With print date of 1 January 1818, Cary's map has 27 panels arranged in 3 rows of 9 panels, each measuring approximately 6 1/2 by 10 5/8 inches. The complete map measures 32 1/8 by 59 1/2 inches. Digitising this map has involved aligning the panels into one contiguous map.
John Cary

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1843) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured.
Chapman and Hall, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1836) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Insets: A view of the Tower from London Bridge -- A view of London from Copenhagen Fields. Includes views of facades of 25 structures "A comparison of the principal buildings of London."
Chapman and Hall, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.