Polygon Road, NW1

Road is in an area which may have existed since the nineteenth century or before with housing mainly dating from the 2010s

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
54.235.4.196 
Too much info? Click here to declutter the page
Agar Town · Albany Street · Albion Yard · Aldenham Street · Alexander the Great · Ampere Way · Ampere Way · Argyle Square · Barnby Street · Baynham Place · Be At One · Beaconsfield Street · Beatrice · Beatty Street · Belgrove Street · Belushi’s · Bemerton Street · Black Heart · Bloomsbury · Bloomsbury Theatre · Bridgeway Street · Brill Place · British Library · Brock Street · Cambridge Gate Mews · Cambridge Terrace Mews · Camden High Street · Camden People’s Theatre · Camden Town (1920) · Camley Street · Cardington Street · Cavali · Chalton Street · Charles 1 · Charrington Street · Chenies Place · Chester Close North · Chester Close South · Chester Terrace · Christopher Place · Church Way · Churchway · Clarence Gardens · Clarkson Row · Coach Road · College Grove · Compton Place · Cooper’s Lane · County Hotel Ground Floor Bar · Cranleigh Street · Crestfield Street · Crinan Street · Cromer Street · Crown & Anchor · Crowndale Court · Crowndale Road · Cumberland Terrace · Doric Way · Doric Arch · Doric Way · Drummond Crescent · Duke’s Road · Earl of Camden · Eastnor Castle · Edinboro Castle · Elixir Bar · Euston · Euston Road · Euston Road · Euston Road · Euston Square · Euston Square · Euston Tap · Euston Tower · Eversholt Street · Everton Buildings · Exmouth Arms · Flaxman Terrace · Foundry Mews · Gatti’s Wharf · Goods Way · Gower Court · Grafton Place · Granary Street · Hampden Close · Hampstead Road · Handyside Street · Handyside Street · Hare & Tortoise · Harrington Street · Heathcote Street · Judd Street · Keystone Crescent · King’s Boulevard · King’s Cross Square · King’s Cross Station Concourse · King’s Terrace · King's Cross St Pancras · Koko · Lancing Street · Lidlington Place · Lincoln Arms · Lord John Russell P.H. · Lucas Arms · Lyttleton Arms · Mabel’s Tavern · Marquis Cornwallis · Mayford · McGlynn Freehouse · Medburn Street · Midhope Street · Midland Road · Miller’s Bar · Mornington Crescent · Mornington Cresent · Nash Street · Nelsons Wine Bar Ltd · New Bloomsbury Set · Norfolk Arms · North Cloisters · O’Neill’s · Oakley Square · Oakshott Court · Ossulston Estate · Ossulston Street · Outram Place · Pancras Road · Pancras Square · Park Village East · Park Village Mews · Park Village West · Penryn Street · Peto Place · Phoenix Road · Pratt Street · Prince Arthur · Purchese Street · Queens Head & Artichoke · Regent Square · Regent’s Canal towpath · Regent’s Canal towpath · Regent’s Canal towpath · Resident’s Club Bar · Rhodes Farm · Royal College of Physicians · Royal George · Secrets · Seymour House · Shaker and Company · Sidmouth Street · Signmakers Yard · Skinners Arms · Somers Close · Somers Town · Spread Eagle · St Aloysius Social Club · St Pancras · St Pancras Cruising Club · St. Chad’s Street · St. James Gardens · Stable Street · Tankerton Street · Tavistock Place · Terrett’s Place · The 'Royal Blue' horse omnibus outside 5 Euston Road (1912) · The Blues Kitchen · The Boot · The Bree Louise · The Camden Head · The Circle · The Cock Tavern · The Dolphin · The Driver · The Dublin Castle · The Euston Flyer · The Fellow · The Golden Lion · The Harrison · The Place Theatre Bar · The Polygon · The Purple Turtle · The Rocket · The Sheephaven Bay · The Squares Tavern & Wine Bar · The Star of Kings · The Victory · The Water Rats Club · The Wine Stores · The World’s End · The York & Albany P.H · Tiber Gardens · Treaty Street · Unity Mews · Varndell Street · Wakefield St · Wakefield Street · Wellington Square · Werrington Street · Westking Place · Whittlebury Street · Woburn Walk · Woolf Mews · York Road Curve · York Way · York Way
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Somers Town · NW1 ·
JANUARY
1
2000

Polygon Road is a street in Camden Town.



VIEW THE SOMERS TOWN AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE SOMERS TOWN AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE SOMERS TOWN AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE SOMERS TOWN AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE SOMERS TOWN AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Somers Town

Somers Town is a district close to three main line rail termini - Euston, St Pancras and King’s Cross.

Historically, the name Somers Town was used for the larger triangular area between the Pancras, Hampstead, and Euston Roads, but it is now taken to mean the rough rectangle bounded by Pancras Road, Euston Road and Eversholt Street.

Somers Town was named after Charles Cocks, 1st Baron Somers (1725–1806). The area was originally granted by William III to John Somers (1651–1716), Lord Chancellor and Baron Somers of Evesham.

In the mid 1750s the New Road was established to bypass the congestion of London; Somers Town lay immediately north of this east-west toll road. In 1784, the first housing was built at the Polygon amid fields, brick works and market gardens on the northern fringes of London. The site of the Polygon is now occupied by a block of council flats called Oakshott Court.

The Polygon deteriorated socially as the surrounding land was subsequently sold off in smaller lots for cheaper housing, especially after the start of construction in the 1830s of the railway lines into Euston, St Pancras and King’s Cross. In this period the area housed a large transient population of labourers and the population density of the area soared. By the late 19th century most of the houses were in multiple occupation, and overcrowding was severe with whole families sometimes living in one room, as confirmed by the social surveys of Charles Booth and Irene Barclay.

When St Luke’s Church, near King’s Cross, was demolished to make way for the construction of the Midland Railway St Pancras Station and its Midland Grand Hotel, the estimated twelve thousand inhabitants of Somers Town at that time were deprived of that place of worship, as the church building was re-erected in Kentish Town. In 1868 the lace merchant and philanthropist George Moore funded a new church, known as Christ Church, and an associated school in Chalton Street with an entrance in Ossulston Street. The school accommodated about six hundred children. Christ Church and the adjacent school were destroyed in a World War II bombing raid and no trace remains today, the site being occupied by a children’s play area and sports court.

Improvement of the slum housing conditions, amongst the worst in the capital, was first undertaken by St Pancras Council in 1906 at Goldington Buildings, at the junction of Pancras Road and Royal College Street, and continued on a larger scale by the St Pancras House Improvement Society (subsequently the St Pancras & Humanist Housing Association, the present owner of Goldington Buildings) which was established in 1924. Further social housing was built by the London County Council, which began construction of the Ossulston Estate in 1927. There remains a small number of older Grade 2 listed properties, mostly Georgian terraced houses.

During the early 1970s the neighbourhood comprising GLC-owned housing in Charrington, Penryn, Platt and Medburn Streets was a centre for the squatting movement.

In the 1980s, some council tenants took advantage of the ’right to buy’ scheme and bought their homes at a substantial discount. Later they moved away from the area. The consequence was an influx of young semi-professional people, resulting in a changing population.

Major construction work along the eastern side of Somers Town was completed in 2008, to allow for the Eurostar trains to arrive at the refurbished St Pancras Station. This involved the excavation of part of the St Pancras Old Churchyard, the human remains being re-interred at St Pancras and Islington Cemetery in East Finchley.

Land at Brill Place, previously earmarked for later phases of the British Library development, became available when the library expansion was cancelled and was used as site offices for the HS1 terminal development and partly to allow for excavation of a tunnel for the new Thameslink station. It was then acquired as the site for the Francis Crick Institute (formerly the UK Centre for Medical Research and Innovation), a major medical research institute.
Print-friendly version of this page

Maps


Central London, north west (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Central London, north west.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Cruchley's New Plan of London (1848) FREE DOWNLOAD
Cruchley's New Plan of London Shewing all the new and intended improvements to the Present Time. - Cruchley's Superior Map of London, with references to upwards of 500 Streets, Squares, Public Places & C. improved to 1848: with a compendium of all Place of Public Amusements also shewing the Railways & Stations.
G. F. Cruchley

Cary's New And Accurate Plan of London and Westminster (1818) FREE DOWNLOAD
Cary's map provides a detailed view of London. With print date of 1 January 1818, Cary's map has 27 panels arranged in 3 rows of 9 panels, each measuring approximately 6 1/2 by 10 5/8 inches. The complete map measures 32 1/8 by 59 1/2 inches. Digitising this map has involved aligning the panels into one contiguous map.
John Cary

John Rocque Map of London (1762) FREE DOWNLOAD
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map covers central London at a reduced level of detail compared with his 1745-6 map.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1843) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured.
Chapman and Hall, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1836) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Insets: A view of the Tower from London Bridge -- A view of London from Copenhagen Fields. Includes views of facades of 25 structures "A comparison of the principal buildings of London."
Chapman and Hall, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.