Showing every large house so far featured

(N.B. So as not to break the map, this will only show the first 5000).

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
100.26.176.182 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Large house · Marylebone · W1H ·
October
28
2017

Montagu House at 22 Portman Square was a historic London house.

Montagu House, Portman Square
Occupying a site at the northwest corner of the square, in the angle between Gloucester Place and Upper Berkeley Street, it was built for Mrs Elizabeth Montagu, a wealthy widow and patroness of the arts, to the design of the neoclassicist architect James Stuart.

Construction began in 1777 and the house was completed in 1781, whereupon it became Mrs Montagu’s London residence until her death on 25 August 1800. The house was destroyed by an incendiary bomb in the Blitz of London and the site is now occupied by the Radisson SAS Portman Hotel.


Main source: Wikipedia
Further citations and sources


xxx

Montagu House, Portman Square
User unknown/public domain


West End Lady
West End Lady   
Added: 7 Mar 2018 21:30 GMT   
IP: 82.11.189.108
2:1:2654
Post by West End Lady: Rossmore Road, NW1

Rossmore Road is not in Camden Town, it is in St Marylebone - I should know. I was born and raised there! If anyone wants a further information please post on here.

Alec donaldson
Alec donaldson   
Added: 31 Jul 2017 18:02 GMT   
IP: 86.171.222.102
2:2:2654
Post by Alec donaldson: North Wharf Road, W2

Was there a Wellington street there

LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 5 Dec 2019 16:27 GMT   
IP:
3:3:2654
Post by LDNnews: Aldwych
The Odeon Marble Arch (known as the Regal 1928-1945) was a cinema located opposite Marble Arch monument at the top of Park Lane, with its main entrance on Edgware Road.
The Odeon Marble Arch (known as the Regal 1928-1945) was a cinema located opposite Marble Arch monument at the top of Park Lane, with its main entrance on Edgware Road.

https://www.theundergroundmap.com/article.html?id=2637

LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 24 Nov 2019 16:27 GMT   
IP:
3:4:2654
Post by LDNnews: Aldwych
The Long Water is a recreational lake in Kensington Gardens, created in 1730 at the behest of Queen Caroline.
The Long Water is a recreational lake in Kensington Gardens, created in 1730 at the behest of Queen Caroline.

https://www.theundergroundmap.com/article.html?id=37053

VIEW THE MARYLEBONE AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE MARYLEBONE AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE MARYLEBONE AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE MARYLEBONE AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE MARYLEBONE AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Marylebone

Marylebone - so good they named it once but pronounced it seven different ways.

Marylebone is an area in the City of Westminster North of Oxford Street and South of Regents Park. Edgware Road forms the Western boundary. Portland Place forms the eastern boundary with the area known as Fitzrovia.

Marylebone gets its name from a church, called St Mary's, that was built on the bank of a small stream or bourne called the Tyburn. The church and the surrounding area later became known as St Mary at the bourne, which over time became shortened to its present form Marylebone.

Today the area is mostly residential with a stylish High Street. It is also notable for its Arab population on its far western border around Edgware Road.

Marylebone station, opened in 1899, is the youngest of London's mainline terminal stations, and also one of the smallest, having opened with half the number of platforms originally planned.

Originally the London terminus of the ill-fated Great Central Main Line, it now serves as the terminus of the Chiltern Main Line route.

The underground station is served by the Bakerloo Line, opening on 27 March 1907 by the Baker Street and Waterloo Railway under the name Great Central (following a change from the originally-intended name Lisson Grove). It was renamed Marylebone in 1917.
Print-friendly version of this page