Westminster Bridge Road, SE1

Road in/near Lambeth North, existing between the 1740s and now

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Fullscreen map
Road · Lambeth North · SE1 ·

Westminster Bridge Road runs on an east-west axis and passes through the boroughs of Lambeth and Southwark.

Between 1740 and 1746, the Commissioners of Westminster Bridge bought land from the Archbishop of Canterbury and ground in Lambeth Marsh from the Lord Mayor and Commonalty of the City of London for the approach to the bridge on the southern (then-Surrey) side. This was the start date of Westminster Bridge Road.

The Roman Catholic St George’s Cathedral, Southwark is between Westminster Bridge Road and St George’s Road, the frontage to the diocesan offices being on Westminster Bridge Road. Morley College, an adult education college, is located on the road, and so is the associated Morley Gallery.

The Lincoln Memorial Tower built by Christopher Newman Hall in the late 19th century in memory of Abraham Lincoln and the Emancipation Proclamation stands close to the junction with Kennington Road.

The London Necropolis railway station rebuilt its terminus in 1902, moving it to Westminster Bridge Road. The station was bombed in the London Blitz in 1941 and subsequently closed. Its entrance remains intact at 121 Westminster Bridge Road.

The Canterbury Music Hall stood at 143 Westminster Bridge Road, commissioned by Charles Morton in 1852 when it was built adjacent to the Canterbury Tavern. It was destroyed by World War II bombing in 1942. The later Gatti’s-in-the-Road music hall opposite was commissioned by Carlo Gatti and opened in 1865. It later became a cinema and, after being badly damaged in the Second World War, was demolished in 1950.The Florence Nightingale Museum is at the west end of the street within the grounds of St Thomas’ Hospital.

Between 1964 and 1994 the office block at 100 Westminster Bridge Road, then known as Century House, was home to the UK’s overseas intelligence agency, the Secret Intelligence Service (SIS), or more commonly MI6. The building was refurbished and converted into the residential Perspective Building, designed by Assael Architecture. in 2001.

Main source: Wikipedia
Further citations and sources



Lambeth North

Lambeth North is the area surrounding the Imperial War Museum.

Since the 19th century North Lambeth has been one of the names to describe the area around Waterloo station and the shopping district around Lower Marsh market, which was the heart of the original Lambeth village. This area contains many business premises and nationally important locations such as St Thomas' Hospital, the London Eye, the Royal National Theatre, the Royal Festival Hall, County Hall, Lambeth Palace, and the Imperial War Museum.

Lambeth North tube station serves the area. Designed by Leslie Green, the station was opened by the Baker Street & Waterloo Railway on 10 March 1906, with the name Kennington Road. It served as the temporary southern terminus of the line until 5 August 1906, when Elephant & Castle station was opened. The station's name was changed to Westminster Bridge Road in July 1906 and it was again renamed, to Lambeth North, in April 1917.

At 4am on 16 January 1941, a German Satan 1800 kg general-purpose bomb hit a hostel at nearby 92 Westminster Bridge Road. The shock-wave severely damaged the southbound platform tunnel injuring 28 people sheltering there, one of whom died in hospital 15 days later. Thirty-seven rings of the damaged tunnel had to be completely replaced, 15 partially replaced, and 86 feet of platform rebuilt. Traffic through the station resumed after 95 days.
Print-friendly version of this page