Quickswood, NW3

Road is in an area which may have existed since the nineteenth century or before with housing mainly dating from the 1960s

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
34.228.42.25 
Adamson Road · Ainger Road · Akenside Road · Albert Terrace Mews · Albert Terrace · Antrim Grove · Antrim Mansions · Antrim Road · Aspern Grove · Avenue Close · Avenue Road · Baptist Gardens · Baynes Mews · Belsize Avenue · Belsize Court Garages · Belsize Court · Belsize Crescent · Belsize Cresent · Belsize Grove · Belsize Lane · Belsize Mews · Belsize Park · Belsize Park Gardens · Belsize Park Mews · Belsize Park · Belsize Place · Belsize Square · Belsize Terrace · Benevolent Institution for the Relief of Aged and Infirm Tailors · Boydell Court · Briary Close · Bridge Approach · Brocas Close · Broxwood Way · Buckland Crescent · Central Avenue · Central School of Speech and Drama · Chalcot Crescent · Chalcot Gardens · Chalcot Square · Chalk Farm · Chalk Farm · Chalk Farm Parade · Chalk Farm Road · Chaston Place · Coity Road · College Crescent · College Cresent · Conybeare · Crossfield Road · Daleham Gardens · Daleham Mews · Dobson Close · Dorman Way · Downside Crescent · Dunboyne Road · Elizabeth Mews · Elsworthy Road · Elsworthy Terrace · Elton Place · England’s Lane · Englands Lane · Erskine Mews · Erskine Road · Eton Avenue · Eton College Road · Eton Court · Eton Garages · Eton Hall · Eton Rise · Eton Road · Eton Villas · Fellows Road · Finchley Road · Fine Arts College · Fitzjohn’s Avenue · Fitzjohns Avenue · Fitzjohn’s Avenue · Fountain Mews · Garnett Road · Gilden Crescent · Glenilla Road · Glenloch Road · Glenmore Road · Gordon House Road · Gospel Oak · Grafton Terrace · Hall School · Hampstead Green · Hampstead Theatre · Harben Parade · Harben Road · Haverstock Hill · Haverstock School · Hawtrey Road · Herbert Street · Hillfield Court · Hillfield Mansions · Hornby Close · Howitt Close · Howitt Close · Howitt Road · Huson Close · Isokon Building · Juniper Crescent · King Henry’s Road · King’s College Road · Kingsford Street · Lamble Street · Lambolle Place · Lambolle Road · Lancaster Drive · Lancaster Grove · Lancaster Stables · Lawn Road · Lowlands · Lyndhurst Gardens · Lyndhurst Terrace · Maitland Park Road · Maitland Park Villas · Mansfield Road · Mansfield Road · Martys Yard · McCrone Mews · Mead Close · Meadowbank · Middle Field · Midland Crescent · Modbury Gardens · New College Parade · Noel House · Norfolk Road · Northways Parade · Nutley Terrace · Oppidans Mews · Oppidans Road · Ordnance Hill · Ormonde Court · Ormonde Terrace · Ornan Road · Park Hill Road · Parkhill Road · Parkhill Walk · Pax Lodge · Perceval Avenue · Primrose Gardens · Primrose Hill Road · Prince of Wales Road · Princess Mews · Provost Road · Queen’s Crescent · Queen’s Grove · Queens Crescent · Queensmead · Quickswood · Radlett Place · Regent’s Park Road · Rossetti Mews · Rudgwick Terrace · Saint Edmund’s Terrace · Saint George’s Terrace · Sharples Hall Street · South Hampstead High School · St Edmund’s Terrace · St Edmund’s Terrace · St John’s Wood Park · St Stephen’s Close · St. Mary’s Town and Country School · Stanbury Court · Steele’s Mews South · Steele’s Road · Strathray Gardens · Sumpter Close · Swiss Cottage · Swiss Terrace · Tasker Road · The Marlowes · Thurlow Terrace · Tobin Close · Truro Street · Tudor Close · Upper Park Road · Wadham Gardens · Wandsworth Place · Waterhouse Close · Wells Rise · Winchester Road · Wood Field · Woodland Walk · Woodland Walk · Woronzow Road
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Belsize Park · NW3 ·
JANUARY
1
2015

Quickswood is a street in Hampstead.


VIEW THE BELSIZE PARK AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE BELSIZE PARK AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE BELSIZE PARK AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE BELSIZE PARK AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE BELSIZE PARK AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Belsize Park

The Manor of Belsize dates back to 1317, with the name is derived from French bel assis meaning 'well situated'.

Belsize Manor was built by Daniel O'Neill for his wife, the Countess of Chesterfield, in the 17th century. Urbanisation took place largely between 1852 and 1878, by which time it extended to Haverstock Hill. After World War I, the construction of blocks of flats began, and now a great many of the larger houses are also converted into flats.

Belsize Park underground station was opened on 22 June 1907 by the Charing Cross, Euston & Hampstead Railway as an intermediate station on its line from Charing Cross to Hampstead. It is served by three lifts and there are 219 steps. The station was designed by Leslie Green and has his familiar facade of ox-blood faience with four round arched windows. It remained largely untouched until the late 1980s when the lifts were replaced and a new ticketing system installed.

It was during the 1930s that Belsize Park contributed most to the artistic and intellectual life of Hampstead. Artists associated with the Mall studios included Dame Barbara Hepworth from 1927 to 1939, her first husband John Skeaping and second Ben Nicholson from 1931 to 1939, and Henry Moore, who lived at no. 11A Parkhill Road from 1929 to 1940. They were members of Unit One, a group of artists and architects founded in 1933 by Paul Nash (1889-1946), who lived at no. 3 Eldon Grove from 1936 to 1939. Sir Herbert Read, the poet and art critic, who lived in 1934-5 at the Mall studios, which he described as a 'nest of gentle artists', published the group's manifesto, a theory of modern style.

Another centre was no. 37 Belsize Park Gardens, meeting place of MARS, an architectural group, and home of Jack Pritchard, who founded Isokon, a firm making modern furniture designed by people like Walter Gropius and Marcel Breuer, refugees who brought a European dimension to the abstract design movement in the arts. Others included Piet Mondrian, the Dutch painter, who stayed with the Pritchards before moving to no. 60 Parkhill Road (1938-41). Pritchard also commissioned Wells Coates in 1934 to build the Isokon or Lawn Road flats, partly to house artistic refugees, on a site which he owned. Built in concrete in a functional style, the flats came to be recognized as 'a milestone in the introduction of the modern idiom into London'.

In World War II, a large underground air-raid shelter was built here and its entrance can still be seen near the tube station at Downside Crescent. The area on Haverstock Hill north of Belsize Park underground station up to Hampstead Town Hall and including part of a primary school near the Royal Free Hospital was heavily bombed.

Belsize Park these days is a lively area with many restaurants, pubs and cafés along Haverstock Hill and also England's Lane.

Glossary: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 9, edited by C R Elrington.

Print-friendly version of this page

Maps


John Rocque Map of Hampstead (1762).
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map of Hampstead covers an area stretching from the edge in the northwest of present-day Dollis Hill to Islington in the southeast.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.