Print-friendly version of this page This section of Poplar was developed as part of the Port of London in 1840s and 1850s by William Cubitt, Lord Mayor of London (1860–1862).
The Space is an arts space on the Isle of Dogs.
The Space is located inside a former Presbyterian church. This was built in 1859 for the Scottish Presbyterian congregation who had migrated to the Isle of Dogs to work in the shipyards. It was designed by Thomas Knightley. It was taken over by the St. Paul’s Arts Trust, headed by Robert Richardson, in 1989, and has been restored.
The Space offers many kinds of performance, including dance, drama and live music. Sir Ian McKellen became the principal patron.
The Space has established itself as a community theatre, offering free drama classes for youths from nearby schools. It is staffed mainly by volunteers.
Cubitt Town lies on the eastern side of the Isle of Dogs. William Cubitt was responsible for the early housing which accommodated the growing population of dockworkers and shipbuilders.
Along with the housing, Cubitt also created many local businesses.
Bangladeshi and East Asian immigrant populations became established after the 1950s.
During the 1960s and 1970s, high-rise estates began to be built and during the 1990s and afterwards, the Canary Wharf
complex attracted a different mix of people.