Southfields is mainly residential, historically a part of Wandsworth, and is divided between SW18 and SW19 postcode areas.
Replingham Road was built in the 1890s and 1900s as part of the ’Southfields Grid’.
The area had been an expanse of meadows and market gardens, owned by Augusta Beaumont - a member of the temperance movement.Licence:
In 1889, the first trains travelled along the newly-extended Putney Bridge to Wimbledon railway line. The frequency of District Railway trains improved greatly with electrification. Over the following decade, builders George Ryan and Henry Penfold began constructing The Grid where a new three-bedroom home would typically cost £325.
There were no pubs in the first period as Augusta Beaumont drew up a restrictive covenant when she sold the land for development.
St Barnabas Church was consecrated in 1908.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Southfields takes its name from the old manorial system, where one field was known as the South Field of the manor of Dunsford. The equivalent North Field lay between West Hill
and the River Thames and survives in the short road named Northfields
which runs to the east of Wandsworth Park.
Until the late 19th century, Southfields was still fields, situated between the more developed villages of Wimbledon and Putney.
After the District & London
& South Western Railway from Wimbledon to Putney Bridge
opened in June 1889, the area started to urbanise, with the first school opening a year later on Merton Road
The main residential areas of Southfields are the "Southfields Triangle" and "The Grid".
The "Southfields Triangle" is a series of roads and streets that (somewhat) resemble a triangle. It covers the area from Standen Road
in the south to Granville Road
in the north. In 1904, the Frame Foods babyfood company opened its factory in Standen Road
in a building with a distinctive art nouveau style. The building has been converted into luxury flats.
"The Grid" is a series of parallel roads run from Replingham Road, in the north to Revelstoke Road
, in the south. "The Grid" consists almost entirely of Edwardian terrace houses, some of which have been converted into flats. A restrictive covenant at one time prevented any pubs from being built in the Southfields "Grid" area.