At the other end of Park Lane from Marble Arch, Hyde Park Corner has struck terror into many a learner driver.
The Royal Artillery Memorial is a stone memorial at Hyde Park Corner
, dedicated to the First World War casualties of the Royal Regiment of Artillery.
The memorial was designed by Charles Jagger and Lionel Pearson, and features a giant sculpture of a BL 9.2-inch Mk I howitzer upon a large plinth of Portland stone, with stone reliefs depicting scenes from the conflict. Four bronze figures of artillerymen are positioned around the outside of the memorial.
The memorial is famous for its realist contrast with other First World War memorials, such as the Cenotaph designed by Edwin Lutyens, and attracted much public debate during the 20th century.
In the centre of the roundabout stands Constitution Arch (or Wellington Arch), designed by Decimus Burton as a memorial to the Duke of Wellington and originally providing a grand entrance to London. It was built as a northern gate to the grounds of Buckingham Palace
. Originally the arch was topped with an equestrian statue of the Duke by Matthew Cotes Wyatt, but it was replaced with the current work, The Angel of Peace descending on the Quadriga of Victory (1912) by Adrian Jones.
Other monuments at Hyde Park
Corner include Jones’s Monument to the Cavalry of the Empire (off the west side of Park Lane
), Alexander Munro’s Boy and Dolphin statue (in a rose garden parallel to Rotten Row
, going west from Hyde Park
Corner), the Wellington Monument (off the west side of Park Lane
) and a statue of Byron (on a traffic island opposite the Wellington Monument).
To the north of the roundabout is Apsley House, the home of the first Duke of Wellington. Such was Wellington’s ego, that he insisted that his letters were addressed to Number 1, London
Hyde Park Corner
was used as a code to announce to the Government the death of King George VI in 1952.
Corner tube station was opened by the Great Northern, Piccadilly
and Brompton Railway on 15 December 1906. It is one of the few stations which have no associated buildings above ground, the station being fully underground.
The original, Leslie Green-designed station building still remains to the south of the road junction, notable by its ox-blood coloured tiles; it was until June 2010 used as a pizza restaurant, and since January 2013 it is the Wellesley Hotel. The building was taken out of use in the early 1930s when the station was provided with escalators in place of lifts although an emergency stairway provides a connection to the platforms. The lift shafts are now used to provide ventilation.
After the station was rebuilt with escalators the adjacent little-used station at Down Street
to the east (towards Green Park) was taken out of use.