The Windsor Castle

Pub/bar/cafe in Maida Hill, existed between 1829 and 2009

 HOME  ARTICLE  MAP  FULLSCREEN  STREETS  RECENT  BLOG  HELP  CONTACT 
Click here to log in on Facebook Advanced
MAPPING:1750180018301860190019302017Fullscreen map
Pub/bar/cafe · Maida Hill · W9 · Contributed by The Underground Map
June
12
2015
Click to enlarge image.


It started life as the building at one end of houses on the south side of the Harrow Road, then called Ormes Green.

When rebuilt about 1850, the new building was typical of the villa development in this part of Harrow Road. It has turrets on the top reminiscent of its namesake: the real Windsor Castle.

After passing about a hundred years as a classic local pub, it burst into musical significance.

It was renowned for early gigs by the Rolling Stones and the Who.

The pub was a punk rock venue in the mid to late 1970s. Playing there, among others, were Dr Feelgood, The Jam, U2 and the Psychedelic Furs. The 101`ers with Joe Strummer - his band prior to forming the Clash - played there. The inspiration for the ‘Protex Blue’ track is said to come from the contraceptive machine in the toilets of the Windsor Castle.

After moving considerably downmarket as a strip club, it closed in 2009.

Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence

VIEW THE MAIDA HILL AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE MAIDA HILL AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE MAIDA HILL AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE MAIDA HILL AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE MAIDA HILL AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

 
 Upload an image
You can add an image to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 Add new information to this location
You can add text to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 
 Log on via Facebook
You can use a Facebook id to add material to this website.

Go to Westbourne Park

Westbourne Park

Westbourne Park was originally, with Westbourne Green, an area simply known as Westbourne.

Westbourne Green was, with Paddington Green, one of the area's earliest settlements. A growing residential area lay to the west of Westbourne Green.

For a short while known as Westbournia, when this part of London was developed, Westbourne Park became the name given to the area. This is reflected in a number of street names - notably Westbourne Park Road and in the Underground station. The first station operated from 1866 to 1871. In 1871 it was replaced by another station further east.

The good transport encouraged many to move into this area. To the north and east there were extensive railway yards. More recently there is also a Westbourne Park bus garage, built where there once were railway yards, just northeast of the underground station.

The name Westbourne (which means 'west of the river') was by the nineteenth century applied to the river itself (previously called the Bays Water amongst other names).


LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Corner of Kilburn Park Road and Shirland Road:   Kilburn Park Road and Shirland Road meet at a junction in the north of Maida Vale.
Maida Hill:   Maida Hill's name derives from the Hero of Maida inn which used to be on Edgware Road near the Regent's Canal.
Orme's Green:   Ormes Green was the former name for this part of Westbourne Park.
St Mary’s Harrow Road:   St Mary’s Harrow Road was built as the infirmary for the Paddington Workhouse.
The Prince of Wales Cinema:   The Prince of Wales Cinema was located at 331 Harrow Road.
Westbourne Manor:   The Manor of Westbourne
Westbourne Park:   Westbourne Park was originally, with Westbourne Green, an area simply known as Westbourne.
Weston’s Cider House:   In 1930 Weston’s opened their first and only cider mill on the Harrow Road.


NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Abinger Mews, W9 · Admiral Walk, W9 · Aldridge Road Villas, W11 · Alfred Road, W2 · Amberley Road, W9 · Barnard Lodge, W9 · Barnsdale Road, W9 · Burlington Close, W9 · Chippenham Mews, W9 · Chippenham Road, W9 · Downfield Close, W9 · Drayford Close, W9 · Edbrooke Road, W9 · Elmfield Way, W9 · Fernhead Road, W9 · Godson Yard, NW6 · Goldney Road, W9 · Great Western Road, W11 · Great Western Road, W2 · Great Western Road, W9 · Great Western Studios, W9 · Grittleton Road, W9 · Harrow Road, W9 · Hermes Close, W9 · Hunter Lodge, W9 · Lanhill Road, W9 · Lapford Close, W9 · Leamington House, W11 · Leamington Road Villas, W11 · Lister Lodge, W9 · Lydford Road, W9 · Marylands Road, W9 · Oakington Road, W9 · Riverton Close, W9 · Sevington Street, W9 · Shirland Mews, W9 · Shirland Road, W9 · St Luke’s Road, W11 · St Stephens Gardens, W2 · St Stephens Mews, W2 · St Stephen’s Gardens, W2 · Surrendale Place, W9 · Walterton Road, W9 · Warlock Road, W9 · Westbourne Park Road, W11 · Westbourne Park Road, W2 · Western Mews, W9 · Westway, W9 · Widley Road, W9 · Windsor Gardens, W9 · Woodfield Crescent, W9 · Woodfield Place, W9 · Woodfield Road, W9 · Wymering Mansions, W9 ·


USING THIS MATERIAL IN OTHER ARTICLES


COMMENTS

Print-friendly version of this page

Links

North Kensington Histories
Recollections of people from North Kensington, London
Old Notting Hill/North Ken History
Facebook group, covering the history of W10 and W11.
RBKC Library Time Machine
Blog from the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Library
Kilburn Park
Facebook Page
Queen’s Park
Facebook Page
Westbourne Park
Facebook Page
Bayswater
Facebook Page
Royal Oak
Facebook Page
The Notting Hill & North Kensington Photo Archive
Facebook group
Born in W10
Facebook group
Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.

Maps


Inner West London (1932) FREE DOWNLOAD
1930s map covering East Acton, Holland Park, Kensington, Notting Hill, Olympia, Shepherds Bush and Westbourne Park,
George Philip & Son, Ltd./London Geographical Society, 1932

Central London, north west (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Central London, north west.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 


COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or – from the available evidence – are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.