Old and New London: Temple Bar

Temple Bar was rebuilt by Sir Christopher Wren, in 1670–72.

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  FULLSCREEN  STREETS  RECENT  BLOG  HELP  CONTACT 
54.198.243.51 Advanced
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302018Fullscreen map
Article · City of London · EC4Y · Contributed by The Underground Map
MARCH
26
2018
The old wooden Temple Bar
Credit: Walter Thornbury

Temple Bar was rebuilt by Sir Christopher Wren, in 1670–72.

Temple Bar was rebuilt by Sir Christopher Wren, in 1670–72, soon after the Great Fire had swept away eighty-nine London churches, four out of the seven City gates, 460 streets, and 13,200 houses, and had destroyed fifteen of the twenty-six wards, and laid waste 436 acres of buildings, from the Tower eastward to the Inner Temple westward.

The old black gateway, once the dreaded Golgotha of English traitors, separates, it should be remembered, the Strand from Fleet Street, the city from the shire, and the Freedom of the City of London from the Liberty of the City of Westminster. As Hatton (1708—Queen Anne) says,—”This gate opens not immediately into the City itself, but into the Liberty or Freedom thereof.” We need hardly say that nothing can be more erroneous than the ordinary London supposition that Temple Bar ever formed part of the City fortifications. Mr. Gilbert à Beckett, laughing at this tradition, once said in Punch: “Temple Bar has always seemed to me a weak point in the fortifications of London. Bless you, the besieging army would never stay to bombard it—they would dash through the barber’s.”

The Great Fire never reached nearer Temple Bar than the Inner Temple, on the south side of Fleet Steet, and St. Dunstan’s Church, on the north.

The Bar is of Portland stone, which London smoke alternately blackens and calcines; and each façade has four Corinthian pilasters, an entablature, and an arched pediment. On the west (Strand) side, in two niches, stand, as eternal sentries, Charles I. and Charles II., in Roman costume. Charles I. has long ago lost his bâton, as he once deliberately lost his head. Over the keystone of the central arch there used to be the royal arms. On the east side are James I. and Elizabeth (by many able writers supposed to be Anne of Denmark, James I.’s queen). She is pointing her white finger at Child’s; while he, looking down on the passing cabs, seems to say, “I am nearly tired of standing; suppose we go to Whitehall, and sit down a bit?”

The slab over the eastern side of the arch bears the following inscription, now all but smoothed down by time:—

“Erected in the year 1670, Sir Samuel Starling, Mayor; continued in the year 1671, Sir Richard Ford, Lord Mayor; and finished in the year, 1672, Sir George Waterman, Lord Mayor.”

All these persons were friends of Pepys.

The upper part of the Bar is flanked by scrolls, but the fruit and flowers once sculptured on the pediment, and the supporters of the royal arms over the posterns, have crumbled away. In the centre of each façade is a semicircular-headed, ecclesiastical-looking window, that casts a dim horny light into a room above the gate, held of the City, at an annual rent of some £50, by Messrs. Childs, the bankers, as a sort of muniment-room for their old account-books. There is here preserved, among other costlier treasures of Mammon, the private account-book of Charles II. The original Child was a friend of Pepys, and is mentioned by him as quarrelling with the Duke of York on Admiralty matters. The Child who succeeded him was a friend of Pope, and all but led him into the South-Sea Bubble speculation.

Those affected, mean statues, with the crinkly drapery, were the work of a vain, half-crazed sculptor named John Bushnell, who died mad in 1701. Bushnell, who had visited Rome and Venice, executed Cowley’s monument in Westminster Abbey, and the statues of Charles I., Charles II., and Gresham, in the Old Exchange.

There is no extant historical account of Temple Bar in which the following passage from Strype (George I.) is not to be found embedded like a fossil; it is, in fact, nearly all we London topographers know of the early history of the Bar:— “Anciently,” says Strype, “there were only posts, rails, and a chain, such as are now in Holborn, Smithfield, and Whitechapel bars. Afterwards there was a house of timber erected across the street, with a narrow gateway and an entry on the south side of it under the house.” This structure is to be seen in the bird’s-eye view of London, 1601 (Elizabeth), and in Hollar’s seven-sheet map of London (Charles II.)

The date of the erection of the “wooden house” is not to be ascertained; but there is the house plain enough in a view of London to which Maitland affixes the date about 1560 (the second year of Elizabeth), so we may perhaps safely put it down as early as Edward VI. or Henry VIII. Indeed, if a certain scrap of history is correct—i.e., that bluff King Hal once threatened, if a certain Bill did not pass the Commons a little quicker, to fix the heads of several refractory M.P.s on the top of Temple Bar—we must suppose the old City toll-gate to be as old as the early Tudors.

After Simon de Montfort’s death, at the battle of Evesham, 1265, Prince Edward, afterwards Edward I., punished the rebellious Londoners, who had befriended Montfort, by taking away all their street chains and bars, and locking them up in the Tower.

The earliest known documentary and historical notice of Temple Bar is in 1327, the first year of Edward III.; and in the thirty-fourth year of the same reign we find, at an inquisition before the mayor, twelve witnesses deposing that the commonalty of the City had, time out of mind, had free ingress and egress from the City to Thames and from Thames to the City, through the great gate of the Templars situate within Temple Bar. This referred to some dispute about the right of way through the Temple, built in the reign of Henry I. In 1384 Richard II. granted a licence for paving Strand Street from Temple Bar to the Savoy, and collecting tolls to cover such charges.

The historical pageants that have taken place at Temple Bar deserve a notice, however short. On the 5th of November, 1422, the corpse of that brave and chivalrous king, the hero of Agincourt, Henry V., was borne to its rest at Westminster Abbey by the chief citizens and nobles, and every doorway from Southwark to Temple Bar had its mournful torch-bearer. In 1502–3 the hearse of Elizabeth of York, queen of Henry VII., halted at Temple Bar, on its way from the Tower to Westminster, and at the Bar the Abbots of Westminster and Bermondsey blessed the corpse, and the Earl of Derby and a large company of nobles joined the sable funeral throng. After sorrow came joy, and after joy sorrow—Ita vita. In the next reign poor Anne Boleyn, radiant with happiness and triumph, came through the Bar (May 31, 1534), on her way to the Tower, to be welcomed by the clamorous citizens, the day before her ill-starred coronation. Temple Bar on that occasion was new painted and repaired, and near it stood singing men and children—the Fleet Street conduit all the time running claret. The old gate figures more conspicuously the day before the coronation of that wondrous child, Edward VI. Two hogsheads of wine were then ladled out to the thirsty mob, and the gate at Temple Bar was painted with battlements and buttresses, richly hung with cloth of Arras, and all in a flutter with “fourteen standard flags.” There were eight French trumpeters blowing their best, besides “a pair of regals,” with children singing to the same. In September, 1553, when Edward’s cold-hearted half-sister, Mary Tudor, came through the City, according to ancient English custom, the day before her coronation, she did not ride on horseback, as Edward had done, but sat in a chariot covered with cloth of tissue and drawn by six horses draped with the same. Minstrels piped and trumpeted at Ludgate, and Temple Bar was newly painted and hung.

Old Temple Bar, the background to many historical scenes, figures in the rash rebellion of Sir Thomas Wyatt. When he had fought his way down Piccadilly to the Strand, Temple Bar was thrown open to him, or forced open by him; but when he had been repulsed at Ludgate he was hemmed in by cavalry at Temple Bar, where he surrendered. This foolish revolt led to the death of innocent Lady Jane Grey, and brought sixty brave gentlemen to the scaffold and the gallows.

On Elizabeth’s procession from the Tower before her coronation, January, 1559, Gogmagog the Albion, and Corineus the Briton, the two Guildhall giants, stood on the Bar; and on the south side there were chorister lads, one of whom, richly attired as a page, bade the queen farewell in the name of the whole City. In 1588, the glorious year that the Armada was defeated, Elizabeth passed through the Bar on her way to return thanks to God solemnly at St. Paul’s. The City waits stood in triumph on the roof of the gate. The Lord Mayor and Aldermen, in scarlet gowns, welcomed the queen and delivered up the City sword, then on her return they took horse and rode before her. The City Companies lined the north side of the street, the lawyers and gentlemen of the Inns of Court the south. Among the latter stood a person afterwards not altogether unknown, one Francis Bacon, who displayed his wit by saying to a friend, “Mark the courtiers! Those who bow first to the citizens are in debt; those who bow first to us are at law!”

In 1601, when the Earl of Essex made his insane attempt to rouse the City to rebellion, Temple Bar, we are told, was thrown open to him; but Ludgate being closed against him on his retreat from Cheapside, he came back by boat to Essex House, where he surrendered after a short and useless resistance.

King James made his first public entry into his royal City of London, with his consort and son Henry, upon the 15th of March, 1603–4. The king was mounted upon a white genet, ambling through the crowded streets under a canopy held by eight gentlemen of the Privy Chamber, as representatives of the Barons of the Cinque Ports, and passed under six arches of triumph, to take his leave at the Temple of Janus, erected for the occasion at Temple Bar. This edifice was fiftyseven feet high, proportioned in every respect like a temple.

In June, 1649 (the year of the execution of Charles), Cromwell and the Parliament dined at Guildhall in state, and the mayor, says Whitelocke, delivered up the sword to the Speaker, at Temple Bar, as he had before done to King Charles.

Philips, Milton’s nephew, who wrote the continuation of Baker’s Chronicle, describes the ceremony at Temple Bar on the proclamation of Charles II. The old oak gates being shut, the king-at-arms, with tabard on and trumpet before him, knocked and gravely demanded entrance. The Lord Mayor appointed some one to ask who knocked. The king-at-arms replied, that if they would open the wicket, and let the Lord Mayor come thither, he would to him deliver his message. The Lord Mayor then appeared, tremendous in crimson velvet gown, and on horseback, of all things in the world, the trumpets sounding as the gallant knight pricked forth to demand of the herald, who he was and what was his message. The bold herald, with his hat on, answered, regardless of Lindley Murray, who was yet unknown, “We are the herald-at-arms appointed and commanded by the Lords and Commons assembled in Parliament, and demand an entrance into the famous City of London, to proclaim Charles II. King of England, Scotland, France, and Ireland, and we expect your speedy answer to our demand.” An alderman then replied, “The message is accepted,” and the gates were thrown open.

When William III. came to see the City and the Lord Mayor’s Show in 1689, the City militia, holding lighted flambeaux, lined Fleet Street as far as Temple Bar.

The shadow of every monarch and popular hero since Charles II.’s time has rested for at least a passing moment at the old gateway. Queen Anne passed here to return thanks at St. Paul’s for the victory of Blenheim. Here Marlborough’s coach ominously broke down in 1714, when he returned in triumph from his voluntary exile.

George III. passed through Temple Bar, young and happy, the year after his coronation, and again when, old and almost broken-hearted, he returned thanks for his partial recovery from insanity; and in our time that graceless son of his, the Prince Regent, came through the Bar in 1814, to thank God at St. Paul’s for the downfall of Bonaparte.

On the 9th November, 1837, the accession of Queen Victoria, Sir Peter Laurie, picturesque in scarlet gown, Spanish hat, and black feathers, presented the City sword to the Queen at Temple Bar; Sir Peter was again ready with the same weapon in 1844, when the Queen opened the new Royal Exchange; but in 1851, when her Majesty once more visited the City, the old ceremony was (wrongly, we think) dispensed with.

At the funeral of Lord Nelson, the honoured corpse, followed by downcast old sailors, was met at the Bar by the Lord Mayor and the Corporation; and the Great Duke’s funeral car, and the long train of representative soldiers, rested at the Bar, which was hung with black velvet.

A few earlier associations connected with the present Bar deserve a moment or two’s recollection. On February 12th, when General Monk—”Honest George,” as his old Cromwellian soldiers used to call him—entered London, dislodged the “Rump” Parliament, and prepared for the Restoration of Charles II., bonfires were lit, the City bells rung, and London broke into a sudden flame of joy. Pepys, walking homeward about ten o’clock, says:— “The common joy was everywhere to be seen. The number of bonfires—there being fourteen between St. Dunstan’s and Temple Bar, and at Strand Bridge, east of Catherine Street, I could at one time tell thirty-one fires.”

On November 17, 1679, the year after the sham Popish Plot concocted by those matchless scoundrels, Titus Oates, an expelled naval. chaplain, and Bedloe; a swindler and thief, Temple Bar was made the spot for a great mob pilgrimage, on the anniversary of the accession of Queen Elizabeth, The ceremonial is supposed to have been organised by that restless plotter against a Popish succession, Lord Shaftesbury, and the gentlemen of the Green Ribbon Club, whose tavern, the “King’s Head,” was at the corner of Chancery Lane, opposite the Inner Temple gate. To scare and vex the Papists, the church bells began to clash out as early as three o’clock on the morning of that dangerous day. At dusk the procession of several thousand half-crazed torch-bearers started from Moorgate, along Bishopsgate Street, and down Houndsditch and Aldgate (passing Shaftesbury’s house imagine the roar of the monster mob, the wave of torches, and the fiery fountains of squibs at that point!), then through Leadenhall Street and Cornhill, by the Royal Exchange, along Cheapside and on to Temple Bar, where the bonfire awaited the puppets. In a torrent of fire the noisy Protestants passed through the exulting City, making the Papists cower and shudder in their garrets and cellars, and before the flaming deluge opened a storm of shouting people. This procession consisted of fifteen groups of priests, Jesuits, and friars, two following a man on a horse, holding up before him a dummy, dressed to represent Sir Edmondbury Godfrey, a Protestant justice and wood merchant, supposed to have been murdered by Roman Catholics at Somerset House. It was attended by a body-guard of 150 swordbearers and a man roaring a political cry of the time through a brazen speaking-trumpet. The great bonfire was built up mountain high opposite the Inner Temple gate. Some zealous Protestants, by pre-arrangement, had crowned the prim and meagre statue of Elizabeth (still on the east side of the Bar) with a wreath of gilt laurel, and placed under her hand (that now points to Child’s Bank) a golden glistening shield, with the motto, “The Protestant Religion and Magna Charta,” inscribed upon it. Several lighted torches were stuck before her niche. Lastly, amidst a fiery shower of squibs from every door and window, the Pope and his companions were toppled into the huge bonfire, with shouts that reached almost to Charing Cross.

These mischievous processions were continued till the reign of George I. There was to have been a magnificent one on November 17, 1711, when the Whigs were dreading the contemplated peace with the French and the return of Marlborough. But the Tories, declaring that the Kit-Cat Club was urging the mob to destroy the house of Harley, the Minister, and to tear him to pieces, seized on the wax figures in Drury Lane, and forbade the ceremony.

As early as two years after the Restoration, Sir Balthazar Gerbier, a restless architectural quack and adventurer of those days, wrote a pamphlet proposing a sumptuous gate at Temple Bar, and the levelling of the Fleet Valley. After the Great Fire Charles II. himself hurried the erection of the Bar, and promised money to carry out the work. During the Great Fire, Temple Bar was one of the stations for constables, 100 firemen, and 30 soldiers.

The Rye-House Plot brought the first trophy to the Golgotha of the Bar, in 1684, twelve years after its erection. Sir Thomas Armstrong was deep in the scheme. If the discreditable witnesses examined against Lord William Russell are to be believed, a plot had been concocted by a few desperate men to assassinate “the Blackbird and the Goldfinch “—as the conspirators called the King and the Duke of York—as they were in their coach on their way from Newmarket to London. This plan seems to have been the suggestion of Rumbold, a maltster, who lived in a lonely moated farmhouse, called Rye House, about eighteen miles from London, near the river Ware, close to a by-road that leads from Bishop Stortford to Hoddesdon. Charles II. had a violent hatred to Armstrong, who had been his Gentleman of the Horse, and was supposed to have incited his illegitimate son, the Duke of Monmouth, to rebellion. Sir Thomas was hanged at Tyburn. After the body had hung half an hour, the hangman cut it down, stripped it, lopped off the head, threw the heart into a fire, and divided, the body into four parts. The fore-quarter (afterbeing boiled in pitch at Newgate) was set on Temple Bar, the head was placed on Westminster Hall, and the rest of the body was sent to Stafford, which town Sir Thomas represented in Parliament.

Eleven years after, the heads of two more traitors —this time conspirators against William III.— joined the relic of Armstrong. Sir John Friend was a rich brewer at Aldgate. Parkyns was an old Warwickshire county gentleman. The plotters had several plans. One was to attack Kensington Palace at night, scale the outer wall, and storm or fire the building; another was to kill William on a Sunday, as he drove from Kensington to the chapel at St. James’s Palace. The murderers agreed to assemble near where Apsley House now standsJust as the royal coach passed from Hyde Park across to the Green Park, thirty conspirators agreed to fall on the twenty-five guards, and butcher the king before he could leap out of his carriageThese two Jacobite gentlemen died bravely, proclaiming their entire loyalty to King James and the “Prince of Wales.”

The unfortunate gentlemen who took a moody pleasure in drinking “the squeezing of the rotten Orange” had long passed on their doleful journey from Newgate to Tyburn before the ghastly procession of the brave and unlucky men of the rising, in 1715 began its mournful march.

Sir Bernard Burke mentions a tradition that the head of the young Earl of Derwentwater was exposed on Temple Bar in 1716, and that his wife drove in a cart under the arch while a man hired, for the purpose threw down to her the beloved head from the parapet above. But the story is entirely untrue, and is only a version of the way in which the head of Sir Thomas More was removed by his son-in-law and daughter from London Bridge, where that cruel tyrant Henry VIII. had placed it. Some years ago, when the Earl of Derwentwater’s coffin was found in the family vault, the head was lying safe with the body. In 1716 there was, however, a traitor’s head spiked on the Bar—that of Colonel John Oxburgh, the victim of mistaken fidelity to a bad cause. He was a brave Lancashire gentleman, who had surrendered with his forces at Preston. He displayed signal courage and resignation in prison, forgetting himself to comfort others.

The next victim was Mr. Christopher Layer, a young Norfolk man and a Jacobite barrister, living in Southampton Buildings, Chancery Lane. He plunged deeply into the Atterbury Plot of 1722, and, with Lords North and Grey, enlisted men, hired officers, and, taking advantage of the universal misery caused by the bursting ‘of the South Sea Bubble, planned a general rising against George I. The scheme was, with four distinct bodies of Jacobites, to seize the Tower and the Bank, to arrest the king and the prince, and capture or kill Lord Cadogan, one of the Ministers. At the trial it was proved that Layer had been over to Rome, and had seen the Pretender, who, by proxy, had stood godfather to his child. Troops were to be sent from France; barricades were to be thrown up all over London. The Jacobites had calculated that the Government had only 14,000 men to meet them— 3,000 of these would be wanted to guard London, 3,000 for Scotland, and 2,000 for the garrisons. The original design had been to take advantage of the king’s departure for Hanover, and, in the words of one of the conspirators, the Jacobites were fully convinced that “they should walk King George out before Lady-day.” Layer was hanged at Tyburn, and his head fixed upon Temple Bar.

Years after, one stormy night in 1753, the rebel’s skull blew down, and was picked up by a nonjuring attorney, named Pierce, who preserved it as a relic of the Jacobite martyr. It is said that Dr. Richard Rawlinson, an eminent antiquary, obtained what he thought was Layer’s head, and desired in his will that it should be placed in his right hand when he was buried. Another version of the story is, that a spurious skull was foisted upon Rawlinson, who died happy in the possession of the doubtful treasure. Rawlinson was bantered by Addison for his pedantry, in one of the Tatlers, and was praised by Dr. Johnson for his learning.

The 1745 rebellion brought the heads of fresh victims to the Bar, and this was the last triumph of barbarous justice. Colonel Francis Townley’s was the sixth head; Fletcher’s (his fellow-officer), the seventh and last. The Earls of Kilmarnock and Cromarty, Lord Balmerino, and thirty-seven other rebels (thirty-six of them having been captured in Carlisle) were tried the same session. Townley was a man of about fifty-four years of age, nephew of Mr. Townley of Townley Hall, in Lancashire (the “Townley Marbles” family), who had been tried and acquitted in 1725, though many of his men were found guilty and executed. The nephew had gone over to France in 1727, and obtained a commission from the French king, whom he served for fifteen years, being at the siege of Philipsburg, and close to the Duke of Berwick when that general’s head was shot off. About 1740, Townley stole over to, England to see his friends and to plot against the Hanover family; and as soon as the rebels came into England, he met them between Lancaster and Preston, and came with them to Manchester. At the trial Roger M’Donald, an officer’s servant, deposed to seeing Townley on the retreat from Derby, and between Lancaster and Preston riding at the head of the Manchester regiment on a bay horse. He had a white cockade in his hat and wore a plaid sash.

George Fletcher, who was tried at the same time as Townley, was a rash young chapman, who managed his widowed mother’s provision shop “at Salford, just over the bridge in Manchester.” His mother had begged him on her knees to keep out of the rebellion, even offering him a thousand pounds for his own pocket, if he would stay at home. He bought a captain’s commission of Murray, the Pretender’s secretary, for fifty pounds; wore the smart white cockade and a Highland plaid sash lined with white silk; and headed the very first captain’s guard mounted for the Pretender at Carlisle. A Manchester man deposed to seeing at the Exchange a sergeant, with a drum, beating up for volunteers for the Manchester regiment.

Fletcher, Townley, and seven other unfortunate Jacobites were hanged on Kennington Common. Before the carts drove away, the men flung their prayer-books, written speeches, and gold-laced hats gaily to the crowd. Mr. James (Jemmy) Dawson, the hero of Shenstone’s touching ballad, was one of the nine. As soon as they were dead the hangman cut down the bodies, disembowelled, beheaded, and quartered them, throwing the hearts into the fire. A monster—a fighting-man of the day, named Buckhorse—is said to have actually eaten a piece of Townley’s flesh, to show his loyalty. Before the ghastly scene was over, the heart of one unhappy spectator had already broken. The lady to whom James Dawson was engaged to be married followed the rebels to the common, and even came near enough to see, with pallid face, the fire kindling, the axe, the coffins, and all the other dreadful preparations. She bore up bravely, until she heard her lover was no more. Then she drew her head back into the coach, and crying out, “My dear, I follow thee—I follow thee! Lord God, receive our souls, I pray Thee!” fell on the neck of a companion and expired. Mr. Dawson had behaved gallantly in prison, saying, “He did not care if they put a ton weight of iron upon him, it would not daunt him.”

A curious old print of 1746, full of vulgar triumph, reproduces a “Temple Bar, the City Golgotha,” representing the Bar with three heads on the top of it, spiked on long iron rods. The devil looks down in ribald triumph from above, and waves a rebel banner, on which, besides three coffins and a crown, is the motto, “A crown or a grave.” Underneath are written these patriotic but doggrel lines:—

“Observe the banner which would all enslave,
Which misled traytors did so proudly wave;
The devil seems the project to surprise;
A fiend confused from off the trophy flies.
While trembling rebels at the fabric gaze,
And dread their fate with horror and amaze,
Let Britain’s sons the emblematic view,
And plainly see what is rebellion’s due.”

The heads of Fletcher and Townley were put on the Bar August 12, 1746. On August 15th Horace Walpole, writing to a friend, says he had just been roaming in the City, and “passed under the new heads on Temple Bar, where people make a trade of letting spy-glasses at a halfpenny a look.” According to Mr. J. T. Smith, an old man living in 1825 remembered, the last heads on Temple Bar being visible through a telescope across the space between the Bar and Leicester Fields.

Between two and three A.M., on the morning of January 20, 1766, a mysterious man was arrested by the watch as he was discharging, by the dim light, musket bullets at the two heads then remaining upon Temple Bar. On being questioned by the puzzled magistrate, he affected a disorder in his senses, and craftily declared that the patriotic reason for his eccentric conduct was his strong attachment to the present Government, and that he thought it not sufficient that a traitor should merely suffer death; that this provoked his indignation, and it had been his constant practice for three nights past to amuse himself in the same manner. “And it is much to be feared,” says the past record of the event, “that the man is a near relation to one of the unhappy sufferers.” Upon searching this very suspicious marksman, about fifty musket bullets were found on him, wrapped up in a paper on which was written the motto, “Eripuit ille vitam.”

After this, history leaves the heads of the unhappy Jacobites — those lips that love had kissed, those: cheeks children had patted—to moulder on in the sun and in the rain, till the last day of March, 1772,. when one of them (Townley or Fletcher) fell. The last stormy gust of March threw it down, and a short time after a strong wind blew down the other; and against the sky no more relics remained of a barbarous and unchristian revenge. In April, 1773, Boswell, whom we all despise and all like,. dined at courtly Mr. Beauclerk’s with Dr. Johnson, Lord Charlemont (Hogarth’s friend), Sir Joshua Reynolds, and other members of the literaryclub, in Gerrard Street, Soho, it being the awful evening when Boswell was to be balloted forThe conversation turned on the new and commendable practice of erecting monuments to great men in St. Paul’s. The Doctor observed: “I remember once being with Goldsmith in Westminster Abbey. Whilst we stood at Poet’s Corner, I said to him,—

“Forsitan et nostrum nomen miscebitur istis.”—Ovid.
When we got to Temple Bar he stopped me, and pointing to the heads upon it, slily whispered,—
“Forsitan et nostrum nomen miscebitur istis.”

This anecdote, so full of clever, arch wit, is sufficient to endear the old gateway to all lovers of Johnson and of Goldsmith.

According to Mr. Timbs, in his “London and Westminster,” Mrs. Black, the wife of the editor of the Morning Chronicle, when asked if she remembered any heads on Temple Bar, used to reply, in her brusque, hearty way, “Boys, I recollect the scene well! I have seen on that Temple Bar, about which you ask, two human heads—real heads— traitors’ heads—spiked on iron poles. There were two; I saw one fall (March 31, 1772). Women shrieked as it fell; men, as I have heard, shrieked. One woman near me fainted. Yes, boys, I recollect seeing human heads upon Temple Bar.”

The cruel-looking spikes were removed early in the present century. The panelled oak gates have often been renewed, though certainly shutting them too often never wore them out.

As early as 1790 Alderman Pickett (who built the St. Clement’s arch), with other subversive reformers, tried to pull down Temple Bar. It was pronounced unworthy of form, of no antiquity, an ambuscade for pickpockets, and a record of only the dark and crimson pages of history.

A writer in the Gentleman’s Magazine, in 1813; chronicling the clearance away of some hovels encroaching upon the building, says: “It will not be surprising if certain amateurs, busy in improving the architectural concerns of the City, should at length request of their brethren to allow the Bar or grand gate of entrance into the City of London to stand, after they have so repeatedly sought to obtain its destruction.” In 1852 a proposal for its repair and restoration was defeated in the Common Council; and twelve months later, a number of bankers, merchants, and traders set their hands to a petition for its removal altogether, as serving no practical purpose, as it impeded ventilation and retarded improvements. Since then Mr. Heywood has proposed to make a circus at Temple Bar, leaving the archway in the centre; and Mr. W. Burges, the architect, suggested a new arch in keeping with the new Law Courts opposite.

It is a singular fact that the “Parentalia,” a chronicle of Wren’s works written by Wren’s clever son, contains hardly anything about Temple Bar. According to Mr Noble, the Wren manuscripts in the British Museum, Wren’s ledger in the Bodleian, and the Record Office documents, are equally silent; but from a folio at the Guildhall, entitled “Expenses of Public Buildings after the Great Fire,” it would appear that the Bar cost altogether £1,397 10s.; Bushnell, the sculptor, receiving out of this sum £480 for his four stone monarchs. The mason was John Marshall, who carved the pedestal of the statue of Charles I. at Charing Cross and worked on the Monument in Fish Street Hill. In 1636 Inigo Jones had designed a new arch, the plan of which still exists. Wren, it is said, took his design of the Bar from an old temple at Rome.

The old Bar is now a mere piece of useless and disused armour. Once a protection, then an ornament, it has now become an obstruction—the too narrow neck of a large decanter—a bone in the throat of Fleet Street. Yet still we have a lingering fondness for the old barrier that we have seen draped in black for a dead hero and glittering with gold in honour of a young bride. We have shared the sunshine that brightened it and the gloom that has darkened it, and we feel for it a species of friendship, in which it mutely shares. To us there seems to be a dignity in its dirt and pathos in the mud that bespatters its patient old face, as, like a sturdy fortress, it holds out against all its enemies, and Charles I. and II., and Elizabeth and James I. keep a bright look-out day and night for all attacks. Nevertheless, it must go in time, we fear. Poor old Temple Bar, we shall miss you when you are gone!

Source: Old and New London: Volume 1 – The Underground Map



Add your own contribution to Old and New London: Temple Bar.
Ensure that contributions are kept civilised and are not abusive.
We store your comment's IP address and reserve the right to apply bans where community standards are violated.
Please enter your name:
Enter the information you wish to add to Old and New London: Temple Bar:
Please prove that you are a human by typing the text that you see in the picture below.
CAPTCHA Image
Refresh Image
You can completely dispense with this CAPTCHA palava by logging onto our Facebook app.
Contribution type:
 

If you authorise our The Undeground Map Facebook app by clicking the Facebook logo at the top right of the screen, you can add stories, photos and more to this location.
Note that the Undeground Map Facebook app does not post to Facebook on your behalf.
LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 15 Jul 2018 13:30 GMT   
IP:
3:1:2823
Post by LDNnews: Chancery Lane
Andrew Griffiths: Minister resigns over 'depraved' sex texts to barmaid and her friend
A Government minister has quit after reportedly sending "depraved" messages to two female constituents.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/andrew-griffiths-minister-resigns-over-depraved-texts-to-barmaid-and-her-friend-a3887516.html

LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 15 Jul 2018 11:20 GMT   
IP:
3:2:2823
Post by LDNnews: St Pauls
Police appeal to find missing 30-year-old woman from Greenwich

Police have released an image of a missing woman from Greenwich they are trying to locate.


http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/news/16354867.greenwich-police-appeal-to-public-to-find-missing-woman/?ref=rss

LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 15 Jul 2018 11:20 GMT   
IP:
3:3:2823
Post by LDNnews: Southwark
PHOTOS AND VIDEO: You should be green with envy if you missed the Muppets taking The O2

As Donald Trump has been sparking mass protests in London this week, some other famous and more welcome visitors from America have also been in town.


http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/leisure/theatre/16355076.review-the-muppets-take-the-o2-live-show-in-london/?ref=rss

LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 15 Jul 2018 11:00 GMT   
IP:
3:4:2823
Post by LDNnews: Blackfriars



https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/west-ham-announce-clubrecord-signing-felipe-anderson-on-fouryear-deal-a3887451.html

LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 15 Jul 2018 01:00 GMT   
IP:
3:5:2823
Post by LDNnews: Russell Square

London Mayor Sadiq Khan is to blame for terror attacks,Trump argues


The London Mayor questioned why he was being ’singled out’ after Mr Trump renewed their feud in bombshell comments during his UK visit.


http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5949025/London-Mayor-Sadiq-Khan-blame-terror-attacks-city-Trump-argues.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490
’ target=’new’>
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5949025/London-Mayor-Sadiq-Khan-blame-terror-attacks-city-Trump-argues.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490


LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 14 Jul 2018 23:00 GMT   
IP:
3:6:2823
Post by LDNnews: Borough
Eden Hazard: Chelsea forward says it ’might be time for something different’
Chelsea forward Eden Hazard says "it might be time to discover something different" after six "wonderful years" at the club.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44832975

LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 14 Jul 2018 23:00 GMT   
IP:
3:7:2823
Post by LDNnews: Barbican
Large grass fire tackled near Heathrow Airport
Fifteen fire engines were sent to tackle the blaze, over five hectares of grass and scrubland.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-44834845

LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 14 Jul 2018 15:27 GMT   
IP:
3:8:2823
Post by LDNnews: Aldwych
Devereux Court, WC2R
Devereux Court lies on the south side of the Strand, opposite the Law Courts.

http://www.theundergroundmap.com/article.html?id=16601

LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 14 Jul 2018 12:40 GMT   
IP:
3:9:2823
Post by LDNnews: Charing Cross
Evening update: Bringing you travel and weather details

Evening all and a very happy Friday to you. A bit of stormy weather expected tonight and one or two issues on the roads to be mindful of too.


http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/news/16353875.helping-you-to-get-home-on-time/?ref=rss

LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 14 Jul 2018 12:40 GMT   
IP:
3:10:2823
Post by LDNnews: Chancery Lane
Evening update: Weather and travel details

Evening all and a very happy Friday to you. A bit of stormy weather expected tonight and one or two issues on the roads to be mindful of too.


http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/news/16353920.helping-you-to-get-home-on-time/?ref=rss

LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 14 Jul 2018 12:40 GMT   
IP:
3:11:2823
Post by LDNnews: St Pauls
Spotlight on Dementia: How we can fix the care crisis
Earlier this year we launched our report, Dementia - the true cost: Fixing the care crisis. Published in May, the report is based on testimony and evidence from people affected by dementia, social care professionals and dementia lead nurses. The report highlights how people living with dementia are enduring inadequate care and crippling costs.

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/news/16347509.spotlight-on-dementia-how-we-can-fix-the-care-crisis/?ref=rss

LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 14 Jul 2018 12:40 GMT   
IP:
3:12:2823
Post by LDNnews: Southwark



http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/news/16354575.bexley-police-tracing-two-men-after-sidcup-high-street-theft/?ref=rss

LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 14 Jul 2018 12:30 GMT   
IP:
3:13:2823
Post by LDNnews: Blackfriars
Fabian Delph wants to use 'career highlight' World Cup to reach more with England and Manchester City
Fabian Delph wants to use 'career highlight' World Cup to reach more with England and Manchester City

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/worldcup/fabian-delph-wants-to-use-career-highlight-world-cup-to-reach-more-with-england-and-manchester-city-a3887216.html

LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 14 Jul 2018 06:30 GMT   
IP:
3:14:2823
Post by LDNnews: Borough
Pictures: Waterloo Carnival celebrates 15th year
The Waterloo Carnival returned to Lower Marsh on Friday as the annual parade featuring younger and older members of the local community celebrated its 15th year.

http://feeds.london-se1.co.uk/~r/se1-news/~3/X9k4tUgFVq0/9674

LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 14 Jul 2018 05:20 GMT   
IP:
3:15:2823
Post by LDNnews: Russell Square
Walthamstow shooting: Man shot in the leg staggers into east London station crying for help
A young man staggered into train station crying for help after being shot in the leg in front of horrified bystanders.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/walthamstow-shooting-man-shot-in-the-leg-staggers-into-east-london-station-crying-for-help-a3887056.html

VIEW THE CITY OF LONDON AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE CITY OF LONDON AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE CITY OF LONDON AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE CITY OF LONDON AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE CITY OF LONDON AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

City of London

The City of London constituted most of London from its settlement by the Romans in the 1st century AD to the Middle Ages, but the conurbation has since grown far beyond its borders.

As the City's boundaries have remained almost unchanged since the Middle Ages, it is now only a tiny part of the metropolis of Greater London, though it remains a notable part of central London. It holds city status in its own right and is also a separate ceremonial county.

It is widely referred to as 'The City' (often written on maps as City and differentiated from the phrase 'the city of London') or 'the Square Mile' as it is 1.12 square miles in area. These terms are also often used as metonyms for the United Kingdom's financial services industry, which continues a notable history of being largely based in the City.

The local authority for the City, the City of London Corporation, is unique in the UK and has some unusual responsibilities for a local council, such as being the police authority. It also has responsibilities and ownerships beyond the City's boundaries. The Corporation is headed by the Lord Mayor of the City of London, an office separate from (and much older than) the Mayor of London.

The City is a major business and financial centre, ranking as the world's leading centre of global finance. Throughout the 19th century, the City was the world's primary business centre, and continues to be a major meeting point for businesses.

The City had a resident population of about 7000 in 2011 but over 300,000 people commute to it and work there, mainly in the financial services sector. The legal profession forms a major component of the northern and western sides of the City - especially in the Temple and Chancery Lane areas where the Inns of Court are located, of which two—Inner Temple and Middle Temple - fall within the City of London boundary.


LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
1a Children’s Centre:   This is a children’s centre.
Aldgate:   Aldgate was a gateway through London Wall from the City of London to Whitechapel and the East End.
Aldgate Pump:   Aldgate Pump is a historic water pump, located at the junction where Aldgate meets Fenchurch Street and Leadenhall Street.
Aldwych:   Aldwych is a closed station on the London Underground; formerly a branch line of the Piccadilly Line.
All Hallows Bread Street:   All Hallows Bread Street was a parish church in the Bread Street ward of the City of London.
All Hallows Honey Lane:   All Hallows, Honey Lane was parish church in the City of London.
Alsatia:   Alsatia was the name given to an area lying north of the River Thames covered by the Whitefriars monastery.
Bank:   Bank station, interlinked with Monument station, forms a complex public transport hub spanning the length of King William Street in the City of London.
Bank of England:   The Bank of England is the central bank of the United Kingdom. Sometimes known as the Old Lady of Threadneedle Street, the Bank was founded in 1694, nationalised on 1 March 1946, and in 1997 gained operational independence to set monetary policy.
Barbican:   The Barbican is a residential estate built during the 1960s and the 1970s in the City of London.
Bevis Marks Synagogue:   Bevis Marks Synagogue is the oldest synagogue in the United Kingdom.
Blackfriars:   Blackfriars station was opened on 30 May 1870 by the Metropolitan District Railway (MDR; now the District and Circle lines) as the railway's new eastern terminus when the line was extended from Westminster. The construction of the new section of the MDR was planned in conjunction with the building of the Victoria Embankment and was achieved by the cut and cover method of roofing over a shallow trench.
Broad Street:   Broad Street railway station, next door to Liverpool Street station, opened in 1865 and closed in 1986.
Cannon Street:   Cannon Street, in the City of London, runs roughly parallel with the River Thames, about 250 metres north of it.
Central School of Ballet:   Central School of Ballet is a classical ballet school based in London, with students from countries all over the world.
Chancery Lane:   Chancery Lane originated as a 'new lane' created by the Knights Templar from their original 'old Temple' on the site of the present Southampton Buildings on Holborn, in order access to their newly acquired property to the south of Fleet Street (the present Temple) sometime before 1161.
Christopher Hatton Primary School:   Community school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
City of London:   The City of London constituted most of London from its settlement by the Romans in the 1st century AD to the Middle Ages, but the conurbation has since grown far beyond its borders.
City of London School:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 10 and 18.
City Temple:   The City Temple is a Nonconformist church on Holborn Viaduct.
Coin Street Family & Children’s Centre:   This is a children’s centre.
Courtauld Institute of Art:   The Courtauld Institute of Art is a self-governing college of the University of London specialising in the study of the history of art.
Courtauld Institute of Art:   Higher education institutions
David Game College:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 13 and 22. Admissions policy: Non-selective.
DLD College London:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 14 and 19.
Ely Place, EC1N:   Ely Place is a gated road at the southern tip of the London Borough of Camden.
Exmouth Market:   Exmouth Market is an outdoor street market of 32 stalls.
Farringdon:   Farringdon station - the terminus for the very first underground railway in 1863 - is a London Underground and National Rail station in Clerkenwell, just north of the City of London in the London Borough of Islington. It will change significantly when it becomes an important interchange station between the two largest transport infrastructure programmes currently under way in London, the Thameslink Programme and Crossrail, both of which are scheduled for completion in 2018.
Fenchurch Street:   Fenchurch Street railway station is a central London railway terminus in the southeastern corner of the City of London. It is one of the smallest railway termini in London but in terms of platforms, one of the most intensively operated.
Fleet Market:   The Fleet Market was a market erected in 1736 on the newly culverted River Fleet.
Great Conduit:   The Great Conduit was a man-made underground channel which brought drinking water from the Tyburn to Cheapside in the City.
Great Synagogue of London:   The Great Synagogue of London was, for centuries, the centre of Ashkenazi synagogue and Jewish life in London. It was destroyed during World War II, in the Blitz.
Guildhall Art Gallery:   The Guildhall Art Gallery houses the art collection of the City of London and has the ruins of London's Roman Amphitheatre in its basement.
Guildhall School of Music and Drama:   Higher education institutions
Half Moon Court, EC1A:   Halfmoon Court is the southern most of five passages leading eastward from Kinghorn Street.
Hicks Hall:   Hicks Hall (1611 - 1778) was a building in St John Street, Clerkenwell, London.
Hole In the Wall:   A local institution, and much the same for years, The Hole In The Wall is actually quite a large hole in a wall, being situated in railway arches in front of Waterloo Station. It has been a watering hole of choice for commuters for many a year.
Hospital of St Thomas of Acre:   The Hospital of St Thomas of Acre was the medieval London headquarters of the Knights of Saint Thomas.
Hugh Myddelton Primary School:   Community school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11. Admissions policy: Non-selective.
Inner Temple Gardens:   
Italia Conti Academy of Theatre Arts:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 10 and 16. Admissions policy: Non-selective.
Jubilee Gardens:   
King’s College London:   Higher education institutions
Lincoln’s Inn Fields:   
Lisle’s Tennis Court:   Lisle’s Tennis Court was a building off Portugal Street in Lincoln’s Inn Fields in London.
Liverpool Street:   Liverpool Street station is a mainline railway station and connected London Underground station in the north eastern corner of the City of London.
London (1926 and 2013):   In 1926 Claude Friese-Greene shot some of the first-ever colour film footage around London. 87 years later, in 2013, Simon Smith did the same and shot for shot, recreated Friese-Greene's film.
London (1926):   In 1926 Claude Friese-Greene shot some of the first-ever colour film footage around London, capturing everyday life in the city with a technique innovated by his father, called Biocolour.
London Metal Exchange:   The London Metal Exchange (LME) is the futures exchange with the world’s largest market in options and futures contracts on base and other metals.
London Nautical School:   Foundation school (Secondary) which accepts students between the ages of 11 and 18. Admissions policy: Comprehensive (secondary).
London School of Economics and Political Science:   Higher education institutions
Maison Novelli:   Maison Novelli was a restaurant in Clerkenwell, Central London, located opposite the Old Session House.
Mansion House:   Mansion House is a London Underground station in the City of London, near Mansion House (although Bank station is actually closer to that).
Mansion House:   Mansion House is the official residence of the Lord Mayor of the City of London.
Mermaid Tavern:   The Mermaid Tavern was a notable tavern during the Elizabethan era.
Middlesex Sessions House:   The Former Middlesex Session(s) House or the Old Sessions House is a large building on Clerkenwell Green.
Monument:   Monument station is interlinked with nearby Bank station with London Underground and Docklands Light Railway stations that form a public transport complex spanning the length of King William Street in the City of London.
Monument to the Great Fire of London:   The 'Monument to the Great Fire of London', commemorates the 1666 inferno.
Moorgate:   Moorgate was a postern in the London Wall originally built by the Romans.
Necropolis Station:   The London Necropolis Railway was opened in 1854 as a reaction to severe overcrowding in London’s existing graveyards and cemeteries.
Oasis Academy Johanna:   Academy converter (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Old Vic:   The Old Vic, one of the most reknowned theatres in London, was established in 1818 as the Royal Coburg Theatre.
Petticoat Lane Market:   Petticoat Lane Market is a fashion and clothing market in the East End.
Portsoken:   Portsoken is one of 25 wards in the City of London, each electing an alderman to the Court of Aldermen and commoners (the City equivalent of a councillor) elected to the Court of Common Council of the City of London Corporation.
Postman's Park:   One of the largest parks in the City of London, Postman's Park is a memorial to ordinary people who died saving the lives of others and might otherwise have been forgotten,
Prior Weston Primary School and Children’s Centre:   Community school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Showing every photo/image so far featured, EC1N:   Holborn Circus is a junction of five highways in the City of London, on the boundary between Holborn, Hatton Garden and Smithfield.
Smithfield, London:   Smithfield is a locality in the ward of Farringdon Without situated at the City of London’s northwest in central London, England.
Spa Fields Park:   
St Alban’s Church of England Primary School:   Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
St Andrew, Holborn:   The Church of St Andrew, Holborn stands within the Ward of Farringdon Without.
St Augustine Papey:   St Augustine Papey was a mediaeval church in the City of London situated just south of London Wall.
St Bartholomew’s Hospital:   St Bartholomew’s Hospital, also known simply as Barts and later more formally as The Royal Hospital of St Bartholomew, is a hospital located at Smithfield in the City of London and founded in 1123.
St Benet Sherehog:   St Benet Sherehog was a medieval parish church built before the year 1111 in Cordwainer Ward, in what was then the wool-dealing district.
St Botolph’s:   St. Botolph’s without Aldgate, located on Aldgate High Street, has existed for over a thousand years.
St Etheldreda’s Church:   St Etheldreda’s Church is in Ely Place, off Charterhouse Street in Holborn, London.
St George the Martyr Church of England Primary School:   Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
St James Garlickhythe:   James Garlickhythe is a Church of England parish church in Vintry ward of the City of London, nicknamed "˜Wren’s lantern" owing to its profusion of windows.
St John the Evangelist Friday Street:   St John the Evangelist Friday Street was a church in Bread Street Ward of the City of London.
St John’s Gate, Clerkenwell:   St John’s Gate is one of the few tangible remains from Clerkenwell’s monastic past; it was built in 1504 by Prior Thomas Docwra as the south entrance to the inner precinct of Clerkenwell Priory, the priory of the Knights of Saint John - the Knights Hospitallers.
St Katharine Cree:   St Katharine Cree is a Church of England church on the north side of Leadenhall Street near Leadenhall Market.
St Magnus-the-Martyr:   St Magnus the Martyr church is dedicated to St Magnus the Martyr, earl of Orkney, who died on 16 April 1116.
St Martin Pomary:   St Martin Pomeroy was a parish church in the Cheap ward of the City of London.
St Mary Aldermary:   The Guild Church of St Mary Aldermary is an Anglican church located in Watling Street at the junction with Bow Lane, in the City of London.
St Mary Colechurch:   St Mary Colechurch was a parish church in the City of London destroyed in the Great Fire of London in 1666 and not rebuilt.
St Mary Magdalen Old Fish Street:   Mary Magdalen Old Fish Street was a church in Castle Baynard ward of the City of London, located on the corner of Old Fish Street and Old Change, on land now covered by post-War development.
St Mary Mounthaw:   St Mary Mounthaw or Mounthaut was a parish church in Old Fish Street Hill.
St Mary-le-Bow:   St Mary-le-Bow is an historic church rebuilt after the Great Fire of 1666 by Sir Christopher Wren. According to tradition a true Cockney must be born within earshot of the sound of Bow Bells.
St Michael Queenhithe:   St. Michael Queenhithe was a church in the City of London located in what is now Upper Thames Street.
St Mildred, Bread Street:   The church of St Mildred, Bread Street, stood on the east side of Bread Street in the Bread Street Ward of the City of London.
St Nicholas Cole Abbey:   St. Nicholas Cole Abbey is a church in the City of London located on what is now Queen Victoria Street.
St Paul’s Cathedral School:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 4 and 13.
St Paul's:   St Paul's is a London Underground station located in the City of London financial district which takes its name from the nearby St Paul's Cathedral.
St Paul's Cathedral:   For more than 1400 years, a cathedral dedicated to St Paul has stood at the highest point in the City.
St Peter, Westcheap:   St Peter, Westcheap, sometimes known simply as ’St Peter Cheap’, was a parish church in the City of London.
St Peter’s Italian Church:   St. Peter’s Italian Church is a Basilica-style church located in Holborn.
St Thomas the Apostle:   St Thomas the Apostle was a parish church in Knightrider Street in the City of London.
St. Mary Magdalen, Milk Street:   St. Mary Magdalen, Milk Street, was a parish church in the City of London, England. It was destroyed in the Great Fire of London in 1666 and not rebuilt.
Staple Inn:   Staple Inn is London’s only surviving sixteenth-century domestic building, situated on the south side of High Holborn.
Steelyard:   The Steelyard was the main trading base (kontor) of the Hanseatic League in London during 15th and 16th centuries.
Temple:   Temple is a London Underground station in the City of Westminster, on the Victoria Embankment. It is the nearest tube station for King's College London and the London School of Economics.
Temple Bar:   Temple Bar is the point in London where Fleet Street, City of London, becomes the Strand, Westminster, and where the City of London traditionally erected a barrier to regulate trade into the city.
Temple of Mithras:   The Temple of Mithras, Walbrook is a Roman temple whose ruins were discovered in Walbrook, a street in the City of London, during rebuilding work in 1954.
Tenter Ground:   Tenter Ground harks back to the seventeenth century when this patch of land was surrounded by weavers’ houses and workshops and used to wash and stretch their fabrics on ’tenters’ to dry.
Thavie’s Inn:   Thavie’s Inn was a former Inn of Chancery, associated with Lincoln’s Inn, established at Holborn, near the site of the present side street and office block still known as Thavies Inn Buildings.
University of the Arts London:   Higher education institutions
Waterloo:   London Waterloo station is a central London railway terminus and London Underground complex. The station is one of 18 in Britain owned and operated by Network Rail and is close to the South Bank of the River Thames.
Waterloo Bridge:   Waterloo Bridge is a road and foot traffic bridge crossing the River Thames in London, England between Blackfriars Bridge and Hungerford Bridge.
Young Vic:   The Young Vic is a theatre on the Cut, located near the South Bank.


PHOTOS OF THE AREA
190 Bishopsgate:   A 1912 view of the City.
Blackmoore Street (1902):   This photo depicts Blackmoor Street which was in the Drury Lane slum, with Clare Court on the left
Fleet Street looking east (c.1920):   Fleet Street, tradition home of British national newspapers, is named after the River Fleet, London's largest underground river.
Houghton Street (1906):   A greengrocer's on the corner of Houghton Street and Clare Market (behind The Strand) in 1906 just before demolition.
Ludgate Circus (1873):   This image shows a weary-looking magazine seller stationed at Ludgate Circus.
New Inn Passage (1901):   The corner of Houghton Street and New Inn Passage taken on a 1901 photo just prior to the clearence of the area for the Aldwych-Kingsway improvement scheme.
Strand (1890s):   The Strand in the 1890s
Waterloo Air Terminal (1953):   Officially known as the British European Airways Waterloo Air Terminal, the building was officially opened on the Festival of Britain site on 19 May 1953 by the then Minister of Aviation.
Wych Street:   Wych Street was a street in London, roughly where Australia House now stands on Aldwych. It ran west from the church of St Clement Danes on the Strand to a point towards the southern end of Drury Lane.


NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Abchurch Lane, EC4N · Abchurch Yard, EC4N · Adams Court, EC2N · Addington Street, SE1 · Addle Hill, EC4V · Alaska Street, SE1 · Albion Way, EC1A · Aldermanbury Square, EC2V · Aldermanbury, EC2V · Aldermans Walk, EC2M · Aldersgate Street, EC2Y · Aldgate Bus Garage, EC3N · Aldgate High Street, EC3N · Aldgate, EC3N · Aldwych, WC2B · Aldwych, WC2B · All Hallows Lane, EC4R · Allhallows Lane, EC4R · Amen Court, EC4M · Andrewes Highwalk, EC2Y · Angel Court, EC2R · Angel Street, EC1A · Apothecary Street, EC4V · Appold Street, EC2A · Aquinas Street, SE1 · Arthur Street, EC4R · Arundel Street, WC2R · Ashentree Court, EC4Y · Atkin Building, WC1R · Attneave Street, EC1R · Austin Friars, EC2N · Australia House, WC2B · Ave Maria Lane, EC4M · Avenue Maria Lane, EC4M · Back Alley, EC3N · Back Hill, EC1R · Backhill, EC1R · Bakers Row, EC1R · Bakers Yard, EC1R · Baldwin Gardens, EC1N · Baldwins Gardens, EC1N · Baldwins Gardens, WC1X · Ball Court, EC3V · Baltic St West, EC1Y · Baltic Street West, EC1Y · Barbican Centre Silk Street, EC2Y · Barbican Highwalks, EC2Y · Barbican, EC2Y · Barge House Street, SE1 · Barons Place, SE1 · Bartholomew Close, EC1A · Bartholomew Lane, EC2N · Bartholomew Passage, EC1A · Bartholomew Place, EC1A · Basinghall Avenue, EC2R · Basinghall Avenue, EC2V · Basinghall Street, EC2V · Bassishaw Highwalk, EC2V · Bastion Highwalk, EC2Y · Baylis Road, SE1 · Bear Alley, EC4A · Bedford Row, WC1R · Beech Street, EC2Y · Bell Inn Yard, EC3V · Bell Wharf Lane, EC4R · Bell Yard, WC2A · Bells Alley, SW6 · Belvedere Road, SE1 · Bengal Court, EC3V · Bevis Marks, EC3A · Billiter Square, EC3M · Birchin Lane, EC3V · Bishop?s Court, EC4M · Bishopsgate Arcade, EC2M · Bishopsgate Churchyard, EC2M · Bishopsgate, EC2M · Bishopsgate, EC2N · Black Friars Lane, EC4V · Black Friars Pier, EC4V · Blackfriars Bridge, EC4V · Blackfriars Lane, EC4V · Blackfriars Underpass, EC4V · Blackfriars Underpass, EC4Y · Bleeding Heart Yard, EC1N · Blomfield Street, EC2M · Bolt Court, EC4A · Botolph Alley, EC3R · Botolph Lane, EC3R · Boundary Row, SE1 · Bouverie Street, EC4Y · Bow Churchyard, EC4M · Bow Lane, EC4M · Bowlin, EC1R · Bowling Green Lane, EC1R · Brad Street, SE1 · Brandon Mews, EC2Y · Bread Street, EC4M · Breams Buildings, EC4A · Brewers Hall Garden, EC2V · Brewers Hall Gardens, EC2V · Brick Court, EC4Y · Bride Court, EC4Y · Bride Lane, EC4Y · Bridewell Place, EC4V · Bridge Walk, SE8 · Bridgewater Square, EC2Y · Broad Street Place, EC2M · Broadgate Circle, EC2M · Broadgate, EC2M · Broadwall, SE1 · Broken Wharf, EC4V · Brooke Street, EC1N · Brownlow Mews, WC1N · Brushfield Street, EC2M · Bryer Court, EC2Y · Bucklersbury House Walbrook, EC4N · Bucklersbury, EC4N · Budge Row, EC4N · Bull Inn Court, WC2R · Bulls Head Passage, EC3V · Burgon Street, EC4V · Burrows Mews, SE1 · Bury Street, EC3A · Bush Lane, EC4R · Byward Street, EC3R · Calthorpe Street, WC1X · Camomile Street, EC3A · Cannon Bridge, EC4R · Cannon Street, EC4M · Cannon Street, EC4N · Cannon Street, EC4R · Capel Court, EC2R · Carey Lane, EC2V · Carey Street, WC2A · Carlisle Avenue, EC3N · Carmelite Street, EC4Y · Carter Lane, EC4M · Carter Lane, EC4V · Castle Court, EC3V · Catherine Griffiths Court, EC1R · Cavendish Court, EC3A · Central Markets, EC1A · Chancery Lane, EC4A · Chancery Lane, WC2A · Change Alley, EC3V · Charles Rowan House, WC1X · Chartered Accountants Hall, EC2R · Charterhouse Street, EC1A · Charterhouse Street, EC1N · Cheapside, EC2V · Cheapside, N22 · Chicheley Street, SE1 · Chichester Rents, WC2A · Christopher Street, EC2A · Church Entry, EC4V · City North, N4 · Clare Market, WC2A · Clement’s Inn, WC2R · Clements Inn, WC2A · Clements Lane, EC4N · Clerkenwell Close, EC1R · Clerkenwell Green, EC1R · Clerkenwell Greennorth Holborn, EC1R · Clerkenwell Road, EC1N · Clerkenwell Road, EC1R · Cliffords Inn Passage, EC4A · Cliffords Inn, EC4A · Cloak Lane, EC4R · Cloth Court, EC1A · Cloth Fair, EC1A · Cloth Street, EC1A · Clothworkers Hall, EC3R · Cockpit Yard, WC1N · Coin Street, SE1 · Coldbath Square, EC1R · Coleman Street, EC2R · Coleman Street, EC2V · College Hill, EC4R · College Street, EC4R · Colombo Street, SE1 · Concert Hall Approach, SE1 · Cooper?s Row, EC3N · Coopers Row, EC3N · Copthall Avenue, EC2N · Copthall Avenue, EC2R · Coral Street, SE1 · Corbet Court, EC3V · Cornhill, EC3V · Cornwall Road, SE1 · Cornwell House, EC1R · Corporation Row, EC1R · Cousin Lane, EC4R · Crane Court, EC4A · Crawford Passage, EC1R · Creechurch Lane, EC3A · Creed Court, EC4M · Creed Lane, EC4V · Cripplegate Street, EC1Y · Crosswall, EC3N · Crown Court, EC2V · Crown Office Row, EC4Y · Crown Place, EC2A · Crutched Friars, EC3N · Cubitt Street, WC1X · Cullum Street, EC3M · Cursitor Street, EC4A · Cursitor Street, W1 · Custom House Walkway, EC3R · Cutler Street, E1 · Cutler Street, EC3A · Cutlers Gardens Arcade, EC2M · Dane Street, WC1R · Dark Horse Walk, EC3R · Deans Court, EC4V · Devereux Court, WC2R · Devonshire Row, EC2M · Devonshire Square, E1 · Devonshire Square, EC2M · Distaff Lane, EC4V · Doctor Johnsons Buildings, EC4Y · Dombey Street, WC1N · Dominion Street, EC2M · Doon Street, SE1 · Dorset Rise, EC4Y · Doughty Mews, WC1N · Doughty Street, WC1N · Dowgate Hill, EC4R · Drive Johnsons Buildings, EC4Y · Duchy Street, SE1 · Dukes Place, EC3A · Dukes Place, EC3A · Dukes Place, EC3N · Dunster Court, EC3R · Dyer’s Buildings, EC1N · Dyers Buildings, EC1N · Eagle Street, WC1R · Earl Street, EC2A · East Central Markets, EC1A · East Harding Street, EC4A · East Market Building, EC1A · East Market, EC1A · East Passage, EC1A · East Poultrey Avenue, EC1A · East Poultry Avenue, EC1A · Eastcheap, EC3M · Easton Street, WC1X · Eldon Street, EC2M · Elm Street, WC1X · Ely Court, EC1N · Ely Place, EC1N · Embankment, SW6 · Emerald Street, WC1N · Enterprise House, SE1 · Essex Court, EC4Y · Essex Street, WC2R · Exchange Arcade, EC2M · Exchange Court, WC2R · Exchange Place, EC2M · Exchange Square, EC2A · Exchange Square, EC2M · Exchange Steps, EC3V · Exmouth Market, EC1R · Exton Street, SE1 · Eyre St Hill, EC1R · Eyre Street Hill, EC1R · Falcon Court, EC4Y · Fann Street, EC1Y · Fann Street, EC2Y · Farringdon Lane, EC1R · Farringdon Road, EC1A · Farringdon Road, EC1M · Farringdon Road, EC1R · Farringdon Road, EC4A · Farringdon Road, EC4P · Farringdon Street, EC1A · Farringdon Street, EC1A · Farringdon Street, EC4M · Fenchurch Avenue, EC3M · Fenchurch Buildings, EC3M · Fenchurch Place, EC3M · Fenchurch Street, EC3M · Ferroners House Shaftesbury Place, EC2Y · Fetter Lane, EC4A · Field Court, WC1R · Finch Lane, EC3V · Finsbury Avenue, EC2M · Finsbury Circus Gardens, EC2M · Finsbury Circus, EC2M · Finsbury Estate, EC1R · Fish St Hill, EC3R · Fish Street Hill, EC3R · Fleet Place, EC4M · Fleet Square, WC1X · Fleet Street, EC4A · Fleet Street, EC4Y · Fore Street Avenue, EC2Y · Fore Street, EC2Y · Fortune Street, EC1Y · Foster Lane, EC2V · Founders Court, EC2R · Fountain Court, EC4Y · Frazier Street, SE1 · Fredericks Place, EC2R · French Ordinary Court, EC3M · Friday Street, EC4M · Friday Street, EC4V · Fulwood Place, WC1V · Furnival Street, EC4A · Gabriels Wharf, SE1 · Garden Court, EC4Y · Garlick Hill, EC4V · Garrett Street, EC1Y · Gate Street, WC2A · George Yard, EC3V · Gilbert Bridge, EC2Y · Giltspur Street, EC1A · Glasshouse Yard, EC1A · Gloucester Court, EC3R · Gloucester Way, EC1R · Godliman Street, EC4V · Golden Lane Estate, EC1Y · Golden Lane, EC1Y · Golden Lane, EC2Y · Goldsmith Street, EC2V · Goodmans Yard, E1 · Goring Street, EC3A · Goswell Road, EC1Y · Gough Square, EC4A · Gough Street, WC1X · Gracechurch Street, EC3V · Grand Avenue, EC1A · Grant?s Quay Wharf, EC3R · Granville Square, WC1X · Granville Street, WC1X · Gravel Lane, E1 · Gravel Street, EC1N · Gray Street, SE1 · Grays Inn Place, WC1R · Grays Inn Road, N1 · Grays Inn Road, WC1X · Grays Inn Square Chambers, WC1R · Grays Inn Square, WC1R · Grays Inn, WC1X · Great James Street, WC1N · Great New Street, EC4A · Great St Helen’s, EC3A · Great St Helens, EC3A · Great St Thomas Apostle, EC4V · Great St Thomas, EC4V · Great Swan Alley, EC2R · Great Tower Street, EC3R · Great Turnstile, WC1V · Great Winchester Street, EC2N · Greet Street, SE1 · Gresham Street, EC2V · Greville St Hatton Garden, EC1N · Greville Street, EC1N · Grocers? Hall Court, EC2R · Groveland Court, EC4M · Guildhall Buildings, EC2V · Guildhall Yard, EC2V · Gunpowder Square, EC4A · Gutter Lane, EC2V · Hand Court, WC1V · Hanseatic Walk, EC4R · Hanseatic Walk, SE1 · Harcourt Buildings, EC4Y · Hardwick Street, EC1R · Hardwicke Building, WC2A · Hare Court, EC4Y · Hare Place, EC4Y · Harp Lane, EC3R · Harrow Place, E1 · Hart Street, EC3R · Hat and Mitre Court, EC1M · Hatch End Millenium Bridge, HA5 · Hatfields, SE1 · Hatton Garden, EC1N · Hatton Place, EC1N · Hatton Square, EC1N · Hatton Wall, EC1N · Haydon Street, E1 · Hayne Street, EC1A · Hearn Street, EC2A · Heathcote Street, WC1N · Heneage Lane, EC3A · Herbal Hill, EC1R · Heton Gardens, NW4 · High Holborn, WC1V · High Timber Street, EC4V · Hind Court, EC4A · Holborn Viaduct, EC1A · Holborn, EC1N · Holborn, WC1V · Holsworthy Square, WC1X · Honey Lane, EC2V · Hood Court, EC4Y · Hosier Lane, EC1A · Houghton Square, SW9 · Houghton Street, WC2A · Houghton Street, WC2B · Houndsditch, EC3A · Idol Lane, EC3R · India Street, EC3N · Inner Temple Lane, EC4Y · Ireland Yard, EC4V · Ironmonger Lane, EC2V · Ironmongerrial Lane, EC2V · Ironmongers Hall Shaftesbury Place, EC2Y · Isabella Street, SE1 · Jewry Street, EC3N · Joan Street, SE1 · Jockeys Fields, WC1R · Johanna Street, SE1 · John Carpenter Street, EC4Y · John Street, WC1N · John’s Mews, WC1N · Johns Mews, WC1N · Joseph Close, N4 · Joseph Trotter Close, EC1R · Kean Street, WC2B · King Edward Street, EC1A · King Street, EC2V · King William Street, EC4N · King William Street, EC4R · King’s Arms Yard, EC2R · King?s Bench Walk, EC4Y · Kinghorn Street, EC1A · Kings Arms Yard, EC2R · Kings Bench Walk, EC4Y · Kings Mews, WC1N · Kingsway Place, EC1R · Kingsway, WC2A · Kingsway, WC2B · Kirby Street, EC1N · Kirk Street, WC1N · Knightrider Court, EC4V · Knightrider Street, EC4V · Lamb Building, EC4Y · Lamb’s Conduit Passage, WC1R · Lamb’s Conduit Street, WC1N · Lamb’s Mews, N1 · Lambeth Hill, EC4V · Lambs Conduit Passage, WC1R · Lambs Conduit Street, WC1N · Lancaster Place, WC2E · Langton Close, WC1X · Lauderdale Tower, EC2Y · Launcelot Street, SE1 · Laurence Pountney Hill, EC4R · Laurence Pountney Lane, EC4N · Laurence Pountney Lane, EC4R · Lawrence Lane, EC2V · Laystall Street, EC1R · Leadenhall Market, EC3M · Leadenhall Market, EC3V · Leadenhall Place, EC3M · Leadenhall Place, EC3V · Leadenhall Street, EC3A · Leadenhall Street, EC3M · Leadenhall Street, EC3N · Leadenhall Street, EC3V · Leake Street, SE1 · Leather Lane, EC1N · Lime Street, EC3M · Limeburner Lane, EC4M · Lincoln’s Inn Fields, WC2A · Lincolns Inn Fields, WC2A · Lindsey Street, EC1A · Little Britain, EC1A · Little Britain, EC1M · Little Essex Street, WC2R · Little New Street, EC4A · Little Trinity Lane, EC4V · Liverpool St, EC2M · Liverpool Street, EC2M · Lloyd Baker Street, WC1X · Lloyd?s Avenue, EC3N · Lloyds Avenue, EC3N · Lombard Court, EC3V · Lombard Street, EC3V · London Central Markets, EC1A · London Silver Vaults, WC2A · London Street, EC3R · London Wall Buildings, EC2M · London Wall, EC1A · London Wall, EC2M · London Wall, EC2R · London Wall, EC2V · London Wall, EC2Y · Long Lane, EC1A · Long Yard, WC1N · Lothbury, EC2R · Lovat Lane, EC3R · Love Lane, EC2V · Lower Marsh, SE1 · Lower Thames Street, EC3R · Ludgate Broadway, EC4V · Ludgate Circus, EC4M · Ludgate Hill, EC4M · Ludgate Square, EC4M · Maltravers Street, WC2R · Mansell Street, E1 · Mansion House Place, EC4N · Manson House Place, EC4N · Margery Street, WC1X · Mark Lane, EC3R · Martin Lane, EC4R · Masons Avenue, EC2V · Masters House Temple Church, EC4Y · Mecklenburgh Place, WC1N · Mecklenburgh Square, WC1N · Mecklenburgh Street, WC1N · Mecklenburgh Street, WC1X · Melbourne Place, WC2B · Mepham Street, SE1 · Meredith Street, EC1R · Meymott Street, SE1 · Middle Street, EC1A · Middle Temple Lane, EC4Y · Middlesex Street, E1 · Middlesex Street, EC3A · Milford Lane, WC2R · Milk Street, EC2V · Millennium Bridge, EC4V · Millennium Bridge, SE1 · Miller Walk, SE1 · Millman Place, WC1N · Millman Street, WC1N · Milroy Walk, SE1 · Milton Court, EC2Y · Milton Street, EC2Y · Mincing Lane, EC3R · Minories, EC3N · Minories, EC3N · Minster Court, EC3R · Minster Pavement, EC3R · Minsters Pavement, EC3A · Mitre Avenue, E17 · Mitre Court Buildings, EC4Y · Mitre Court, EC2V · Mitre Road, SE1 · Mitre Square, EC3A · Mitre Street, EC3A · Monkwell Square, EC2Y · Montreal Place, WC2R · Monument Gdns, SE13 · Monument Street, EC3R · Moorfields Highwalk, EC2Y · Moorfields, EC2Y · Moorgate Place, EC2R · Moorgate, EC2M · Moorgate, EC2R · Mount Pleasant, WC1X · Mount Plesant, WC1X · Munster Court, SW6 · Murphy Street, SE1 · Muscovy Street, EC3R · Myddelton Street, EC1R · New Bridge Street, EC4V · New Broad Street, EC2M · New Change, EC4M · New Court, EC4Y · New Fetter Lane, EC1N · New Fetter Lane, EC4A · New House, EC1N · New London Street, EC3R · New Square Passage, WC2A · New Square, WC2A · New St Square, EC4A · New Street Square, EC4A · New Street, EC2M · New Union Street, EC2Y · Newbury Street, EC1A · Newgate Street, EC1A · Newgate Street, EC2V · Newington Close, EC1R · Nicholas Lane, EC3V · Nicholas Lane, EC4N · Noble Street, EC2V · North East Wing Bush House, WC2B · North Mews, WC1N · North West Wing Bush House, WC2B · Northampton Road, EC1R · Northington Street, WC1N · Norton Folgate, E1 · Norton Folgate, EC2M · Norwich Street, EC4A · Oat Lane, EC2V · Octagon Arcade, EC2M · Old Bailey, EC1A · Old Bailey, EC4M · Old Billingsgate Walk, EC3R · Old Broad Street, EC2M · Old Broad Street, EC2N · Old Broad Street, EC2R · Old Buildings, WC2A · Old Change Court, EC4M · Old Jewry, EC2R · Old Mitre Court, EC4Y · Old Seacoal Lane, EC4M · Old Square, WC2A · One Ropemaker Street, EC2Y · Outer Temple, EC4Y · Oxo Tower Wharf Barge House Street, SE1 · Oystergate Walk, EC4R · Pakenham Street, WC1X · Pancras Lane, EC4N · Paper Buildings Temple, EC4Y · Paper Buildings, EC4Y · Paris Garden, SE1 · Parliament Court, E1 · Paternoster Row, EC4M · Paternoster Square, EC4M · Paul?s Walk, EC4V · Pauls Walk, EC4V · Paul’s Walk, EC4V · Pear Place, SE1 · Pear Tree Court, EC1R · Pemberton Row, EC4A · Pepys Street, EC3N · Philpot Lane, EC3M · Phoenix Place, EC3N · Phoenix Place, WC1X · Pilgrim Street, EC4V · Pindar Street, EC2A · Pine Street, EC1R · Plantation Lane, EC3R · Playhouse Yard, EC4V · Pleydell Street, EC4Y · Plough Court, EC3V · Plough Place, EC4A · Ploughs Place, EC4A · Plowden Buildings, EC4Y · Plumtree Court, EC4A · Pontypool Place, SE1 · Pooles Buildings, EC1R · Popes Head Alley, EC3V · Poppins Court, EC4A · Portpool Lane, EC1N · Portsmouth Street, WC2A · Portugal Street, WC2A · Poultry, EC2R · Priest?s Court, EC2V · Primrose Street, EC2A · Princes Street, EC2R · Princes Street, EC3V · Princeton Street, WC1R · Priory Court, EC4V · Pudding Lane, EC3R · Pudding Lane, IG6 · Puddle Dock, EC4V · Pump Court, EC4Y · Quality Court, WC2A · Queen Isabella Way, EC1A · Queen St Place, EC4R · Queen Street Place, EC4R · Queen Street, EC4N · Queen Street, EC4R · Queen Victoria Street, EC2R · Queen Victoria Street, EC4N · Queen Victoria Street, EC4V · Queenhithe, EC4V · Ray Street, EC1R · Raymond Buildings, WC1R · Red Lion Court, EC4A · Red Lion Square, WC1R · Red Lion Street, WC1R · Regent Square, WC1N · Rennie Street, SE1 · Richbell Place, WC1N · River Terrace, W6 · Riverside Walk, SE1 · Roger Street, WC1N · Rolls Buildings, WC2A · Rolls Passage, EC4A · Rood Lane, EC3M · Rose Court, E1 · Rose Street, EC4M · Rosebery Avenue, EC1 · Rosebery Avenue, EC1R · Rosebery Court, EC1R · Rosebery House, EC1R · Rosebery Square, EC1R · Rosoman Place, EC1R · Rosoman Street, EC1R · Roupell Street, SE1 · Royal Court, EC3V · Royal Exchange Avenue, EC3V · Royal Exchange Buildings, EC3V · Royal Exchange Steps, EC3V · Royal Exchange, EC3V · Rugby Chambers, WC1N · Rugby Street, WC1N · Russia Row, EC2V · Saffron Hill, EC1N · Saint Alphage Highwalk, EC2Y · Saint Andrew Street, EC4A · Saint Andrew’s Hill, EC4V · Saint Bride Street, EC4A · Saint Cross Street, EC1N · Saint Dunstan?s Hill, EC3R · Saint Giles? Terrace, EC2Y · Saint Mary Axe, EC3A · Salisbury Court, EC4Y · Salisbury House Shops, EC2M · Salisbury Square, EC4Y · Samford Street, NW8 · Sandell Street, SE1 · Sandland Street, WC1R · Sandy’s Row, E1 · Sandys Row, E1 · Sans Walk, EC1R · Sans Works, EC1R · Saracen?s Head Yard, EC3N · Sardinia House, WC2A · Sardinia Street, WC2A · Savage Gardens, EC3N · Scotswood Street, EC1R · Secker Street, SE1 · Seddon Highwalk, EC2Y · Seething Lane, EC3N · Serjeants Inn, EC4Y · Serle Street, WC2A · Sheffield Street, WC2A · Ship Tavern Passage, EC3M · Ship Tavern Passage, EC3V · Shoe Lane, EC4A · Short Street, SE1 · Sidmouth Street, WC1X · Silk Street, EC2Y · Silver Vaults, WC2A · Skinner Street, EC1R · Smithfield Street, EC1A · Snow Hill, EC1A · Snowden Street, EC2A · Snowhill, EC1A · South Bank, SE1 · South East Wing Bush House, WC2B · South Place, EC2M · South Square, WC1R · South Square, WC1X · Southampton Buildings, WC1V · Southampton Buildings, WC2A · Southbank Centre Square, SE1 · Southbank, SE9 · Southwark Bridge, EC4R · Southwark Bridge, SE1 · Spafield Street, EC1R · St Alphage Garden, EC2Y · St Alphage Highwalk, EC2Y · St Andrew Street, EC4A · St Andrews Hill, EC4V · St Botolph Street, EC3A · St Bride Street, EC4A · St Brides Avenue, EC4Y · St Clement’s Passage, WC2A · St Clements Lane, WC2A · St Cross Street, EC1M · St Cross Street, EC1N · St Dunstans Hill, EC3R · St Georges Lane, EC3R · St Giles Church St Giles Churchyard, EC2Y · St Helen?s Place, EC3A · St Helens Place, EC3A · St Helen’s Place, EC3A · St James’s Passage, EC3A · St James’s Place, EC3A · St Jamess Walk, EC1R · St Margaret Pattens Church, EC3M · St Martin?s Le Grand, EC2V · St Martins Le Grand, EC1A · St Mary At Hill, EC3R · St Mary Axe, EC3A · St Michaels Alley, EC3V · St Michaels Rectory, EC3V · St Paul?s Church Yard, EC4M · St Paul’s Churchyard, EC4M · St Swithin?s Lane, EC4N · St Swithins Lane, EC4N · St. Botolph Street, EC3A · Stamford Street, SE1 · Stamford, SE1 · Staple Hall, EC3A · Staple Inn Buildings North, WC1V · Staple Inn Buildings, WC1V · Staple Inn Buildings, WC1V · Star Yard, WC2A · Station Approach, SE1 · Stationers Hall Court, EC4M · Stew Lane, EC4V · Stock Exchange Building, EC2N · Stone Buildings, WC2A · Stone House Court, EC3A · Stonecutter Street, EC4A · Stoney Lane, E1 · Strand Lane, WC2R · Strand, EC4A · Strand, WC2B · Suffolk Lane, EC4R · Sugar Quay Walk, EC3R · Summers Street, EC1R · Sun Street Passage, EC2A · Sun Street Passage, EC2M · Sun Street, EC2M · Surrey Street, WC2R · Suthwark Bridge Road, SE1 · Sutton Walk, SE1 · Swan Lane, EC4R · Talbot Court, EC3V · Tallis Street, EC4Y · Tanswell Street, SE1 · Telegraph Street, EC2R · Temple Avenue, EC4Y · Temple Chambers, EC4Y · Temple Gardens, EC4Y · Temple Pier, WC2R · Temple Place, WC2R · The Arcade, EC2M · The Australia Centre, WC2B · The Barbican Centre, EC2Y · The Courtyard, EC3V · The Cut, SE1 · The Edmund J. Safra Fountain Court, WC2R · The Horseshoe Path, WC1B · The Postern, EC2Y · The Press Room Central Criminal Court, EC4M · The Queen’s Walk, WC2R · The Strand, WC2R · The Studio, SE1 · The Tunnel, SE1 · Theed Street, SE1 · Theobald’s Road, WC1R · Theobalds Road, WC1X · Thomas More Highwalk, EC2Y · Threadneedle Street, EC2R · Threadneedle Street, EC3V · Three Barrels Walk, EC4V · Three Cranes Wharf, EC4R · Three Nun Court, EC2V · Throgmorton Avenue, EC2N · Throgmorton Street, EC2N · Tokenhouse Yard, EC2R · Took?s Court, EC4A · Tooks Court, EC4A · Topham Street, EC1R · Tower Place West, EC3R · Tower Place, EC3R · Treasurers Office Inner Temple, EC4Y · Tudor Street, EC4Y · Turnmill Street, EC1M · Tweezer’s Alley, WC2R · Tysoe Street, EC1R · Ufford Street, SE1 · Undershaft, EC2N · Undershaft, EC3A · Undershaft, EC3P · Upper Ground, SE1 · Upper Thames Street, EC4R · Upper Thames Street, EC4V · Valentine Place, SE1 · Verulam Buildings, WC1R · Verulam Street, WC1X · Victoria Avenue, EC2M · Victoria Embankment, EC4Y · Victoria Embankment, SE1 · Victoria Embankment, WC2R · Victoria Yard, E1 · Vine Hill, EC1R · Vine Street, EC3N · Walbrook, EC4N · Wallside, EC2Y · Wardrobe Place, EC4V · Warner Street, EC1R · Warner Yard, EC1R · Warnford Court, EC2N · Warwick Court, WC1R · Warwick Lane, EC4M · Warwick Lane, EC4P · Warwick Square, EC4M · Water Street, WC2R · Watergate, EC4Y · Waterhouse Square, EC1N · Waterloo Bridge, SE1 · Waterloo Bridge, WC2R · Waterloo Centre, SE1 · Waterloo Road, SE1 · Watling Street, EC4M · Watling Street, EC4N · Webber Row, SE1 · Well Court, EC4M · Wells Square, WC1X · West Market Building, EC1A · West Smithfield, EC1A · Whetstone Park, WC2A · White Kennet Street, E1 · White Kennett Street, E1 · White Kennett Street, EC3A · White Lion Court, EC3V · White Lion Hill, EC4V · White Lyon Court, EC2Y · Whitecross Place, EC2M · Whitefriars Street, EC4Y · Whitehouse Apartments, SE1 · Whittington Avenue, EC3A · Whittington Avenue, EC3V · Whittlesey Street, SE1 · Widegate Street, E1 · Willoughby Highwalk, EC2Y · Wilmington Square, WC1X · Wilson Street, EC2A · Wilson Street, EC2M · Windmill Walk, SE1 · Wine Office Court, EC4A · Wood Street, EC2V · Wood Street, EC2Y · Wootton Street, SE1 · Wormwood Street, EC2M · Wormwood Street, EC2N · Wren Street, WC1X · Wrestlers Court, EC3A · Yardley Street, WC1X · York Road Curve, N1C · York Road, SE1 · Yorkshire Grey Roundabout, SE9 · Yorkshire Grey Yard, WC1R ·
Print-friendly version of this page

Links

Old and New London: Volume 1 – The Underground Map
Waterloo
Facebook Page
Holborn
Facebook Page
Temple
Facebook Page
Farringdon
Facebook Page
Embankment
Facebook Page
Chancery Lane
Facebook Page
Southwark
Facebook Page
Blackfriars
Facebook Page
Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
Edith’s Streets
A wander through London, street by street
Londonist
All-encompassing website

Maps


Central London, north east (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Central London, north east.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Cruchley's New Plan of London (1848) FREE DOWNLOAD
Cruchley's New Plan of London Shewing all the new and intended improvements to the Present Time. - Cruchley's Superior Map of London, with references to upwards of 500 Streets, Squares, Public Places & C. improved to 1848: with a compendium of all Place of Public Amusements also shewing the Railways & Stations.
G. F. Cruchley

Cary's New And Accurate Plan of London and Westminster (1818) FREE DOWNLOAD
Cary's map provides a detailed view of London. With print date of 1 January 1818, Cary's map has 27 panels arranged in 3 rows of 9 panels, each measuring approximately 6 1/2 by 10 5/8 inches. The complete map measures 32 1/8 by 59 1/2 inches. Digitising this map has involved aligning the panels into one contiguous map.
John Cary

John Rocque Map of London (1762) FREE DOWNLOAD
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map covers central London at a reduced level of detail compared with his 1745-6 map.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1843) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured.
Chapman and Hall, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1836) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Insets: A view of the Tower from London Bridge -- A view of London from Copenhagen Fields. Includes views of facades of 25 structures "A comparison of the principal buildings of London."
Chapman and Hall, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.