Savile Row is known worldwide for gentlemen’s tailoring.
This street which is the centre for men’s bespoke clothing is named after a woman, Dorothy Savile.
was inherited in 1704 by Dorothy’s future husband, Richard Boyle, 3rd Earl of Burlington and 4th Earl of Cork.
Dorothy Savile, an accomplished artist, married Boyle in 1721.
Savile Row - originally Savile Street - was named after the maiden name of the Duke’s now wife and situated behind Burlington House
as part of the Burlington Estate. It was developed between 1731 and 1735.
Initially, the street was occupied mainly by military officers and their wives; later William Pitt the Younger and Irish-born playwright and MP, Richard Brinsley Sheridan were residents.
Tailors started doing business in the area in the late 18th century; first in Cork Street
, about 1790, then by 1803 in Savile Row itself.