Sheep Lane, E8

Buildings in this area date from the nineteenth century or before

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Fullscreen map
Road · Dalston Kingsland · E8 ·

Sheep Lane is one of the streets of London in the E8 postal area.



Dalston Kingsland

Kingsland railway station was first opened on this site in 1850, but was replaced by Dalston Junction in 1865. The current station was opened in 1983.

Kingsland gets its name from the hunting grounds of a Tudor-era royal residence at Newington Green – "King’s Lands".

It was originally a small roadside settlement centred on the Old North Road near to the junction with Dalston Lane.

In 1672, Kingsland had 28 householders assessed for hearth tax. It expanded in the 18th century along Kingsland Road and by 1724 had five inns. The local parishes lobbied Parliament in 1713 for the right to set up a Turnpike Trust, to pay for the necessary maintenance to the North Road. Gates were installed at Kingsland and Stamford Hill to collect the tolls. Larger scale development began in 1807, and a new estate was created on Lamb Farm, to the south and west of the Dalston Lane junction.

The ’Lock Hospital’ for lepers was founded in 1280 by the City of London, as one of ten located on the main roads from the City. From 1549, the hospital was administered by St Bartholomew’s Hospital, and treated infectious diseases. By 1669, there were six wards for women only since male patients were sent to Southwark. The hospital was rebuilt in 1720, but closed in 1760. At the closure of the hospital, local people petitioned to keep the hospital chapel open. In poor condition, it was demolished in 1846.

Since the opening of Dalston Junction station, the area has become known as Dalston, which was originally further east.
Print-friendly version of this page