Sicilian Avenue, WC1A

Road in/near Holborn, existing between the 1910s and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
3.88.161.108 
Too much info? Click here to declutter the page
12 Bar Club · Abbey Place · Admiral Duncan · Africa House · Aldwych · Aldwych · Aldwych · Alfred Mews · All Bar One · All Bar One · Alsatia · Apartment 58 · Ape and Bird · Archer Street · Arundel Street · Atkin Building · Bainbridge Street · Bainbridge Street · Bar Termini · Be@One · Beaumont Buildings · Bedford Row · Bedford Way · Bell Yard · Bellenden Road Business Centre · Blackmoore Street (1902) · Blocks Cafe · Bloomsbury Square · Bloomsbury Street · Bloomsbury Tavern · Bloomsbury Theatre · Boswell Street · Bourne & Hollingsworth · Brewer Street · Bricklayers Arms · British Museum · British Museum · Brookes Brother Wine Bar · Byng Place · Byron Hamburgers · Callaghans · Calthorpe Arms · Cambridge Circus · Carey Street · Carlisle Arms · Carlisle Walk · Catherine Griffiths Court · Catherine Street · Catton Street · Cella Karaoke Lounge · Central School of Ballet · Chancery Lane · Chancery Lane · Chenies Mews · Circus · City of York · Clare Market · Clare Market · Clement’s Inn · Clerkenwell house · Club 49 · Coach And Horses · Comptons Of Soho · Coptic Street · Corney & Barrow Wine Bars · Cosmo Place · Courtauld Institute of Art · Covent Garden · Craft Beer Company · Cranbourn Street · Crown & Anchor · Crown Court · Dane Street · Darwin Walk · De Hems · Devereux Court · Dog & Duck · Dombey Street · Dominion Theatre · Doughty Street · Drury Lane · Duke Of Argyll · Duke Of Wellington · Dyer’s Buildings · Eagle · Eagle Street · East Harding Street · El Vino Co Ltd · Ely Place · Endell Street · Evelyn Yard · Falcon Court · Falconberg Mews · Farringdon Road · Field Court · Fisher Street · Fitzroy Tavern · Flaxman Court · Flichcroft Street · Foundling Hospital · Friend at Hand · Fulwood Place · Gallery Coffee Shop · Garlic & Shots · Gate Street · George Birkbeck Bar · Golden Lion · Goodge Street · Goslett Yard · Gough Street · Gower Street · Grand Union · Grays Inn Place · Grays Inn Road · Grays Inn Square Chambers · Grays Inn Square · Great Court · Great Russell Street · Great Turnstile · Great Windmill Street · Greek Court · Greek Street · Guilford Street · Hand Court · Hare & Tortoise · Hat & Tun · Hat and Mitre Court · Hatton Garden · Herbal Hill · Herbrand Street · Hercules Pillar · High Holborn · High Holborn · High Holborn · Holborn · Holborn Circus · Holborn · Holborn · Holsworthy Square · Horse and Dolphin Yard · Horse Hospital · Houghton Square · Houghton Street (1906) · Houghton Street · Howard Street · Hudsons House · Inn of Court · Inner Temple Gardens · Jack Horner · Jamie’s Wine Bar and Restaurant · Jockeys Fields · John’s Mews · Kean Street · Kemble Street · Kingsgate Street · Kingsway · Kingsway · Knights Templar · Kopapa · Lamb’s Conduit Passage · Lamb’s Conduit Street · Lamb’s Mews · Leather Lane · Leicester Square · Les Cousins · Lincoln’s Inn Fields · Lincoln’s Inn Fields · Lion Court · Lisle’s Tennis Court · Little Guildford Street · Little Turnstile · London Hippodrome · London Pub · Magpie Alley · Malet Place · Manette Street · Marlborough Arms · Marquis Cornwallis · Marquis Of Granby · Martlett Court · Melbourne Place · Millman Place · Molly Moggs Ale & Pie House · Montague Place · Montreal Place · Morwell Street · Museum Inn/Astor Museum · Museum Street · Museum Tavern · My Old Dutch · Nellie Dean · New Ambassadors Theatre · New Inn Passage (1901) · New Oxford Street · New Oxford Street · New Square Passage · Newport Court · Newton Street · Night and Day Bar Imperial Hotel · Ninth Ward London · Norfolk Street · North Cloisters · North East Wing Bush House · North West Wing Bush House · Old Compton Street · Orange Street · Ormond Close · Peabody Trust Estate · Peabody Trust Estate · Pegasus Bar · Penderel’s Oak · Philomena’s · Phoenix Place · Pillars Of Hercules · Pooles Buildings · Portsmouth Street · Portugal Street · Powis Place · Princess Louise · Princeton Street · Procter Street · Proctor Street · Quality Court · Queen Annes Square · Raymond Buildings · Red Lion Court · Red Lion Square · Red Lion Street · Regent Square · Rising Sun · River Terrace · Rolls Buildings · Royal Academy of Dramatic Art · Royal Opera House · Russell Square · Russell Square · Russell Street · Saint Cross Street · Saint Giles High Street · Salsa! · Sandland Street · Sardinia House · Sardinia Street · Sardinia Street · Secrets · Secrets · Serle Street · Shaftesbury Avenue · Sheffield Street · Shelton Street · Sir Chrisptopher Hatton · Slug and Lettuce · Soho · Soho Square · Sounding Alley · South Cloisters · South Square · South Square · Southampton Row · St Anne’s Court · St Clement’s Passage · St Clements Lane · St Etheldreda’s Church · St Giles · St Giles House · St Martin’s Theatre · St Peters Italian Social Club · St Peter’s Italian Church · Staple Inn · Staple Inn Buildings · Stedham Place · Strand (1890s) · Strand · Strand · Sutton Row · Sway · Tallis Street · Tavistock Bar · Tavistock Street · Temple Bar · Thavie’s Inn · The Angel · The Apple Tree · The Arcade · The Argyle · The Betsey Trotwood · The Bleeding Heart Tavern · The Blue Lion · The Bountiful Cow · The Bowler · The Cambridge Theatre · The College Arms · The Crown · The Crown · The Crown & Two Chairmen · The Crown · The Crown · The Dolphin · The Draft House · The Duke of York · The Edmund J. Safra Fountain Court · The Enterprise · The Fitzrovia · The Griffin · The Hack & Hop · The Hon. Soc. Of Gray’s Inn · The Lady Ottoline · The Lamb · The London Cocktail Club · The Montague on the Gardens · The O’ Bar · The Old Crown · The Old Nick · The Old Red Lion · The Perseverance · The Plough · The Polish Bar (Na Zdrowie) · The Queens Larder · The Rugby Tavern · The Seven Stars · The Ship · The Ship Tavern · The Slice Bar (Cupola House) · The Square Pig · The Strand · The Sun · The Sussex · The Swan · The Tottenham · The Toucan · The Wheatsheaf · The White Swan · The Yard Bar · The Yorkshire Grey · Theobald’s Road · Thomas Neal’s shopping centre · Thornhaugh Street · Three Greyhounds · Tipperary · Torrington Square · Tottenham Court Road · Tottenham Court Road (1927) · Tottenham Court Road · Troy Club · Truckles Wine Bar · Tweezer’s Alley · Two Brewers · University College London · Upper Saint Martin’s Lane · Upper St Martin’s Lane · Verulam Buildings · Victoria House · Vinyl Bar · Walker’s Court · Wardour Street · Warwick Court · Water Street · West Central Street · Whetstone Park · White Hart · White Horse · Wild Court · Wild Street (1902) · Willoughby Street · Woburn Place · Woburn Square · Wych Street · Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese · Ye Olde Cock Tavern · Ye Olde Mitre · Yorkshire Grey Roundabout · Yorkshire Grey Yard
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Holborn · WC1V ·
JANUARY
1
2000

Sicilian Avenue is a shopping parade that diagonally runs in between Southampton Row and Bloomsbury Way.


The street was designed by architect Robert Worley in 1906 and completed in 1910 in a monumental Edwardian style, using Italian marble, colonnades and turrets.

Ionic columns on plinths, carrying the street name in gold characters, have been placed at both the eastern and western entrances of the avenue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sicilian_Avenue

Citations and sources

Gillian Bebbington's 1972 work on street name derivations
The free encyclopedia

Links and further reading

Facebook Page
Facebook Page
Facebook Page
Facebook Page

VIEW THE HOLBORN AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE HOLBORN AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE HOLBORN AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE HOLBORN AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE HOLBORN AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Holborn

Holborn is both an area and also the name of the area's principal street, known as High Holborn between St. Giles's High Street and Gray's Inn Road and then Holborn Viaduct between Holborn Circus and Newgate Street.

The area's first mention is in a charter of Westminster Abbey, by King Edgar, dated to 959. This mentions 'the old wooden church of St Andrew' (St Andrew, Holborn). The name Holborn may be derived from the Middle English hol for hollow, and bourne, a brook, referring to the River Fleet as it ran through a steep valley to the east.

It was at first outside the City's jurisdiction and a part of Ossulstone Hundred in Middlesex. The original Bars were the boundary of the City of London from 1223, when the City's jurisdiction was extended beyond the Walls, at Newgate, into the suburb here, as far as the point where the Bars where erected, until 1994 when the border moved to the junction of Chancery Lane. In 1394 the Ward of Farringdon Without was created, but only the south side of Holborn was under its jurisdiction with some minor properties, such as parts of Furnival's Inn, on the northern side.

The Holborn District was created in 1855, consisting of the civil parishes and extra-parochial places of Glasshouse Yard, Saffron Hill, Hatton Garden, Ely Rents and Ely Place, St Andrew Holborn Above the Bars with St George the Martyr and St Sepulchre. The Metropolitan Borough of Holborn was created in 1900, consisting of the former area of the Holborn District and the St Giles District, excluding Glasshouse Yard and St Sepulchre, which went to the Metropolitan Borough of Finsbury. The Metropolitan Borough of Holborn was abolished in 1965 and its area now forms part of the London Borough of Camden.

In the 18th century, Holborn was the location of the infamous Mother Clap's molly house but in the modern era High Holborn has become a centre for entertainment venues to suit more general tastes: 22 inns or taverns were recorded in the 1860s and the Holborn Empire, originally Weston's Music Hall, stood between 1857 and 1960, when it was pulled down after structural damage sustained in the Blitz. The theatre premièred the first full-length feature film in 1914, The World, the Flesh and the Devil, a 50-minute melodrama filmed in Kinemacolour.

Charles Dickens took up residence in Furnival's Inn, on the site of the former Prudential building designed by Alfred Waterhouse now named Holborn Bars. Dickens put his character Pip, in Great Expectations, in residence at Barnard's Inn opposite, now occupied by Gresham College. Staple Inn, notable as the promotional image for Old Holborn tobacco, is nearby. The three of these were Inns of Chancery. The most northerly of the Inns of Court, Gray's Inn, is in Holborn, as is Lincoln's Inn: the area has been associated with the legal professions since mediaeval times, and the name of the local militia (now Territorial Army unit, the Inns of Court & City Yeomanry) still reflects that. Subsequently the area diversified and become recognisable as the modern street.

A plaque stands at number 120 commemorating Thomas Earnshaw's invention of the Marine chronometer, which facilitated long-distance travel. At the corner of Hatton Garden was the old family department store of Gamages. Until 1992, the London Weather Centre was located in the street. The Prudential insurance company relocated in 2002. The Daily Mirror offices used to be directly opposite it, but the site is now occupied by Sainsbury's head office.

Hatton Garden, the centre of the diamond trade, was leased to a favourite of Queen Elizabeth I, Sir Christopher Hatton at the insistence of the Queen to provide him with an income. Behind the Prudential Building lies the Anglo-Catholic church of St Alban the Martyr.

In the early 21st century, Holborn has become the site of new offices and hotels: for example, the old neoclassical Pearl Assurance building near the junction with Kingsway was converted into an hotel in 1999.

Holborn station is located at the junction of High Holborn and Kingsway. Situated on the Piccadilly and Central Lines, it is the only station common to the two lines, although the two lines also cross each other three times in West London.

The station was opened by the Great Northern, Piccadilly and Brompton Railway (GNP&BR, now the Piccadilly Line) on 15 December 1906 with the name Holborn (Kingsway). Kingsway was a new road, cutting south from High Holborn through an area of cleared slums to Strand. The suffix was dropped from tube maps in the 1960s.
Print-friendly version of this page

Maps


Central London, north east (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Central London, north east.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Cruchley's New Plan of London (1848) FREE DOWNLOAD
Cruchley's New Plan of London Shewing all the new and intended improvements to the Present Time. - Cruchley's Superior Map of London, with references to upwards of 500 Streets, Squares, Public Places & C. improved to 1848: with a compendium of all Place of Public Amusements also shewing the Railways & Stations.
G. F. Cruchley

Cary's New And Accurate Plan of London and Westminster (1818) FREE DOWNLOAD
Cary's map provides a detailed view of London. With print date of 1 January 1818, Cary's map has 27 panels arranged in 3 rows of 9 panels, each measuring approximately 6 1/2 by 10 5/8 inches. The complete map measures 32 1/8 by 59 1/2 inches. Digitising this map has involved aligning the panels into one contiguous map.
John Cary

John Rocque Map of London (1762) FREE DOWNLOAD
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map covers central London at a reduced level of detail compared with his 1745-6 map.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1843) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured.
Chapman and Hall, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1836) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Insets: A view of the Tower from London Bridge -- A view of London from Copenhagen Fields. Includes views of facades of 25 structures "A comparison of the principal buildings of London."
Chapman and Hall, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.