South Island Place, SW9
Road in/near Oval, existing between 1809 and now
Print-friendly version of this page Oval tube station in Kennington is named after The Oval Cricket Ground, which it serves.
South Island Place runs west to east from Clapham Road
to Brixton Road
In 1809 it was shown on maps as a rural footpath. The earliest housing was built in 1822 and some of these cottages still stand today at the western end of the street.
By the 1840s, shops had been built along the southern sides of the street.
South Island Place was bombed in the 1940s with modern blocks being built as a result.
The Holland Rise tower block came along in 1967.
User unknown/public domain
The station opened on 18 December 1890 as part of the City & South London Railway. It opened as Kennington Oval
, and was designed by Thomas Phillips Figgis with elements of early Arts and Crafts and neo-classical detailing. The structure was made distinctive by a lead-covered dome with cupola lantern and weathervane which housed some of the lift equipment; the main part of the building was of red brick. The station building was rebuilt in the early 1920s when the line was modernised and was refurbished during late 2007/early 2008 at street level with a modern tiling scheme inside and out, giving the station a more modern look. Reflecting its proximity to the cricket ground, the internal decorative tiling features large images of cricketers in various stances.