Angel

Underground station, existing between 1901 and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
3.94.129.211 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Underground station · Angel · N1 ·
November
18
2012

Angel tube station is a London Underground station in The Angel, Islington. It is on the Bank branch of the Northern Line.


Angel station was originally built by the City & South London Railway, and opened in 1901 as the northern terminus of a new extension from Moorgate. It is one of five stations on the London Underground named after a public house – in this case the once-famous Angel inn, which dates back to at least 1638.

As with many other stations on the line, it was originally built with a single central island platform serving two tracks – an arrangement still seen at Clapham North and Clapham Common – and access from street level was via lifts.

For years, the station regularly suffered from congestion, overcrowding and genuine fear in passengers due to the very narrow island platform (barely 3.7 metres in width), which constituted a major safety issue.

Consequently, the station was comprehensively rebuilt, reopening in 1992.

The lifts and the ground level building originally on the corner of Torrens Street and City Road were closed and a new station entrance was opened around the corner in Islington High Street. Because of the distance of the new entrance from the platforms, and their depth, two flights of escalators were required, aligned approximately at a right-angle. Angel station has the third-longest escalators in Western Europe (after Västra skogen in the Stockholm Metro and Kamppi station in the Helsinki Metro), with a vertical rise of 27 metres and a length of 60 metres.

The tube stop serves as a portal to several Off West End, or fringe theatre, venues, including Old Red Lion Theatre, The King's Head Theatre and Almeida Theatre. It is also the station for Chapel Market, a London street market. Between Angel and Old Street stations is the disused City Road station.


Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence

xxx

User unknown/public domain

THE STREETS OF ANGEL
- 5 Islington High Street, N1 A street within the EC1V postcode
Angel Arcade, N1 Angel Arcade is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area.
Angel House 20-32, N1 A street within the N1 postcode
Angel Mews, EC1V This is a street in the EC1V postcode area
Angel Mews, N1 Angel Mews is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area.
Angel Square, EC1V Angel Square is one of the streets of London in the EC1V postal area.
Arlington Way, EC1R Arlington Way is one of the streets of London in the EC1R postal area.
Claremont Close, EC1R Claremont Close is a road in the EC1R postcode area
Claremont Close, N1 Claremont Close is a road in the N1 postcode area
Claremont Street, N1 A street within the N1 postcode
Friend Street, EC1V Friend Street is a road in the EC1V postcode area
House, N1 A street within the N1 postcode
Islington High Street, N1 Islington High Street is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area.
Owen Street, EC1V Owen Street is a road in the EC1V postcode area
Owen’s Row, EC1V Owen’s Row is a road in the EC1V postcode area
Paget Street, EC1V Paget Street is one of the streets of London in the EC1V postal area.
Pentoville Road, N1 A street within the N1 postcode
Torrens Street, EC1V Torrens Street is one of the streets of London in the EC1V postal area.
Torrens Street, N1 Torrens Street is a road in the N1 postcode area



VIEW THE ANGEL AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE ANGEL AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE ANGEL AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE ANGEL AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE ANGEL AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Angel

Angel tube station is a London Underground station in The Angel, Islington. It is on the Bank branch of the Northern Line.

Angel station was originally built by the City & South London Railway, and opened in 1901 as the northern terminus of a new extension from Moorgate. It is one of five stations on the London Underground named after a public house – in this case the once-famous Angel inn, which dates back to at least 1638.

As with many other stations on the line, it was originally built with a single central island platform serving two tracks – an arrangement still seen at Clapham North and Clapham Common – and access from street level was via lifts.

For years, the station regularly suffered from congestion, overcrowding and genuine fear in passengers due to the very narrow island platform (barely 3.7 metres in width), which constituted a major safety issue.

Consequently, the station was comprehensively rebuilt, reopening in 1992.

The lifts and the ground level building originally on the corner of Torrens Street and City Road were closed and a new station entrance was opened around the corner in Islington High Street. Because of the distance of the new entrance from the platforms, and their depth, two flights of escalators were required, aligned approximately at a right-angle. Angel station has the third-longest escalators in Western Europe (after Västra skogen in the Stockholm Metro and Kamppi station in the Helsinki Metro), with a vertical rise of 27 metres and a length of 60 metres.

The tube stop serves as a portal to several Off West End, or fringe theatre, venues, including Old Red Lion Theatre, The King's Head Theatre and Almeida Theatre. It is also the station for Chapel Market, a London street market. Between Angel and Old Street stations is the disused City Road station.
Print-friendly version of this page