Print-friendly version of this page Finchley Road is on the Jubilee line, between West Hampstead and Swiss Cottage and on the Metropolitan line between Baker Street and Wembley Park.
meets the Finchley Road
, there is an indiscernible dip...
The road called Frognal
follows the course of a long-buried river, the Kilbourne. Downstream this becomes the Westbourne, one of the major "lost" rivers of London.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Finchley Road looking north as Frognal enters from the right.
Google Maps (2014)
The station was opened on 30 June 1879 by the Metropolitan Railway (MR, now the Metropolitan line) on its extension from its now closed station at St. John's Wood (a different station from the current St. John's Wood Jubilee line station). The station was rebuilt in 1914 with entrances incorporated into a new parade of shops.
By the mid-1930s the Metropolitan line was suffering from congestion on its main routes from north west London, caused by the limited capacity of its tracks between Finchley Road
and Baker Street stations. To alleviate this congestion new sections of deep tube tunnels were bored between Finchley Road
and Baker Street to carry some of the traffic from the Stanmore branch and stations south of Wembley Park. These new tunnels opened on 20 November 1939 and from that date Finchley Road
station was also served by Bakerloo line trains running from Baker Street using the new tunnels. The Bakerloo line services were subsequently transferred to the Jubilee line when that line commenced operation on 1 May 1979.
Analysis of earth removed when tunnelling towards the station revealed that its site was the southern limit of a glacier which covered Britain in one of the Ice Ages, as illustrated in episode 3 (Ice Age) of the BBC series British Isles: A Natural History