Print-friendly version of this page The part of Queen's Park which is in the W10 postcode and City of Westminster, is known as the Queens Park Estate.
Farrant Street is the missing link in the alphabetti spaghetti of the streetnames of the Queen's Park Estate
While there was never a street beginning with the letter J, the original streets of the Queen's Park Estate began with the letters A through to P.
Farrant Street and Peach Street no longer exist (though there is a new Peach Road
nearby). Peach Street was demolished by a 500 pound German bomb dropped by parachute. It left a big crater and the whole street was demolished. Debris from the blast was blown into the air and landed as far away as Willesden where "it fell among people coming out of a cinema."
Farrant Street went a different away. One amenity not provided, although mentioned in the initial Queen's Park Estate prospectus, had been an open space for recreation. When Farrant Street was demolished in the 1970s, residents finally got their little oasis of greenery - a century after it was promised.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Farrant Street, c.1900
User unknown/public domain
It was built from 1874 by the Artisans, Labourers & General Dwellings Company. The architecture of that estate of some 2000 small houses is distinctively Gothic-revival, with polychrome brickwork, pinnacles and turrets along the bigger roads.
It retains First Avenue, Second Avenue etc up to Sixth Avenue, and originally had streets A-P. The street names have been made into full words, (Alperton Street, Barfett Street, Caird Street, Droop Street, Embrook Street, Farrant Street, Galton Street, Huxley Street, Ilbert Street, Kilravock Street, Lothrop Street, Marne Street, Nutbourne Street, Oliphant Street, Peach Street).
It was on this estate that the first QPR footballers had their homes.