Spear Mews, SW5

Road in Earl's Court

 HOME  ARTICLE  MAP  FULLSCREEN  EDIT  STREETS  RECENT  BLOG  HELP 
Click here to log in on Facebook Advanced
MAPPING:1750180018301860190019302017Fullscreen map
Road · Earl's Court · SW5 · Contributed by The Underground Map
JANUARY
1
2000


Spear Mews is one of the streets of London in the SW5postal area.

VIEW THE EARL'S COURT AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE EARL'S COURT AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE EARL'S COURT AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE EARL'S COURT AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE EARL'S COURT AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

 
 Upload an image
You can add an image to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 Add new information to this location
You can add text to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 
 Log on via Facebook
You can use a Facebook id to add material to this website.

Address not listed? Add it here...
Go to Earl's Court

Earl's Court

Earls Court is a district in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.

Earls Court was once a rural area, covered with green fields and market gardens. For over 500 years the land, part of the ancient manor of Kensington, was under the lordship of the Vere family, the Earls of Oxford and descendants of Aubrey de Vere, who held the manor of Geoffrey de Montbray, bishop of Coutances, in Domesday Book in 1086. The earls held their manorial court where Old Manor Yard is now, just by the London Underground station.

The construction of the Metropolitan District Railway (MDR) station in 1865–69 was a catalyst for development. On 12 April 1869, the MDR (now the District Line) opened tracks through Earl’s Court as part of a south-westward extension from its station at Gloucester Road to West Brompton where the MDR opened an interchange with the West London Extension Joint Railway. In the quarter century afterwards, Earls Court was transformed into a densely populated suburb with 1200 houses and two churches. Eardley Crescent and Kempsford Gardens were built between 1867 and 1873, building began in Earls Court Square and Longridge Road in 1873, in Nevern Place in 1874, in Trebovir Road and Philbeach Gardens in 1876, and Nevern Square in 1880.

Following WWII a number of Polish immigrants settled in the Earls Court area leading to Earls Court Road being dubbed ’The Danzig Corridor’. During the late 1960s a large transient population of Australia and New Zealand travellers began to use Earls Court as a UK hub and over time it gained the name ’Kangaroo Valley’. It was at the time one of the cheapest areas close to central London, and up until the 1990s remained a somewhat down-at-heel district compared to its more upmarket neighbours to the North and East.

Today, while there are still significant numbers of students or other people on temporary visas, many of the Australians and New Zealanders appear to have moved on to now-cheaper areas further North and West.

The change in the area’s population is largely owed to rocketing property prices during the first decade of the 2000s and the continued gentrification of the area. The scale of change is illustrated by the economic divide between the eastern and western areas of Earls Court.


LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Coleherne House:   Coleherne House once stood on the corner of Brompton Lane (later Brompton Road) and Walnut Tree Lane (now Redcliffe Gardens).
Earl's Court:   Earls Court is a district in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.
Earl's Court Farm:   Earl’s Court Farm is pictured here as it was in 1867, before the opening of the underground station two years later.
Earls Court Exhibition Centre:   Earls Court Exhibition Centre is an exhibition, conference and events venue in London that opened in 1937.
St Mary Abbot’s:   St Mary Abbot’s Hospital operated from 1871 to 1992. From 1846 to 1869 the site housed the Kensington Parish Workhouse.


NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Abingdon Villas, W8 · Alma Studios, W8 · Barkston Gardens, SW5 · Beatrice Place, W8 · Childs Place, SW5 · Coleherne Road, SW10 · Cromwell Road, SW5 · Eardley Crescent, SW5 · Eardley Cresent, SW5 · Earls Court Gardens, SW5 · Earls Court Road, SW5 · Earls Court Road, W8 · Earls Court Square, SW5 · Earls Walk, W8 · Farnell Mews, SW5 · Hesper Mews, SW5 · Hogarth Place, SW5 · Hogarth Road, SW5 · Kempsford Gardens, SW5 · Kenway Road, SW5 · Knaresborough Place, SW5 · Kramer Mews, SW5 · Langham Mansions, SW5 · Lexham Gardens, W8 · Lexham Mews, W8 · Longridge Road, SW5 · Marloes Road, W8 · Marlogs Road, W8 · Nevern Place, SW5 · Nevern Road, SW5 · Nevern Square, SW5 · Old Brompton Road, SW5 · Pembroke Mews, W8 · Pembroke Road, W8 · Pembroke Square, W8 · Pennant Mews, W8 · Penywern Road, SW5 · Philbeach Gardens, SW5 · Radley Mews, W8 · Redcliffe Close, SW5 · Redfield Lane, SW5 · Scarsdale Villas, W8 · South Edwardes Square, W8 · Spear Mews, SW5 · Stone Hall Gardens, W8 · Stratford Road, W8 · Sunningdale Gardens, W8 · Templeton Place, SW5 · The Mansions, SW5 · Trebouir Road, SW5 · Trebovir Road, SW5 · Warwick Road, SW5 · West Cromwell Road, SW5 · Wetherby Mansions, SW5 ·


USING THIS MATERIAL IN OTHER ARTICLES


COMMENTS

Print-friendly version of this page

What is Spear Mews, SW5 like as a place to live?

Data from placeilive.com/

Links

Earl’s Court
Facebook Page
West Brompton
Facebook Page
High Street Kensington
Facebook Page
West Kensington
Facebook Page
Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
Londonist
All-encompassing website
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Time Out
Listings magazine

Maps


Central London, south west (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Central London, south west.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 


COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or – from the available evidence – are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.