Spring Gardens, SW1A

Road in/near Charing Cross, existing between 1752 and now

Adam Street · Adelphi Terrace · Air Street · Albemarle Street · Aldwych · Aldwych · Aldwych · Ambassador’s Court · Archer Street · Babmaes Street · Beak Street · Bear Street · Birdcage Walk · Birdcage Walk · Blackmoore Street (1902) · Blue Bridge · Brewer Street · Broad Sanctuary · Broadwick Street · Buckingham Palace · Burlington Gardens · Burlington Gardens · Bury Street · Buses outside the National Gallery · Cambridge Circus · Cannon Street · Canon Row · Carlton Gardens · Carlton House Terrace · Carnaby Street · Carting Lane · Catherine Street · Catherine Wheel Yard · Cecil Court · Charing Cross · Charing Cross · Chubb Court · Clare Market · Clement’s Inn · Conduit Avenue · Conduit Street · Courtauld Institute of Art · Courtauld Institute of Art · Covent Garden · Coventry Street · Cranbourn Street · Craven Passage · Craven Street · DLD College London · Embankment · Embankment Place · Embankment · Exeter Street · Florence Nightingale Museum · Foubert’s Place · Garrick Yard · George Court · Golden Jubilee Bridge · Goodwins Court · Great Scotland Yard · Great Windmill Street · Greek Court · Greek Street · Haymarket · Heddon Street · Hobhouse Court · Hop Gardens · Hopkins Street · Horse and Dolphin Yard · Horse Guards Parade · Houghton Square · Hungerford Bridge · Hungerford Stairs · Irving Street · Ivybridge Lane · Jermyn Street · John Adam Street · John Street · Jubilee Gardens · Kemp’s Court · Leicester Square · Leicester Square · London Aquarium · London Hippodrome · Maple Leaf Walk · Martlett Court · Mason’s Arms Mews · May’s Court · Melbourne Place · Milkmaid’s Passage · Montreal Place · New Burlington Street · New Inn Passage (1901) · New Row · Newport Court · Norfolk Street · Northumberland Avenue · Northumberland Avenue · Northumberland House · Northumberland Street · Old Bond Street · Old Compton Street · Orange Street · Orange Street · Oxendon Street · Pall Mall East · Parker Street looking east (1905) · Parliament Square · Piccadilly Circus · Piccadilly Circus · Piccadilly Theatre · Piccadilly · Piccadilly · Pickering Place · Pickering Place · PO Box 11096 · PO Box 13119 · Price’s Court · Queen Anne’s Gate · Regent Street · Richmond Terrace · River Terrace · Robert Street · Rose and Crown Yard · Royal Opera House · Royal Society · Royal Society · Rupert Court · Rupert Street · Russell Court · Russell Street · Saint James’s Place · Saint James’s Square · Saint James’s Street · Saint Martin’s Lane · Saint Martin’s Court · Saint Martin’s Place · Savile Row · Savoy Hill · Savoy Way · Shipley's Drawing School · Soho · Soho Parish CofE Primary School · Southbank Centre Square · Southbank · Spring Gardens · St Clement Danes CofE Primary School · St James's Park · St James’s · St James’s Park · St James’s Place · St. Clement Danes · St. James’s Drive · St. Margaret Street · St. Thomas’s Square · Stable Yard Road · Strand (1890s) · Strand Lane · Strand Underpass · Strand · Suffolk Place · Tavistock Street · The Adelphi · The Arches · The Edmund J. Safra Fountain Court · The Gallery · The National Gallery · The Queen’s Steps · The Queen’s Walk · The Queen’s Walk · The Queen’s Walk · The Royal Ballet School · The Terrace · The Tunnel · Thomas Neal’s shopping centre · Trafalgar Square · Trafalgar Square · Upper John Street · Upper Saint Martin’s Lane · Upper St Martin’s Lane · Victoria Embankment Gardens · Victoria Embankment · Victoria Memorial · Villiers Street · Walker’s Court · Wardour Street · Warwick House Street · Watergate Walk · Waterloo · Waterloo Air Terminal (1953) · Waterloo Bridge · Waterloo Bridge · Waterloo Bridge · Waterloo Place · West End Children’s Centre · Westminster · Westminster Bridge · Westminster Bridge · Whitehall Court · Whitehall Gardens · Whitehall Place · Whitehall · Wilder Walk · William IV Street · Wych Street · Wyld’s Great Globe · York Place · York Road Curve
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Charing Cross · SW1A · Contributed by The Underground Map

Spring Gardens derives its name from the Spring Garden, formed in the 16th century as an addition to the pleasure grounds of Whitehall Palace.

The word ’Spring’ in this sense meant a plantation of young trees, especially one used for rearing game. The Spring Garden was shown on the Agas map as a little copse enclosed with a fence, and there are later references to pheasants and other "wild fowl" being preserved there.

In 1580 the garden was extended with a bowling green, a birdhouse, a bathing pool and the planting of orange trees. Before the end of James I’s reign, the garden had become a semi-public pleasure ground.

In 1631 a Simon Osbaldeston was appointed to keep "the Springe Garden and of the Bowling Greene there."

There was at least one house in Spring Garden as early as 1635 and more house building occurred over the next forty years. Towards the close of the 17th century, part of the Spring Garden had become a refuge for debtors. One of the most notorious was Sir Edward Hungerford and the Board of Greencloth finally to allow creditors to serve processes on persons living there.

In 1669, a house was let to Sir Robert Southwell who had returned from a diplomatic mission to Portugal. In 1702, his title passed to his son Sir Edward Southwell.

In time, the younger Southwell was in possession of most of the Spring Garden and begun to plan for its redevelopment. Development was for a time delayed on account of the strip of ground in the possession of the descendants of Sir Edward Nicholas but in 1752 the Southwells bought up the lease of this ground from a nephew. New Street was then extended westward to the park. Plots on New Street were granted to builder John Lambert, who was also responsible about this time for the development of Northumberland Street, Charing Cross.

New Street became Spring Gardens and it became a fashionable quarter for politicians and civil servants.

By the middle of the 19th century the Admiralty Office needed to expand. From 1853 onward more of the Spring Garden houses were acquired for Admiralty purposes.

The Public Offices Site Act of 1882 authorised the acquisition of practically the whole Spring Garden site by the Commissioners of Works for the purpose of erecting new Admiralty Offices. Most of the site was cleared in 1885. The Admiralty new building was completed in 1891, and a further block, which included the Admiralty Arch, was opened in 1910.

Source: Spring Gardens | British History Online

Citations, sources, links and further reading

Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
A wander through London, street by street
All-encompassing website
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Facebook Page
Facebook Page
Facebook Page
Facebook Page

The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.


Charing Cross

Charing Cross denotes the junction of the Strand, Whitehall and Cockspur Street, just south of Trafalgar Square in central London. It gives its name to several local landmarks, including Charing Cross railway station, one of the main London rail termini.

Charing Cross is named after the now demolished Eleanor cross that stood there, in what was once the hamlet of Charing. It was where King Edward I placed a memorial to his wife, Eleanor of Castile.

It was one of twelve places where Eleanor's coffin rested overnight during the funeral procession from Lincolnshire to her final resting-place at Westminster. At each of these, Edward erected an Eleanor cross, of which only three now remain.

The original site of the cross has been occupied since 1675 by an equestrian statue of King Charles I. A Victorian replacement, in different style from the original, was later erected a short distance to the east outside the railway station.

Formerly, until 1931, Charing Cross also referred to the part of what is now Whitehall lying between Great Scotland Yard and Trafalgar Square. At least one property retains a Charing Cross postal address: Drummonds Bank, on the corner of Whitehall and The Mall, which is designated 49 Charing Cross (not to be confused with the separate Charing Cross Road).

Since the second half of the 18th century, Charing Cross has been seen by some as the exact centre of London, being the main point used for measuring distances from London.

The railway station opened in 1864, fronted on the Strand with the Charing Cross Hotel. The original station building was built on the site of the Hungerford Market by the South Eastern Railway, designed by Sir John Hawkshaw, with a single span wrought iron roof arching over the six platforms on its relatively cramped site.

Charing Cross tube station has entrances located in Trafalgar Square and The Strand. The station is served by the Northern and Bakerloo lines, originally separate tube stations called Strand and Trafalgar Square, and provides an interchange with the National Rail network. The station was served by the Jubilee Line between 1979 and 1999, acting as the southern terminus of the line during that period.

Print-friendly version of this page


Cruchley's New Plan of London (1848) FREE DOWNLOAD
Cruchley's New Plan of London Shewing all the new and intended improvements to the Present Time. - Cruchley's Superior Map of London, with references to upwards of 500 Streets, Squares, Public Places & C. improved to 1848: with a compendium of all Place of Public Amusements also shewing the Railways & Stations.
G. F. Cruchley

Cary's New And Accurate Plan of London and Westminster (1818) FREE DOWNLOAD
Cary's map provides a detailed view of London. With print date of 1 January 1818, Cary's map has 27 panels arranged in 3 rows of 9 panels, each measuring approximately 6 1/2 by 10 5/8 inches. The complete map measures 32 1/8 by 59 1/2 inches. Digitising this map has involved aligning the panels into one contiguous map.
John Cary

John Rocque Map of London (1762) FREE DOWNLOAD
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map covers central London at a reduced level of detail compared with his 1745-6 map.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1843) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured.
Chapman and Hall, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1836) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Insets: A view of the Tower from London Bridge -- A view of London from Copenhagen Fields. Includes views of facades of 25 structures "A comparison of the principal buildings of London."
Chapman and Hall, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.