St Andrews Avenue, Sudbury, Middlesex

Road in/near Sudbury Town

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
107.20.10.203 
Allendale Road · Allendale Road · Allington Close · Amery Road · Ander Close · Ash Grove · Ashness Gardens · Aspen Drive · Auriol Drive · Bannister Close · Barham Close · Barham Close · Barley Close · Beaumont Avenue · Bedser Drive · Bengeworth Road · Berkeley Avenue · Brewery Close · Bridge Avenue · Burwell Avenue · Cambridge Avenue · Camden Crescent · Cavendish Avenue · Central Road · Central Square · Chaplin Road · Charterhouse Avenue · Chatsworth Avenue · Chestnut Avenue · Chestnut Grove · Chilcott Close · Church Gardens · Clare Parade · Clare Road · Codling Way · Colyton Close · Compton Avenue · Coniston Avenue · Copland Close · Court Parade · Court Parade · Crawford Avenue · Crossgate · Currey Road · Curtis Lane · Dalmeny Close · Dean Court · Dimmock Drive · District Road · District Road · Eastcote Avenue · Elms Court · Elms Gardens · Elms Lane · Elms Park Avenue · Elton Avenue · Ennismore Avenue · Fernbank Avenue · Fernwood Avenue · Foxlees · Gauntlett Court · Gilbert Scott Close · Grantchester Close · Green Park Way · Greenbank Avenue · Greenbank Avenue · Greenford Flyover · Greenford Road · Hadden Way · Hammond Close · Hapgood Close · Harrowdene Close · Harrowdene Road · Hasting Close · Hawthorne Mews · Hendren Close · Herga Court · Heritage View · High Lane · High Road Wembley · High Road · Highfield Avenue · Hill Road · Homefield Road · Horsenden Avenue · Horsenden Crescent · Horsenden Cresent · Hundred Elms Farm · Hussain Close · Hutton Close · Ithell Court · John Lyon Playing Fields · King George Crescent · Lancelot Avenue · Lancelot Crescent · Lancelot Parade · Lancelot Road · Lantern Close · Larwood Close · Lilian Board Way · Linthorpe Avenue · Linthorpe Avenue · Littleton Crescent · Lothian Close · Lyon Way · Malden Avenue · Market Way · Mary Peters Drive · Matthews Road · Maybank Avenue · Maybank Avenue · Medway Gardens · Melville Avenue · Milford Gardens · Morden Gardens · Morton Court · New Road · Newlands Close · Northolt Gardens · Northwood Gardens · Oakwood Crescent · Oakwood Cresent · Ockham Drive · Odeon Parade · Oldfield Close · Oldfield Lane North · Orchard Gate · Orchard Gate · Pasture Close · Pasture Road · Paxford Road · Perkin Close · Priory Avenue · Priory Close · Priory Crescent · Priory Gardens · Priory Hill · Priory Park Road · Railway Goods Yard · Rama Court · Ramsey Close · Rayners Close · Ridding Lane · Rockware Avenue · Rosebank Avenue · Rosedale Court · Rosehill Gardens · Rothesay Avenue · Roundtree Road · Rowan Close · Rugby Avenue · Runnymede Gardens · Saint Andrews Avenue · Sherry Close · Sherwood Avenue · South Vale · Sovereign Grove · St Annes Road · St Georges Close · Stapenhill Road · Station Approach · Sudbury Court Drive · Sudbury Court Road · Sudbury Crescent · Sudbury Cresent · Sudbury Croft · Sudbury Heights Avenue · Sudbury Hill · Sudbury Hill Close · Sudbury Town · Tessa Sanderson Way · The Boltons · The Croft · The Parade · The Rise · The Spinney · Thomas A’Beckett Close · Thurlow Gardens · Turner Close · Turton Road · Twickenham Gardens · Tyrell Close · Vale Farm · Vale Farm Sports Ground · Vernon Rise · Wadham Gardens · Wakeling Lane · Watford Road · Wellgarth · Wembley F.C. · Wembley Market · Western Avenue · Westway Cross Shopping Park · Westway Cross · Whitton Avenue East · Whitton Avenue East · Whitton Avenue West · Whitton Avenue West · Whitton Close · Whitton Drive · Williams Way · Windmore Close · Woodland Rise · Worcester Gardens
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Sudbury Town · HA0 · Contributed by The Underground Map
JANUARY
1
2000

St Andrews Avenue is one of the streets in the Harrow postal district of Middlesex.


VIEW THE SUDBURY TOWN AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE SUDBURY TOWN AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE SUDBURY TOWN AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE SUDBURY TOWN AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE SUDBURY TOWN AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Sudbury Town

Sudbury, as a historical area once extended from the ’South Manor- Sudbury’ (thought to have been on Harrow Hill) to the area that is now known as Wembley Central.

A majority of the land that once formed Sudbury Common until the 1930s has now been developed as a relatively green residential suburb of London.

Wealthy sisters and local philanthropists the Copland Sisters, after which many local landmarks from streets to schools were named, commissioned Sir John Gilbert Scott, the architect who later designed the Albert Memorial and St Pancras station, to build the Church of St John in 1846 which now marks the easterly extent of Sudbury. Opposite is Copland House, now a home for the elderly. The Coplands built Sudbury Lodge in the grounds of their father’s home in Crabbs House.

This would later change hands and be owned by another wealthy and philanthropist family, the Barhams. During the late Georgian period Sudbury was the home of the Express Dairy Company Limited run by the Barham Family. It was the first British Dairy to use glass milk bottles, the first to use milk churns and glass lined tanks to carry 30 000 gallons of milk by train into London every night and one of the first to introduce pasteurisation to sterilise milk. For his services the owner and managing director George Barham Sr. was knighted in 1904. He died in 1913 leaving his business to his son Titus Barham.

Urbanisation began in earnest in the late 19th century with the arrival of the railways and Sudbury town became part of the London commuter belt.

Sudbury Town station was opened on 28 June 1903 by the District Railway (now the District line) on its new extension to South Harrow from Park Royal & Twyford Abbey. This new extension was, together with the existing tracks back to Acton Town, the first section of the Underground’s surface lines to be electrified and operate electric instead of steam trains.

The demand for housing was such that within the short interwar period much of the area became urbanised. Titus Barham died aged 77 years in 1937 and he left considerable lands for the benefit of the public rather than building.

Despite the building, it remains a relatively green area mainly due to a strict planning control. In 1928 land was given over for the Vale Farm sports fields. There has been a swimming pool on the site since 1932.

The original Sudbury Town station building was demolished in 1930 and 1931 and replaced by a new station in preparation for the handover of the branch from the District line to the Piccadilly line. The new station was designed by Charles Holden in a modern European style using brick, reinforced concrete and glass. Like the stations at Sudbury Hill to the north and Alperton to the south as well as others that Holden designed elsewhere for the east and west Piccadilly line extensions such as Acton Town and Oakwood, Sudbury Town station features a tall block-like ticket hall rising above a low horizontal structure that contains station facilities and shops. The brick walls of the ticket hall are punctuated with panels of clerestory windows and the structure is capped with a flat concrete slab roof. Sudbury Town station is a Grade II* listed building. Some of the original station signage uses the Johnston Delf Smith typeface, a wedge-serif variation of the standard London Underground Johnston typeface.

On 4 July 1932, the Piccadilly line was extended to run west of its original terminus at Hammersmith sharing the route with the District line to Ealing Common. From Ealing Common to South Harrow, the District line was replaced by the Piccadilly line.
Print-friendly version of this page

Maps


John Rocque Map of Wembley, Kingsbury, Willesden and Harlesden (1762)
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map covers an area from Harrow in the northwest to Harlesden in the southeast.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.