St Mark’s Place, W11

Road in/near Notting Hill, existing between 1861 and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
3.230.154.129 
MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Fullscreen map
Road · Notting Hill · W11 ·
JANUARY
14
2016

St Mark’s Place is situated on the site of the former Kensington Hippodrome.

St Mark’s Place, a short street between Cornwall Crescent and Blenheim Crescent, was originally called Chapel Place after a Baptist Chapel that stood on the eastern corner with Cornwall Crescent.

It seems to have acquired its present name after a large church called St Mark’s was built in the neighbouring St Mark’s Road. The numbering of the houses in the street is eccentric, and almost certainly reflects the fact that Nos. 1-3 (consecutive) on the east side and numbers 4-10 on the south side were the earliest to be built and that the street acquired its numbers when they were the only buildings in the street (apart from the chapel).


Main source: Ladbroke Association
Further citations and sources


xxx



 

Notting Hill

Notting Hill: A place whose fortunes have come, gone and come again...

Notting Hill is a cosmopolitan district known as the location for the annual Notting Hill Carnival, and for being home to the Portobello Road Market.

The word Notting might originate from a Saxon called Cnotta with the =ing part indicating "the place inhibited by the people of" - i.e. where Cnotta’s tribe lived. There was a farm called variously "Knotting-Bernes,", "Knutting-Barnes" or "Nutting-barns" and this name was transferred to the hill above it.

The area remained rural until the westward expansion of London reached Bayswater in the early 19th century. The main landowner in Notting Hill was the Ladbroke family, and from the 1820s James Weller Ladbroke began to undertake the development of the Ladbroke Estate. Working with the architect and surveyor Thomas Allason, Ladbroke began to lay out streets and houses, with a view to turning the area into a fashionable suburb of the capital (although the development did not get seriously under way until the 1840s). Many of these streets bear the Ladbroke name, including Ladbroke Grove, the main north-south axis of the area, and Ladbroke Square, the largest private garden square in London.

The original idea was to call the district Kensington Park, and other roads (notably Kensington Park Road and Kensington Park Gardens) are reminders of this. The local telephone prefix 7727 (originally 727) is based on the old telephone exchange name of PARk.

The reputation of the district altered over the course of the 20th century. As middle class households ceased to employ servants, the large Notting Hill houses lost their market and were increasingly split into multiple occupation.

For much of the 20th century the large houses were subdivided into multi-occupancy rentals. Caribbean immigrants were drawn to the area in the 1950s, partly because of the cheap rents, but were exploited by slum landlords like Peter Rachman, and also became the target of white racist Teddy Boys in the 1958 Notting Hill race riots.

Notting Hill was slowly gentrified from the 1980s onwards now has a contemporary reputation as an affluent and fashionable area; known for attractive terraces of large Victorian townhouses, and high-end shopping and restaurants (particularly around Westbourne Grove and Clarendon Cross).

A Daily Telegraph article in 2004 used the phrase the ’Notting Hill Set’ to refer to a group of emerging Conservative politicians, such as David Cameron and George Osborne, who were once based in Notting Hill.

Since it was first developed in the 1830s, Notting Hill has had an association with artists and ’alternative’ culture.
Print-friendly version of this page