St Pauls Mews, NW1
Buildings in this area date from the nineteenth century or before
Print-friendly version of this page
St Pauls Mews is a street in Camden Town.
Camden Town tube station is a major junction on the Northern Line and one of the busiest stations on the London Underground network. It is particularly busy at weekends with tourists visiting Camden Market and Camden High Street.
|ADD A STORY TO ST PAULS MEWS|
|VIEW THE CAMDEN TOWN AREA IN THE 1750s|
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.
|VIEW THE CAMDEN TOWN AREA IN THE 1800s|
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.
|VIEW THE CAMDEN TOWN AREA IN THE 1830s|
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.
|VIEW THE CAMDEN TOWN AREA IN THE 1860s|
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.
|VIEW THE CAMDEN TOWN AREA IN THE 1900s|
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.
Camden is well-known for Camden Market which is a major tourist attraction, particularly busy at weekends, selling variety of fashion, antiques, lifestyle and bizarre goods; they (and the surrounding shops) are popular with young people, in particular those searching for alternative
It is an area popular with overseas students who come to Camden to learn English and find a job in one of the local bars or restaurants. The oldest established language school is Camden College of English, which is located at the Chalk Farm side of the market.
The Regent's Canal runs through the north end of Camden Town and is a popular walk in summer.
Camdem Town tube station began life as part of the original route of the Charing Cross, Euston and Hampstead Railway (CCE&HR) (now part of the Northern Line). As the line here branched into two routes, to Hampstead and to Highgate, the design of the station was rather unusual, shaped like a V. The line to Hampstead (now the Edgware Branch) is under Chalk Farm Road; the line to Highgate (now the High Barnet branch) is under Kentish Town Road. With the narrowness of the roads above, and the necessity to keep directly beneath them to avoid having to pay compensation to landowners during construction, on both lines the northbound platform is directly above the southbound one.
At the apex of the V is a junction allowing northbound trains to take either of the branches north, and likewise allow the trains south from the branches to join the single southbound track. This resulted in four connecting tunnels. When the CCE&HR and City & South London Railway lines were joined together after the City & South London Line became part of London Underground, a short extension from the Euston terminus of the City & South London was built to connect with each of the two northerly branches. This added another four tunnels to the junction, making it the most complex junction on the network.
Abacus Belsize Primary School
|OTHER UNDERGROUND MAP LOCATIONS NEAR HERE|
· Agar Children’s Centre
· Albany Street
· Baynham Place
· Beaconsfield Street
· Bergholt Mews
· Brecknock Primary School
· Broadfield Lane
· Camden Park Road
· Camden Terrace
· Camden Town
· Camden Town (1920)
· Camley Street
· Canal Reach
· Cedar Way
· Chester Close North
· Christ Church School
· Cliff Villas
· Clock View Crescent
· College Grove
· Crofters Way
· Crowndale Court
· Cumberland Terrace
· Drovers Way
· Early Mews
· Freight Lane
· Freight Lane
· Gloucester Gate Mews
· Granary Street
· Harrington Street
· Jeffrey’s Place
· King’s Terrace
· London Greek Orthodox Cathedral - All Saints
· Lyme Terrace
· Maiden Lane
· Marquis Road
· New Clock Tower Place
· North Bridge House Prep School
· Northpoint Square
· Our Lady Roman Catholic Primary School
· Pandian Way
· Park Village East
· Park Village Mews
· Park Village West
· Ploughmans Close
· Pratt Street
· Reachview Close
· Regent’s Canal towpath
· Regent’s Canal towpath
· Regent’s Canal Towpath
· Regent’s Park Terrace
· Regent’s Place Plaza
· Regents Canal towpath
· Regents Park Children’s Centre
· Regent’s Canal towpath
· Richard Cobden Primary School
· Rochester Terrace
· Saint Augustine’s Road North West
· Saint Pancras Way
· Saint Paul’s Crescent
· Saint Pauls Mews
· Signmakers Yard
· St Michael’s Church of England Primary School
· St Paul’s Crescent
· St. Augustine’s Road
· St. Pancras Way
· The Cavendish School
· The Royal Veterinary College
· The Working Men’s College
· Weavers Way
Articles in grey above need some care and attention
Roads are red; buildings are green
Other entries in blue above are featured articles
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés.
Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death.
The map of Hampstead covers an area stretching from the edge in the northwest of present-day Dollis Hill to Islington in the southeast.
John Rocque, The Strand, London
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London
London Underground map from 1921.
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York
London Underground map from 1908.
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License;
additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.
|Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.