Hammersmith is a district in west London, England, in the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham, approximately five miles (eight kilometres) west of Charing Cross on the north bank of the River Thames.
St Peter’s Square is a garden square laid out in the 1820s.
The square originated in the 1820s when George Scott built a speculative housing development on part of his Ravenscourt Park
From 1827 plots were developed by builders from a master plan. The square was mostly complete by the end of the 1830s.
St Peter’s Church, Hammersmith, completed in 1829, occupies the eastern corner.
The houses are a good example of 19th century square architecture, with paired villas in classical style arranged around a central space.
22 St Peter’s Square, a Grade II listed architect’s studio and office building, was formerly the Island Records headquarters.
The public garden in the centre of the square is Grade II listed. The centre of the garden is occupied by a sculpture, ’The Greek Runner’, by Sir William Blake Richmond, erected in 1926.
Famous former inhabitants have included Alec Guinness (actor), Matthew Pinsent (English rower), John Piper (artist) and Vanessa Redgrave (actor).
User unknown/public domain
One of west London's key transport hubs and commercial and employment centres, and home to several multinational company offices, it is focused on the two London Underground stations, bus station and road network node at Hammersmith Broadway
Hammersmith's pedestrianised riverside is popular for its many pubs, and excellent views of the river and its annual Boat Race.
The area has provided a location for several TV programmes. The Flying Squad were Hammersmith-based in the 1970s TV series The Sweeney
. It has for some decades been the main centre of London's Polish minority.
Hammersmith is served by two tube stations, one is the western terminus of the Hammersmith & City Line, the other by the Piccadilly and District Lines. Both are called Hammersmith. The latter tube station is part of a larger office, retail and transport development, locally known as The Broadway
after its large encompassing roundabout.
The present Hammersmith & City station is situated on Beadon Road
and opened on 1 December 1868, replacing the original station slightly north of here which opened on 13 June 1864 when the line extension was built from Paddington. The Circle line has served Hammersmith since 13 December 2009.
The Piccadilly and District line station was opened on 9 September 1874 by the Metropolitan District Railway (MDR, now the District Line) as the western terminus of the railway when it was extended from Earl's Court