Stanhope Parade, NW1

Road dates from around the second world war- in the area buildings are mainly post-war

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
18.212.239.56 
Too much info? Click here to declutter the page
Agar Town · Albany Street · Albany Terrace · Bap and Pickle Smugglers Tavern · Baynham Place · Beatrice · Beatty Street · Bedford Way · Bloomsbury Theatre · Brill Place · British Library · Broadwalk · Brock Street · Byng Place · Cambridge Gate Mews · Cambridge Terrace Mews · Camden People’s Theatre · Cardington Street · Cavali · Chalton Street · Chenies Mews · Chenies Place · Chester Close North · Chester Close South · Chester Road · Chester Terrace · Church Way · Clarence Gardens · Clarkson Row · Coach Road · Coach Road · Cobourg Street · Cooper’s Lane · County Hotel Ground Floor Bar · Cranleigh Street · Crown & Anchor · Crowndale Court · Crowndale Road · Cumberland Terrace · Darwin Walk · Devonshire Street · Doric Way · Doric Arch · Drummond Crescent · Drummond Street · Duke’s Road · Eastnor Castle · Elixir Bar · Euston · Euston Centre · Euston Road · Euston Road · Euston Road · Euston Square · Euston Square · Euston Street · Euston Tap · Euston Tower · Everton Buildings · Exmouth Arms · Fairyland · Fitzrovia Belle · Fitzroy Court · Fitzroy Square · Fitzroy Street · Flaxman Terrace · Foundry Mews · Gallery Coffee Shop · George Mews · Gloucester Gate Mews · Gower Court · Gower Street · Grafton Arms · Grafton Place · Grafton Way · Grafton Way · Great Portland Street · Great Portland Street · Greenwell Street · Hampstead Road · Harrington Street · Jeremy Bentham · Koko · Laxton Place · Little Albany Street · London Pub · Longford Street · Lyttleton Arms · Mabel’s Tavern · Malet Place · Maple Street · Marylebone Road · Marylebone Road · Masons Arms · Medburn Street · Midland Road · Mornington Crescent · Mornington Cresent · Mortimer Market · Munster Square · Nash Street · Nelsons Wine Bar Ltd · Netley Street · North Cloisters · North Gower Street · Northumberland Arms · Oakshott Court · Osnaburgh Street · Ossulston Estate · Park Crescent Mews East · Park Crescent Mews West · Park Square West · Park Square West · Park Village East · Park Village Mews · Park Village West · Penryn Street · Peto Place · Prince Arthur · Prince Of Wales Feathers · Prince Of Wales Passage · Prince Regent Mews · Purchese Street · Queen Mary’s Gardens · Queen’s Yard · Queens Head & Artichoke · Regent's Park · Regent’s Park · Rhodes Farm · Robert Street · Royal College of Physicians · Royal George · Secrets · Shaker and Company · Simmons Bar · Somers Close · Somers Town · South Cloisters · Spearmint Rhino · St Aloysius Social Club · St Annes · St Mary Magdalene Church · St Pancras Cruising Club · St. James Gardens · Stanhope Street · Starcross Street · Tavistock Bar · The Albany · The Bree Louise · The Broadwalk · The Broadwalk · The Circle · The Cock Tavern · The Court · The Euston Flyer · The George & Dragon · The Lukin · The Place Theatre Bar · The Polygon · The Purple Turtle · The Rocket · The Royal Parks · The Sheephaven Bay · The Squares Tavern & Wine Bar · The Victory · Thornhaugh Street · Torrington Square · Triton Square · Triton Street · Unity Mews · University College London · Varndell Street · Vault 139 · Warren Street · Warren Street · Whitfield Street · Whittlebury Street · William Road · Woburn Square · Woburn Walk · Woolf Mews · York Bridge · York Terrace West
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Euston · NW1 ·
JANUARY
1
2000

Stanhope Parade is a street in Camden Town.



VIEW THE EUSTON AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE EUSTON AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE EUSTON AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE EUSTON AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE EUSTON AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Euston

London Euston is the southern terminus of the West Coast Main Line - serving Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool and Glasgow.

Euston was the first inter-city railway station in London. It opened on 20 July 1837 as the terminus of the London and Birmingham Railway.

The site was selected in the early 1830s by George and Robert Stephenson, engineers of the London and Birmingham Railway. The area was then mostly farmland at the edge of the expanding city of London. The station was named after Euston Hall in Suffolk, the ancestral home of the Dukes of Grafton, who were the main landowners in the area.

Objections to the station by local farmers meant that, when the Act authorising construction of the line was passed in 1833, the terminus was relocated to Chalk Farm. However, these objections were overcome, and in 1835 an Act authorising construction of the station at its originally planned site was passed, and construction went ahead.

The original station was built by William Cubitt. It was designed by the classically trained architect Philip Hardwick and initially it had only two platforms, one for departures and one for arrivals. Also designed by Hardwick was a 72 foot-high Doric propylaeum, the largest ever built, erected at the entrance as a portico and which became known as the Euston Arch.

The station grew rapidly over the following years as traffic increased. It was greatly expanded in the 1840s, with the opening in 1849 of the spectacular Great Hall, designed by Hardwick's son Philip Charles Hardwick in classical style.

In the early 1960s it was decided that a larger station was required. Because of the restricted layout of track and tunnels at the northern end, enlargement could be accomplished only by expanding southwards over the area occupied by the Great Hall and the Arch. Amid much public outcry, the station building including the Arch was demolished in 1961-2 and replaced by a new building. Its opening in 1968 followed the electrification of the West Coast Main Line.

A few remnants of the older station remain: two Portland stone entrance lodges and a war memorial. A statue of Robert Stephenson by Carlo Marochetti, previously in the old ticket hall, stands in the forecourt.

On 12 May 1907 the City and South London Railway (C&SLR, now the Bank branch of the Northern Line) opened a station at Euston as the terminus of a new extension from its existing station at Angel.
Print-friendly version of this page

Maps


Central London, north west (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Central London, north west.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Cruchley's New Plan of London (1848) FREE DOWNLOAD
Cruchley's New Plan of London Shewing all the new and intended improvements to the Present Time. - Cruchley's Superior Map of London, with references to upwards of 500 Streets, Squares, Public Places & C. improved to 1848: with a compendium of all Place of Public Amusements also shewing the Railways & Stations.
G. F. Cruchley

Cary's New And Accurate Plan of London and Westminster (1818) FREE DOWNLOAD
Cary's map provides a detailed view of London. With print date of 1 January 1818, Cary's map has 27 panels arranged in 3 rows of 9 panels, each measuring approximately 6 1/2 by 10 5/8 inches. The complete map measures 32 1/8 by 59 1/2 inches. Digitising this map has involved aligning the panels into one contiguous map.
John Cary

John Rocque Map of London (1762) FREE DOWNLOAD
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map covers central London at a reduced level of detail compared with his 1745-6 map.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1843) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured.
Chapman and Hall, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1836) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Insets: A view of the Tower from London Bridge -- A view of London from Copenhagen Fields. Includes views of facades of 25 structures "A comparison of the principal buildings of London."
Chapman and Hall, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.