Staples Corner, NW2

Motorway junction in/near Dollis Hill, existing between 1926 and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
34.232.62.209 
MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Fullscreen map
Motorway junction · Dollis Hill · NW2 ·
July
28
2018

Staples Corner is named after the Staples Mattress Factory - Harold Heal commissioned its design and building of the- which stood here from 1926 until 1986.

Staples Corner has two linked roundabouts and flyovers, which connect the A406 North Circular Road with the A5 Edgware Road and the start of the M1 motorway.

Originally built in the 1920s, the Staples Corner junction was built in accordance with plans from the 1960s to continue the M1 further south to West Hampstead. The plan was cancelled in 1973.

There is a large retail park at Staples Corner, located between the A5 and the railway line. Close by is the Brent Cross Shopping Centre.

On 11 April 1992, a Provisional IRA van bomb devastated Staples Corner, causing serious damage to roads and nearby buildings and the closure of the junction. Another bomb exploded near the junction on 8 October 1993, causing damage but no injuries.

The B&Q DIY store damaged by the bomb (on the site of the original mattress factory) was demolished, and replaced by a branch of Staples office supplies.

The format of the Staples Corner junction was modified during the reconstruction works necessitated by the bombings. An additional sliproad onto the M1 from the east was added to remove the need for traffic coming from that direction to travel around the roundabout to access the motorway.


Main source: Staples Corner - Wikipedia
Further citations and sources


xxx



 

Dollis Hill

Dollis Hill tube station lies on the Jubilee Line, between Willesden Green and Neasden. Metropolitan Line trains pass though the station, but do not stop.

The Dollis Hill Estate was formed in the early 19th century, when the Finch family bought up a number of farms in the area to form a single estate. Dollis Hill House itself was built in the 1820s.

William Ewart Gladstone, the UK Prime Minister, was a frequent visitor to Dollis Hill House in the late 19th century. The year after his death, 1899, Willesden Council acquired much of the Dollis Hill Estate for use as a public park, which was named Gladstone Park.

Mark Twain stayed in Dollis Hill House in the summer of 1900. He wrote that ’Dollis Hill comes nearer to being a paradise than any other home I ever occupied’.

The code-breaking Colossus computer, used at Bletchley Park during the Second World War, was built at the Post Office Research Station in Dollis Hill by a team lead by Tommy Flowers. The station was relocated to Martlesham Heath at the end of the 1970s.

A World War II bunker for Winston Churchill called Paddock is located here.

The fictional Dollis Hill Football Club features occasionally in the British satirical magazine Private Eye, and Dollis Hill tube station, although real, is frequently played in the radio panel game Mornington Crescent.
Print-friendly version of this page