Print-friendly version of this page New Southgate was formerly known as the hamlet of Betstile.
Station Road dates from the time that the railway came to New Southgate.
Gas came to New Southgate in 1858. That year the Southgate and Colney Hatch Gas Light and Coke Limited set up a gasworks in Station Road.
Houses were provided for the gas company’s workers in Lee Street
and Albert Street
. These were demolished when the course of Station Road was altered in the 1970s. They were very basic terraced workmen’s cottages with outside toilets. They were built in the shadow of three huge gasholders.
Before 1815 most of the houses lay in Hertfordshire or Edmonton, apart from Betstile House on the corner of Friern Barnet
and Oakleigh roads, but by 1846 others stood north of the road, on the site of the former Friern great park, and the former Friern Little park in Oakleigh Road had been divided into plots with cottages. Since the mid 19th century Betstile has been better known as New Southgate.
The railway station was built in 1851 as Colney Hatch & New Southgate or Colney Hatch changed its name five times such as from New Southgate for Colney Hatch to New Southgate and Friern Barnet
on 1 May 1923; its current name dates to 1971.