Station Road, N11

Road in/near New Southgate, existing between 1851 and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
3.214.184.250 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302020Fullscreen map
Road · New Southgate · N11 ·
July
15
2016

Station Road dates from the time that the railway came to New Southgate.


Gas came to New Southgate in 1858. That year the Southgate and Colney Hatch Gas Light and Coke Limited set up a gasworks in Station Road.

Houses were provided for the gas company’s workers in Lee Street and Albert Street. These were demolished when the course of Station Road was altered in the 1970s. They were very basic terraced workmen’s cottages with outside toilets. They were built in the shadow of three huge gasholders.


Main source: Home | Friern Barnet & District Local History Society
Further citations and sources


xxx



 

New Southgate

New Southgate was formerly known as the hamlet of Betstile.

Before 1815 most of the houses lay in Hertfordshire or Edmonton, apart from Betstile House on the corner of Friern Barnet and Oakleigh roads, but by 1846 others stood north of the road, on the site of the former Friern great park, and the former Friern Little park in Oakleigh Road had been divided into plots with cottages. Since the mid 19th century Betstile has been better known as New Southgate.

The railway station was built in 1851 as Colney Hatch & New Southgate or Colney Hatch changed its name five times such as from New Southgate for Colney Hatch to New Southgate and Friern Barnet on 1 May 1923; its current name dates to 1971.
Print-friendly version of this page