Strawberry Vale is now simply a road - it was once an estate.
The old name for the area was Brownswell. A well had been ’late re-edified’ for travellers on the Great North Road in 1593. A cottage stood there by 1623 and the Huntsman, by 1731 called the Green Man, by 1718. In 1754 there were some three buildings at Brownswell.
Meadow land fronting the common was advertised in 1796 as a delightful situation for building. By 1814 a few buildings stood on the west side of the Great North Road, north of the Green Man.
The enclosure of Finchley Common
did not lead to a sudden spread of building. Some houses were built at Strawberry Vale east of the road near Brownswell by James Frost, who acquired an estate there in 1816.
In 1854, 87 acres allotted at enclosure to Bibbesworth were sold to the St. Pancras burial board, which sold 30 acres to that of St. Mary, Islington. In 1855 St. Marylebone opened a cemetery on 26 acres of farmland south of East End Road
, between the demesne lands of Bibbesworth and Bibwell.
The St. Pancras and Islington burial grounds were enlarged in 1876 by the purchase of the Strawberry Vale estate - James Frost had built some houses there and sold the rest as a farm to James Morison, founder of the British College of Health.
The line of the Strawberry Vale road altered when the North Circular Road was built.