Surrey Street, WC2R
Road in/near Aldwych, existing between 1678 and now
Print-friendly version of this page Aldwych is a closed station on the London Underground; formerly a branch line of the Piccadilly Line.
Surrey Street was built on land once occupied by Arundel House
and its gardens.
was the property of the Howard family, Dukes of Norfolk. Surrey Street and its neighbouring streets, Arundel Street
, Howard Street
and Norfolk Street
, were all built after Arundel House
was demolished by the earl of Arundel in 1678.
The street was joined on its eastern side by Howard Street
before that street was demolished in the 1970s. The entire western half of the street has formed part of the Strand
Campus of King’s College London
since the end of World War II.
Former inhabitants of Surrey Street include the diarist John Evelyn.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
It was opened in 1907 with the name Strand
, after the street on which it is located, and was the terminus and only station on the short Piccadilly
line branch from Holborn
that was a relic of the merger of two railway schemes. The station building is close to the junction of Strand
and Surrey Street, near Aldwych
. During its lifetime, the branch was the subject of a number of unrealised extension proposals that would have seen the tunnels through the station extended southwards, usually to Waterloo.
Served by a shuttle train for most of their life and suffering from low passenger numbers, the station and branch were considered for closure several times. A weekday peak hours-only service survived until closure in 1994, when the cost of replacing the lifts was considered too high compared to the income generated.
Disused parts of the station and the running tunnels were used during both World Wars to shelter artworks from London's public galleries and museums from bombing.
The station has long been popular as a filming location and has appeared as itself and as other London Underground stations in a number of films. In recognition of its historical significance, the station is a Grade II listed building.