Print-friendly version of this page South Hackney is a district in the London Borough of Hackney situated 4 miles (6.4 km) north east of Charing Cross.
Bonners Hall was named for Bishop Bonner.
John Fuller, a judge died there in 1592 and as did Sir Hugh Platt in 1594. By 1612 the house was tenemented.
In 1642, the site contained five additional houses. In 1655 the mansion house was taken down and the materials were used to build four new houses. Substantial rebuilding may have taken place after 1671. By 1741 three or four wooden houses had joined the main building on the west. The most easterly, next to the lane, was a pub.
After this there was little change before the creation of Victoria Park in the 1840s.
It is immediately north of Victoria Park and the area centred on Victoria Park Road
and Lauriston Road
. Sometimes called Victoria Park Village, particularly by estate agents, to distinguish the residential area from the rest of Hackney.