The Paddocks, HA9

Road in Kingsbury

 HOME  ARTICLE  MAP  FULLSCREEN  EDIT  STREETS  RECENT  BLOG  HELP 
Click here to log in on Facebook Advanced
MAPPING:1750180018301860190019302017Fullscreen map
Road · Kingsbury · HA9 · Contributed by The Underground Map
MARCH
12
2017


The Paddocks is one of the streets in the Barn Hill area of Wembley.

The Paddocks is a main road leading from the Fryent Way roundabout into Wembley.

Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence

VIEW THE KINGSBURY AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE KINGSBURY AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE KINGSBURY AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE KINGSBURY AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE KINGSBURY AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

 
 Upload an image
You can add an image to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 Add new information to this location
You can add text to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 
 Log on via Facebook
You can use a Facebook id to add material to this website.

Address not listed? Add it here...
Go to Wembley Park

Wembley Park

Wembley Park is a London Underground station, the nearest Underground station to the Wembley Stadium complex.

Tracks were laid through the area by the Metropolitan Railway (MR, now the Metropolitan Line) when it extended its services from Willesden Green to Harrow-on-the-Hill. Services to Harrow started on 2 August 1880 although Wembley Park station was not constructed until later.

The station was constructed to serve the pleasure grounds developed by the MR at Wembley Park, a former country estate bought by the company in 1881 as a destination for excursion trips on the company's trains. The station opened for the first time on 14 October 1893 and initially operated to serve only Saturday football matches in the park. It opened fully on 12 May 1894.

Later in the 1890s, the Great Central Railway's (GCR's) London extension was constructed adjacent to the MR's tracks. The tracks pass under the entrance building but the station has never been served by mainline operators.
In 1905 the tracks were electrified and the first electric trains became operational. Between 1913 and 1915, the MR added additional tracks to double the line's capacity.

On 10 December 1932, the MR opened a branch line north from Wembley Park to Stanmore.

Originally, the MR served all stations south from Wembley Park to Baker Street station but the line suffered from congestion due to limited capacity on the tracks heading into Baker Street. Following the combination of the MR and London's other underground railways to form the London Passenger Transport Board (LPTB) in 1933, the LPTB took steps to alleviate the congestion by constructing new Bakerloo Line tunnels from Baker Street to connect to the Metropolitan's tracks south of Finchley Road station. From 20 November 1939, the Bakerloo Line then took over the Metropolitan stopping services between Wembley Park and Finchley Road and the Stanmore branch.

To handle the exceptional passenger numbers associated with the 1948 Olympics held at Wembley Stadium, the original station building was extended and given a new ticket hall and additional circulation routes and platform stairs. At the opening of the Jubilee Line on 1 May 1979, the Bakerloo service from Baker Street to Stanmore was transferred to the new line.

When the UEFA European Football Championship was held at Wembley in 1996, a large staircase was constructed leading down from the 1948 extension and under the newly-built Bobby Moore Bridge, which had opened in 1993. This was intended as a temporary structure and remained in its unfinished state until 2004, when extensive work began on the station in conjunction with the reconstruction of Wembley Stadium. Additional facilities were provided to handle event crowds, and the staircase was completed in time for the opening of the new stadium in 2007.


LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Brent Town Hall:   Brent Town Hall (formerly Wembley Town Hall) is a landmark in Brent, a borough in northwest London, England. Pevsner described it as the best of the modern town halls around London, neither fanciful nor drab.
Chalkhill Estate:   Chalkhill Estate was one of three large estates built in the London Borough of Brent. The design was based on that of Park Hill in Sheffield.
Kingsbury:   Kingsbury station was opened on 10 December 1932 as part of the Stanmore branch of the Metropolitan Railway and served by that company’s electric trains.
Roe Green:   Roe Green was an original garden village.
Uxendon Farm:   Uxendon was once more important than Wembley.
Uxendon Shooting Grounds:   Uxendon Shooting Grounds was the location of the clay pigeon shooting for the 1908 Olympics.


NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Adams Close, NW9 · Alington Crescent, NW9 · Alpha House, NW9 · Barn Hill, HA9 · Barn Rise, HA9 · Barn Way, HA9 · Barnhill Cottages, HA9 · Berkeley Road, NW9 · Beverley Gardens, HA9 · Birchen Close, NW9 · Birchen Grove, NW9 · Blackbird Hill, NW9 · Bowater Road, HA9 · Bowman Trading Estate, NW9 · Brampton Road, NW9 · Burgess Avenue, NW9 · Chalkhill Road, HA9 · Church Drive, NW9 · Church Lane, NW9 · Colin Crescent, NW9 · Colin Gardens, NW9 · Colin Parade, NW9 · Colin Park Road, NW9 · Colindeep Lane, NW9 · Corringham Road, HA9 · Court Way, NW9 · Crossway, NW9 · Crundale Avenue, NW9 · Deanscroft Avenue, NW9 · Dunster Drive, NW9 · Edgware Road, NW9 · Elmcroft Gardens, NW9 · Elthorne Road, NW9 · Eton Grove, NW9 · Eversley Avenue, HA9 · Forty Avenue Grand Parade, HA9 · Fryent Way, NW9 · Garrick Road, NW9 · Girton Avenue, NW9 · Goldsmith Lane, NW9 · Grand Parade, HA9 · Grendon Gardens, HA9 · Holden Avenue, NW9 · Holly Grove, NW9 · Hyde Estate Road, NW9 · Hyde House, NW9 · Irving Way, NW9 · Jubilee Close, NW9 · Kings Court, HA9 · Kings Drive, HA9 · Kingsbury Arcade, NW9 · Kingsbury Trading Estate, NW9 · Kingsbury, NW9 · Laburnum Grove, NW9 · Langdon Drive, NW9 · Ledway Drive, HA9 · Leith Close, NW9 · Lewgars Avenue, NW9 · Lynton Avenue, NW9 · Mallard Way, NW9 · Manor Close, NW9 · Maple Grove, NW9 · Mersham Drive, NW9 · Mount Drive, HA9 · New Way Road, NW9 · Old Church Lane, NW9 · Old Kenton Lane, NW9 · Oxenpark Avenue, HA9 · Poolsford Road, NW9 · Poplar Grove, HA9 · Princes Avenue, NW9 · Ravenscroft Avenue, HA9 · Reeves Avenue, NW9 · Rook Close, HA9 · Rookery Way, NW9 · Rossdale Drive, NW9 · Runbury Circle, NW9 · Rushgrove Avenue, NW9 · Rushgrove Parade, NW9 · Russell Road, NW9 · Salmon Street, NW9 · Scottwell Drive, NW9 · Sheaveshill Avenue, NW9 · Sheaveshill Parade, NW9 · Slough Lane, NW9 · St Andrews Road, NW9 · St Matthias Close, NW9 · Stewart Close, NW9 · Sunnymead Road, NW9 · Technology Park, NW9 · The Avenue, HA9 · The Crossways, HA9 · The Drive, HA9 · The Hyde Industrial Estate, NW9 · The Hyde, NW9 · The Paddocks, HA9 · Townsend Lane, NW9 · Tudor Gardens, NW9 · Uxendon Hill, HA9 · Valley Drive, NW9 · Varley Parade, NW9 · Waltham Avenue, NW9 · Wentworth Hill, HA9 · West Close, HA9 · West Hill, HA9 · Westmoreland Road, NW9 · Wilberforce Road, NW9 · Wimborne Drive, NW9 · Winchester Avenue, NW9 · Windsor Crescent, HA9 · Woodland Close, NW9 · Wykeham Hill, HA9 ·


USING THIS MATERIAL IN OTHER ARTICLES


COMMENTS

Print-friendly version of this page

What is The Paddocks, HA9 like as a place to live?

TRANSPORTATION
Good
DAILY LIFE
Good
SAFETY
Good
HEALTH
Average
SPORTS AND LEISURE
Good
ENTERTAINMENT
Good
DEMOGRAPHICS
Average
Data from placeilive.com/

Links

Wembley Park
Facebook Page
Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
Londonist
All-encompassing website
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Time Out
Listings magazine

Maps


John Rocque Map of Wembley, Kingsbury, Willesden and Harlesden (1762)
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map covers an area from Harrow in the northwest to Harlesden in the southeast.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 


COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or – from the available evidence – are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.