The Ridgeway, NW7

Road in/near Mill Hill, existing until now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
35.175.113.29 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302020Fullscreen map
Road · Mill Hill · NW7 ·
December
28
2019

The Ridgeway is a very ancient, perhaps prehistoric, route.


Parson Street was the northward continuation of Brent Street in Hendon. This road led via Holders Hill to Bittacy Hill, at the top of which it wase the Ridgeway - already called this by 1471. The Ridgeway followed high ground towards Highwood Hill, where it met a road which ran north-eastward across the parish from a point south of Edgware bridge to Totteridge, passing through the Hale and known in its western portion as Deans Lane, in the centre as Selvage Lane, and in the east as Marsh Lane. Another route established by 1594 left Parson Street and followed Ashley Lane, Dole Street and Milespit Hill, to join the Ridgeway at Mill Hill. A third route ran from the parish church along the present Hall Lane, Page Street, Featherstone Hill and Wise Lane, to join the Ridgeway beside the Three Hammers pub.


Main source: Hendon: Communications | British History Online
Further citations and sources


xxx



 

Mill Hill

Mill Hill lies along The Ridgeway, with green belt either side.

There are a number of areas of Mill Hill, but the core is Mill Hill Village.

Partingdale and Burtonhole form a distinct valley north of The Ridgeway. North is Folly Farm and Folly Brook, a tributary of the Dollis Brook, running west to east. Between The Ridgeway and Folly Brook are the National Institute for Medical Research, Burtonhole Farm, a garden centre called Finchley Nurseries, and several sports grounds.

Arrandene Open Space and Featherstone Hill is a large open space which is bordered by Wise Lane, Wills Grove, Milespit Hill and The Ridgeway. While there are many open spaces in the area, Arrandene is unique because of its many open fields, meadows and woodland. The open fields were originally hay meadows which provided feed for the horses pulling carriages north to Barnet and beyond.

There is a non-denominational Mill Hill Cemetery, formerly known as the 'Paddington District Cemetery'. The 1960s pop singer Billy Fury is buried there, and there are also some Dutch war graves. To the southwest is a small suburban district called Poets' Corner, and to the north an old estate, now a nature reserve, Moat Mount Open Space.

With Mill Hill Village as the core of Mill Hill, railway expansion in the nineteenth century brought the developments of Mill Hill Broadway and Mill Hill East, both having separate centres from Mill Hill itself.
Print-friendly version of this page