The Strand, WC2R

Road in Holborn

 HOME  ARTICLE  MAP  FULLSCREEN  STREETS  RECENT  BLOG  HELP  CONTACT 
Click here to log in on Facebook Advanced
MAPPING:1750180018301860190019302017Fullscreen map
Road · Holborn · WC2R · Contributed by The Underground Map
JANUARY
1
2000


This location is in the database but we do not know any more about it.

If you wish to contibute information to this location, or any other location, you can use your Facebook login to authorise The Underground Map app and tell other users the story of your area, street or house.

The app is simply used to authorise users and will not post to Facebook.
VIEW THE HOLBORN AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE HOLBORN AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE HOLBORN AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE HOLBORN AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE HOLBORN AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

 
 Upload an image
You can add an image to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 Add new information to this location
You can add text to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 
 Log on via Facebook
You can use a Facebook id to add material to this website.

Address not listed? Add it here...
Go to Holborn

Holborn

Holborn is both an area and also the name of the area's principal street, known as High Holborn between St. Giles's High Street and Gray's Inn Road and then Holborn Viaduct between Holborn Circus and Newgate Street.

The area's first mention is in a charter of Westminster Abbey, by King Edgar, dated to 959. This mentions 'the old wooden church of St Andrew' (St Andrew, Holborn). The name Holborn may be derived from the Middle English hol for hollow, and bourne, a brook, referring to the River Fleet as it ran through a steep valley to the east.

It was at first outside the City's jurisdiction and a part of Ossulstone Hundred in Middlesex. The original Bars were the boundary of the City of London from 1223, when the City's jurisdiction was extended beyond the Walls, at Newgate, into the suburb here, as far as the point where the Bars where erected, until 1994 when the border moved to the junction of Chancery Lane. In 1394 the Ward of Farringdon Without was created, but only the south side of Holborn was under its jurisdiction with some minor properties, such as parts of Furnival's Inn, on the northern side.

The Holborn District was created in 1855, consisting of the civil parishes and extra-parochial places of Glasshouse Yard, Saffron Hill, Hatton Garden, Ely Rents and Ely Place, St Andrew Holborn Above the Bars with St George the Martyr and St Sepulchre. The Metropolitan Borough of Holborn was created in 1900, consisting of the former area of the Holborn District and the St Giles District, excluding Glasshouse Yard and St Sepulchre, which went to the Metropolitan Borough of Finsbury. The Metropolitan Borough of Holborn was abolished in 1965 and its area now forms part of the London Borough of Camden.

In the 18th century, Holborn was the location of the infamous Mother Clap's molly house but in the modern era High Holborn has become a centre for entertainment venues to suit more general tastes: 22 inns or taverns were recorded in the 1860s and the Holborn Empire, originally Weston's Music Hall, stood between 1857 and 1960, when it was pulled down after structural damage sustained in the Blitz. The theatre premièred the first full-length feature film in 1914, The World, the Flesh and the Devil, a 50-minute melodrama filmed in Kinemacolour.

Charles Dickens took up residence in Furnival's Inn, on the site of the former Prudential building designed by Alfred Waterhouse now named Holborn Bars. Dickens put his character Pip, in Great Expectations, in residence at Barnard's Inn opposite, now occupied by Gresham College. Staple Inn, notable as the promotional image for Old Holborn tobacco, is nearby. The three of these were Inns of Chancery. The most northerly of the Inns of Court, Gray's Inn, is in Holborn, as is Lincoln's Inn: the area has been associated with the legal professions since mediaeval times, and the name of the local militia (now Territorial Army unit, the Inns of Court & City Yeomanry) still reflects that. Subsequently the area diversified and become recognisable as the modern street.

A plaque stands at number 120 commemorating Thomas Earnshaw's invention of the Marine chronometer, which facilitated long-distance travel. At the corner of Hatton Garden was the old family department store of Gamages. Until 1992, the London Weather Centre was located in the street. The Prudential insurance company relocated in 2002. The Daily Mirror offices used to be directly opposite it, but the site is now occupied by Sainsbury's head office.

Hatton Garden, the centre of the diamond trade, was leased to a favourite of Queen Elizabeth I, Sir Christopher Hatton at the insistence of the Queen to provide him with an income. Behind the Prudential Building lies the Anglo-Catholic church of St Alban the Martyr.

In the early 21st century, Holborn has become the site of new offices and hotels: for example, the old neoclassical Pearl Assurance building near the junction with Kingsway was converted into an hotel in 1999.

Holborn station is located at the junction of High Holborn and Kingsway. Situated on the Piccadilly and Central Lines, it is the only station common to the two lines, although the two lines also cross each other three times in West London.

The station was opened by the Great Northern, Piccadilly and Brompton Railway (GNP&BR, now the Piccadilly Line) on 15 December 1906 with the name Holborn (Kingsway). Kingsway was a new road, cutting south from High Holborn through an area of cleared slums to Strand. The suffix was dropped from tube maps in the 1960s.


LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Ackermann’s:   Rudolph Ackermann (20 April 1764 in Stollberg, Saxony – 30 March 1834 in Finchley) was an Anglo-German bookseller, inventor, lithographer, publisher and businessman.
Aldwych:   Aldwych is a closed station on the London Underground; formerly a branch line of the Piccadilly Line.
Courtauld Institute of Art:   The Courtauld Institute of Art is a self-governing college of the University of London specialising in the study of the history of art.
Embankment:   Embankment underground station has been known by various names during its long history - including "Embankment".
Holborn:   Holborn is both an area and also the name of the area's principal street, known as High Holborn between St. Giles's High Street and Gray's Inn Road and then Holborn Viaduct between Holborn Circus and Newgate Street.
Shipley's Drawing School:   101 The Strand was an art school from 1750 until 1806.
Temple:   Temple is a London Underground station in the City of Westminster, on the Victoria Embankment. It is the nearest tube station for King's College London and the London School of Economics.
Waterloo Bridge:   Waterloo Bridge is a road and foot traffic bridge crossing the River Thames in London, England between Blackfriars Bridge and Hungerford Bridge.


PHOTOS OF THE AREA
Blackmoore Street (1902):   This photo depicts Blackmoor Street which was in the Drury Lane slum, with Clare Court on the left
Houghton Street (1906):   A greengrocer's on the corner of Houghton Street and Clare Market (behind The Strand) in 1906 just before demolition.
New Inn Passage (1901):   The corner of Houghton Street and New Inn Passage taken on a 1901 photo just prior to the clearence of the area for the Aldwych-Kingsway improvement scheme.
Strand (1890s):   The Strand in the 1890s
Wild Street (1902):   Wild Street, in the Covent Garden area, was on the edge of the Kingsway improvements which would utterly transform the area in the following years.
Wych Street:   Wych Street was a street in London, roughly where Australia House now stands on Aldwych. It ran west from the church of St Clement Danes on the Strand to a point towards the southern end of Drury Lane.


NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Adam Street, WC2N · Adelphi Terrace, WC2N · Africa House, WC2B · Aldwych, WC2 · Arundel Street, WC2R · Atkin Building, WC1R · Australia House, WC2B · Beaumont Buildings, WC2B · Bedford Row, WC1R · Bell Yard, WC2A · Bow St Covent Garden, WC2E · Bow Street, WC2B · Broad Court, WC2B · Bull Inn Court, WC2R · Burleigh Street, WC2E · Carey Street, WC2A · Catherine Street, WC2B · Catton Street, WC1R · Central Arcade, WC2E · Clare Market, WC2A · Clements Inn, WC2A · Coptic Street, WC1A · Crown Court, WC2B · Dane Street, WC1R · Devereux Court, WC2R · Drury Lane, WC2B · Dryden Street, WC2E · Eagle Street, WC1R · Essex Street, WC2R · Exchange Court, WC2R · Exeter Street, WC2E · Field Court, WC1R · Fisher Street, WC1R · Fulwood Place, WC1V · Gate Street, WC2A · Grays Inn Place, WC1R · Grays Inn Square Chambers, WC1R · Grays Inn Square, WC1R · Great Queen Street, WC2B · Hand Court, WC1V · Hanover Place, WC2E · High Holborn, WC1V · Holborn, WC1V · Houghton Street, WC2A · Hungerford House, WC2N · James Street, WC2E · Jockeys Fields, WC1R · Jubilee Market Hall Tavistock Court, WC2E · Kean Street, WC2B · Kingsway, WC2B · Lancaster Place, WC2E · Lincolns Inn Fields, WC2A · Lion Court, WC1V · Little Essex Street, WC2R · Little Turnstile, WC1V · Macklin Street, WC2B · Maltravers Street, WC2R · Milford Lane, WC2R · Museum Street, WC1A · New Oxford Street, WC1A · New Square, WC2A · Newton Street, WC2B · North East Wing Bush House, WC2B · North West Wing Bush House, WC2B · Old Buildings, WC2A · Old Square, WC2A · Parker Mews, WC2B · Parker Street, WC2B · Portsmouth Street, WC2A · Portugal Street, WC2A · Princeton Street, WC1R · Procter Street, WC1V · Proctor Street, WC1V · Raymond Buildings, WC1R · Red Lion Square, WC1R · Red Lion Street, WC1R · Robert Street, WC2N · Russell Chambers, WC2E · Russell Street, WC2B · Sandland Street, WC1R · Sardinia House, WC2A · Sardinia Street, WC2A · Savoy Court, WC2R · Savoy Hill, WC2R · Savoy Place, WC2N · Savoy Place, WC2R · Savoy Street, WC2E · Savoy Street, WC2R · Sheffield Street, WC2A · Sicilian Avenue, WC1A · South East Wing Bush House, WC2B · South Square, WC1R · Southampton Street, WC2E · Southampton Street, WC2R · St Clements Lane, WC2A · St Giles House, WC2B · Stedham Place, WC1A · Strand, WC2A · Strand, WC2B · Strand, WC2N · Strand, WC2R · Stukeley Street, WC2B · Surrey Street, WC2R · Tavistock Street, WC2E · Temple Place, WC2R · The Arcade, WC2B · The Australia Centre, WC2B · The Strand, WC2N · The Strand, WC2R · Verulam Buildings, WC1R · Victoria Embankment Gardens, WC2N · Victoria Embankment, WC2N · Victoria Embankment, WC2R · Victoria House, WC1A · Warwick Court, WC1R · Wellington Street, WC2E · Wellington Terrace, W2 · West Central Street, WC1A · Wild Court, WC2B · Wild Street, WC2B · Yorkshire Grey Yard, WC1R ·


USING THIS MATERIAL IN OTHER ARTICLES


COMMENTS

Print-friendly version of this page

What is The Strand, WC2R like as a place to live?

Data from placeilive.com/

Links

Temple
Facebook Page
Leicester Square
Facebook Page
Holborn
Facebook Page
Westminster
Facebook Page
Embankment
Facebook Page
Covent Garden
Facebook Page
Charing Cross
Facebook Page
Chancery Lane
Facebook Page
Russell Square
Facebook Page
Waterloo
Facebook Page
Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
Edith’s Streets
A wander through London, street by street

Maps


Central London, north east (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Central London, north east.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Cruchley's New Plan of London (1848) FREE DOWNLOAD
Cruchley's New Plan of London Shewing all the new and intended improvements to the Present Time. - Cruchley's Superior Map of London, with references to upwards of 500 Streets, Squares, Public Places & C. improved to 1848: with a compendium of all Place of Public Amusements also shewing the Railways & Stations.
G. F. Cruchley

Cary's New And Accurate Plan of London and Westminster (1818) FREE DOWNLOAD
Cary's map provides a detailed view of London. With print date of 1 January 1818, Cary's map has 27 panels arranged in 3 rows of 9 panels, each measuring approximately 6 1/2 by 10 5/8 inches. The complete map measures 32 1/8 by 59 1/2 inches. Digitising this map has involved aligning the panels into one contiguous map.
John Cary

John Rocque Map of London (1762) FREE DOWNLOAD
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map covers central London at a reduced level of detail compared with his 1745-6 map.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1843) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured.
Chapman and Hall, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1836) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Insets: A view of the Tower from London Bridge -- A view of London from Copenhagen Fields. Includes views of facades of 25 structures "A comparison of the principal buildings of London."
Chapman and Hall, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 


COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or – from the available evidence – are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.