Contemporary view of the area - viewing direction is appoximate
Lambeth Bridge is on the site of a horse ferry between the Palace of Westminster and Lambeth Palace on the south bank.
The first modern bridge was a suspension bridge, 828 feet long, designed by Peter W. Barlow. Sanctioned by an Act of Parliament in 1860, it opened as a toll bridge in 1862 but doubts about its safety, coupled with its awkwardly steep approaches deterring horse-drawn traffic, meant it soon became used almost solely as a pedestrian crossing. It ceased to be a toll bridge in 1879 when the Metropolitan Board of Works assumed responsibility for its upkeep — it was by then severely corroded, and by 1910 it was closed to vehicular traffic.
The London County Council prepared a masterplan for the area, including a replacement road bridge linking to a widened Horseferry Road, which was authorised by London County Council (Lambeth Bridge) Act 1924. Before work had started on the project, the 1928 Thames flood caused extensive destruction of property in the Millbank area. Following the flood the Chelsea Embankment was rebuilt and raised, resulting in some minor redesign of the approaches, and creating the open space to the south of Lambeth Bridge now known as Victoria Tower Gardens South. During the period of delay, the bridge was also redesigned to be able to cope with a higher weight of motorised traffic.
The current structure, a five-span steel arch, designed by engineer Sir George Humphreys and architects Sir Reginald Blomfield and G. Topham Forrest, was built by Dorman Long
If you authorise our The Undeground Map Facebook app by clicking the Facebook logo at the top right of the screen, you can add stories, photos and more to this location. Note that the Undeground Map Facebook app does not post to Facebook on your behalf.
Added: 24 Aug 2017 04:00 GMT
Expires: 7 Sep 2017 04:00 GMT
Post by LDNnews: Piccadilly Circus Rival gang members banned from making YouTube rap videos in landmark court ruling Two notorious city gangs have been banned from making YouTube music videos that promote violence in a landmark court ruling.
Post by LDNnews: Embankment Borough Market to become Britain's first to ban plastic bottles Borough Market is to become the first street market in Britain to ban the sale of disposable plastic drinks bottles in an effort to reduce ocean pollution.
Post by LDNnews: Charing Cross Wayne Rooney retires from international football: England icon bows out as highest ever goalscorer Wayne Rooney has retired from international football as England's all-time top goalscorer.
I was born in a prefab on Saunders street SE11 in the 60’s, when I lived there, the road consisted of a few prefab houses, the road originally ran from Lollard street all the way thru to Fitzalan street. I went back there to have a look back in the early 90’s but all that is left of the road is about 20m of road and the road sign.
Added: 23 Aug 2017 11:00 GMT
Expires: 6 Sep 2017 11:00 GMT
Post by LDNnews: Southwark August Bank Holiday: Londoners face weekend of travel chaos as engineering works close stations across the capital Passengers travelling in and around London over the Bank Holiday weekend face a myriad of travel woes as engineering works will result in rail closures and suspensions across the capital.
Post by LDNnews: Blackfriars Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp has moved to cool talk that his relationship with Philippe Coutinho has been harmed by the Brazilian's desire to join Barcelona. Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp has moved to cool talk that his relationship with Philippe Coutinho has been harmed by the Brazilian's desire to join Barcelona.
Post by LDNnews: Piccadilly Circus
Stormzy records video with excitable mother for her son
Laurie Evans, 29, from London, tweeted a video of his mother Susie meeting Stormzy. Susie rapped along to the rapper’s most famous hit Shut Up, getting the post tens of thousands of likes.
Post by LDNnews: Embankment An entire fleet of supercars was slapped with fines in front of smiling passers-by after they illegally parked in London's Covent Garden. An entire fleet of supercars was slapped with fines in front of smiling passers-by after they illegally parked in London's Covent Garden.
Post by LDNnews: Covent Garden Alex-Oxlade Chamberlain from Arsenal to Chelsea: What we know so far Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain's future at Arsenal is still the subject of intense debate after weeks of being linked with a big-money transfer to Chelsea.
Post by LDNnews: Charing Cross When is the Carabao Cup third-round draw and where can I follow it? The second round of the League Cup gets underway on Tuesday night as clubs look to get their name in the hat for the third-round draw, when the top seven from last season's Premier League join the competition.
Post by LDNnews: Southwark London MP sets up all-party group to combat knife crime A London MP will launch a parliamentary group on knife crime next month to try to find ways to reduce the number of young deaths.
Post by LDNnews: Blackfriars Manchester City 1 Everton 1: Wayne Rooney and Raheem Sterling on target as both sides end with 10 men Wayne Rooney scored his 200th Premier League goal but Raheem Sterling came off the bench to snatch a 1-1 draw for Manchester City against Everton.
Post by LDNnews: Becontree Hush, Soho: great food, but don't expect great service Much like a teenager's, Hush's 18th birthday redesign has all the promise of a great night out but is slightly wobbly on its feet, says Bianca Barratt
The name is recorded in 1062 as Lambehitha, meaning ’landing place for lambs’, and in 1255 as Lambeth. The name refers to a harbour where lambs were either shipped from or to. It is formed from the Old English ’lamb’ and ’hythe.
South Lambeth is recorded as Sutlamehethe in 1241 and North Lambeth is recorded in 1319 as North Lamhuth. The marshland in the area, known as Lambeth Marshe, was drained in the 18th century but is remembered in the Lower Marsh street name. Sometime after the opening of Waterloo railway station in 1848 the locality around the station and Lower Marsh became known as Waterloo.
Lambeth Palace is located opposite the Palace of Westminster. The two were linked by a horse ferry across the Thames.
Until the mid-18th Century the north of Lambeth was marshland, crossed by a number of roads raised against floods.
With the opening of Westminster Bridge in 1750, followed by the Blackfriars Bridge and Vauxhall Bridge, a number of major thoroughfares were developed through Lambeth, such as Westminster Bridge Road, Kennington Road and Camberwell New Road.
In William Blake’s epic Milton a Poem, the poet John Milton leaves Heaven and travels to Lambeth, in the form of a falling comet, and enters Blake’s foot. This allows Blake to treat the ordinary world as perceived by the five senses as a sandal formed of "precious stones and gold" that he can now wear. Blake ties the sandal and, guided by Los, walks with it into the City of Art, inspired by the spirit of poetic creativity. The poem was written between 1804 and 1810.
LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Garden Museum: The first museum in the world dedicated to the history of gardening. Lambeth: The ’Lamb’ in Lambeth really means just that.
PHOTOS OF THE AREA
Beet Court (1910): Photograph of Beet Court aka Lemon Court, in 1910. Gunner's Cottages (1910): Gunner’s Cottages, off Salamanca Street, Lambeth 1910. Lambeth High Street (1860): This photograph of the Windmill inn, Lambeth High Street, dates from 1860 Old Red Cow: The Old Red Cow (right of picture) Wake Street: Wake Street (King Street before the 1880s) was featured in photos from the Picture Post edition of 31 December 1938. Waterloo Air Terminal (1953): Officially known as the British European Airways Waterloo Air Terminal, the building was officially opened on the Festival of Britain site on 19 May 1953 by the then Minister of Aviation. York Wharf: York Wharf, photographed in 1866.
NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Cruchley's New Plan of London Shewing all the new and intended improvements to the Present Time. - Cruchley's Superior Map of London, with references to upwards of 500 Streets, Squares, Public Places & C. improved to 1848: with a compendium of all Place of Public Amusements also shewing the Railways & Stations.
Cary's map provides a detailed view of London. With print date of 1 January 1818, Cary's map has 27 panels arranged in 3 rows of 9 panels, each measuring approximately 6 1/2 by 10 5/8 inches. The complete map measures 32 1/8 by 59 1/2 inches.
Digitising this map has involved aligning the panels into one contiguous map.
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés.
Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death.
The map covers central London at a reduced level of detail compared with his 1745-6 map.
Engraved map. Hand coloured.
Insets: A view of the Tower from London Bridge -- A view of London from Copenhagen Fields. Includes views of facades of 25 structures "A comparison of the principal buildings of London."
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License;
additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.
Public domainPublic domainfalsefalse
Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or – from the available evidence – are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domainPublic domainfalsefalse
Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.